Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore)

Search This thread

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing back to stock using RSD Lite (Unrooting a rooted phone by .sbf)

Tutorial Video can be found here... kind of... very close!
http://www.kimete.com/sbfrsd.html

= = =

The fine print: This information is provided without warranty. I can not be held responsible if you **** up. I simply wrote a walkthrough/tutorial. I did not produce the procedure or the steps. I just simply consolidated all the information into a single place with notes to make things easier to understand and execute. You are welcome to share this information anywhere you want. Please do credit me for writing it. Lastly, please link back to the original site if possible. I try to format the text in such a way that it is more easy to understand. Lastly, I ask that everyone who uses this pays it forward by helping others figure out their own phones. Now on to the procedure.

I am running Windows XP SP3/32bit.

= = =
Steps 1 and 2 can be skipped. You just need to download the latest version of the SBF file (currently 2.3.20). Link coming soon.

1. Download 2.3.20 SBF file for D2

You can find it here: http://www.iamthewalcs.com/Support-Files/Droid 2 2.3.2 SBF.zip

2. Extract the .zip file and put the .sbf file somewhere where you can easily find it.

3. Download RSD Lite 4.7. (RSD Lite 4.7 is not the same as RSD Lite 4.7.2)
[RSD Lite 4.9 works as well]

Reference: http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-2-how-tos/4393-how-sbf-flash-droid-2-a.html

RSD Lite 4.9 Here!
http://droid2files.com/tools/RSD Lite 4.9.zip

New: Download to RSDLite 4.7 with patch.
http://kimete.com/droid/RSDLite47patch.zip

There is a link to download RSD Lite 4.7 + patch here as well. Includes an installer (.msi) and the patch (.ini).

4. Install the program (rsdlite_4.7.msi) or RSDLite 4.9. Follow instructions until completion.

5. Next, extract the patch (pst_flash.ini) to the Motorola/RSD Lite folder. It'll ask you if you want to overwrite the file. Choose yes. (Don't think you need this for version 4.9, but don't quote me on that).

(My file path to place the file was: My Computer -> C Drive -> Program Files -> Motorola -> RSD Lite)

6. You'll need to have the Motorola Drivers. You probably already have them, but if you don't, you can get them here:

http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-...tware_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers

KalenXI noted that you can't use the same Motorola drivers that you used for root from the other thread. You must use these updated drivers with MotoConnect. Thank you sir!

7. Now would be a good time to back up anything on your SD card to your computer. Plug in your Droid2 to the computer via USB cable. Pull down the notification menu/blind, choose USB connection, and then choose USB Mass Storage Device. Now there should be a removable storage in your "My Computer." Go through your SD card and back up your important things. Probably the DCIM and download folder. You should also make sure that your phone is set up to "Back Up Data." Go to the system menu (the 4 squares icon/button in the lower left), choose Settings, then Privacy, then make sure the "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" are checked.

8. You now need to put your phone in bootload mode. In order to do so, power down your phone. Slide open your keyboard, hold the "up" key (the arrow closest to the enter button), and power on your phone. You should come up with a black background and text with something along the line of d2.35 and usb okay.

9. Now you can open RSD Lite. Go to your Start Menu, Program Files, and you should see RSD Lite. In the title of the newly open window, make sure the version is 4.7.

Edit: If you opened RSDLite and your device is not showing, you might need to open it as an admin. Go to program files/motorola/rsdlite/sdl.exe, and right cllick and run as an administrator. Reference by JonandRoid. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8000565&postcount=12

10. Wait a few minutes until your device shows in the table. It should say A955, port 1, connected, etc.

11. Toward the top of the window, there is filename/blank field. To the right of it, there is "..." button. Click it. Now find your .sbf with the open window that popped up. Select "Droid2_X6_2.2...SECURE.sbf", or the latest version of your sbf, and press open. Back to the program window, press Start (right next to the "...") Your phone should now start flashing the firmware to the phone. Just let it run it's course. It's going to reboot and start up again. You'll know when it is done when the Progress field in the table of RSD Lite says complete. This may take a little bit. Maybe 5-10 minutes.

After your phone reboots and doesn't get past the boot animation (wait at least 5 or 10 minutes),

a. Turn off your phone
b. Hold down X on the keyboard
c. Turn on your phone while continuing to hold X
d. When you get the Android guy with a '!' in a triangle push the search button on the keyboard (the magnifying glass button, two keys to the left of the space bar)
e. Select both 'wipe cache' and 'wipe data' from the menu.
f. Reboot your phone

If you do steps a-f, you probably won't need to do these following steps.
12. I do not know if this will work or not, but if it does, you guys might not need to do the rest unless you truly do want to fully factory reset your phone. This step is UNCONFIRMED.

To get back onto the Verizon Wireless network, dial *22899 and press send. It should update your phone and you'll be back on the network. (Referenced from ITGuy11 at the link below.)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7933189&postcount=12

13. Your phone still has everyone on it. You'll probably realize that you now have no 3G or phone service and are roaming. Now you need to Factory Reset your phone. Go to the system menu (the 4 squares icon/button in the lower left), choose Settings, then Privacy, the choose Factory Data Reset. Follow the instructions and agreeing to wipe your phone clean. It will ask you to confirm, and/or ask you to enter your security pin/security pattern. It'll reboot itself and run its course.

14. Your phone will eventually be put back to factory settings. You'll then be greeted by the new user/account wizard. Follow the directions. They'll ask you to program/update your phone, enter in some login info, and then your phone will be back to brand new, just like the day you walked out of the Verizon store, except with the BackUp Manager service, all your applications and contacts will be downloaded back onto the phone!

That's it! That wasn't so bad was it?!

= = =

If you found this tutorial helpful, and would like to do something for me, please donate to my PayPal. I am short on rent by $100 this month. I am a student, and moving to a new place and I need to produce first months rent, last months, and a deposit. I am not expecting to profit from this tutorial. Honestly, I am just doing this to help others. I just need some help with rent this month. All donations are appreciated, even if it is a dollar. If everyone donated even a dollar or two, I'd be set! PayPal info coming soon!

Another edit: PayPal: darkonion@kimete.com

Another quick note, I'll be adding references sometime soon. It is almost 5 in the morning and I want to go to bed!

Last edited:

bcs296

Aug 28, 2010
This is awesome, thank you. This tutorial and your rooting instructions (with all of the extra clarification) are very helpful. I know it's not much but I am going to try to send a few bucks your way (from one poor college student to another? :)).

Reactions: pyroboy1080

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
This is awesome, thank you. This tutorial and your rooting instructions (with all of the extra clarification) are very helpful. I know it's not much but I am going to try to send a few bucks your way (from one poor college student to another? :)).

Thank you. Any little bit is appreciated. Just need to get to the end of the week.

USB debugging should also be enabled. It's found in the Settings -> Applications -> Development.

Thank you, sir. I will post that in the tutorial in a moment.

= = =

Also, according to ITGuy11, you can dial *22899 to update your phone to get it back on the Verizon network.

LosAngeles

Mar 1, 2010
I am a fail. Didn't read the whole tutorial. Assumed it was like the D1 sbf. Ok still have an issue though, When i get to the bootloader RSDlite and my phone do nothing, still says im missing a certain driver for the phone S Flash driver not found. Anyone know why thats happening?

Last edited:

KalenXI

Aug 26, 2010
Baltimore
I am a fail. Didn't read the whole tutorial. Assumed it was like the D1 sbf. Ok still have an issue though, When i get to the bootloader RSDlite and my phone do nothing, still says im missing a certain driver for the phone S Flash driver not found. Anyone know why thats happening?

I had that same error, upgrading to the latest Motorola drivers fixed it. I'd post a link but the forums won't let me so just search for "motorola drivers" on google, go to the first link, go to "USB Drivers and PC Charging Drivers" and download the "Motorola 4.6.5 Driver with MotoConnect" drivers.

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
I had that same error, upgrading to the latest Motorola drivers fixed it. I'd post a link but the forums won't let me so just search for "motorola drivers" on google, go to the first link, go to "USB Drivers and PC Charging Drivers" and download the "Motorola 4.6.5 Driver with MotoConnect" drivers.

That makes sense. I got my drivers from when I installed Easy Tether. Driver files were on the phone. That's probably why it worked. So, solution to the problem is downloade the latest drivers!

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
Thanks! What is everyone's experiences with this tutorial? I want to make sure that it makes sense and is complete. I wrote it from memory after flashing my phone.

kageurufu

Jul 28, 2010
20:56:42, September 03, 2010
Line: 587
ERROR: Flash failure: Interface BP: Error sending RAM download for bootloader. Device API Error: 0xE0030009 Address: 0x19EC00 Command: ADDR (Error Code: e0030009),
Detailed Error Details: Direction of the Error=1000, Command Value=200000, Code Group Number=257
File: D:\test_dev_usb\flash\code\flashdll\FlashHdlr.cpp
Device ID: 0

its still working afterwards, but lost root, etc. its now running 2.2.20, but I'm wary somethings messed up. should I root, install bootstrapper, and wipe, or just let it go (it still has all my apps and settings)

JonandRoid

Aug 31, 2010
Durham, NC
this is great....thank you sooo much. worked out perfect. just an fyi if you cant get rsd lite to recognize your phone on vista go to the ...motorola/rsdlite/sdl.exe and right click as administrator. wouldnt work before i did that. but everything was so smooth and great instructions, would donate but broke too..lol

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
20:56:42, September 03, 2010
Line: 587
ERROR: Flash failure: Interface BP: Error sending RAM download for bootloader. Device API Error: 0xE0030009 Address: 0x19EC00 Command: ADDR (Error Code: e0030009),
Detailed Error Details: Direction of the Error=1000, Command Value=200000, Code Group Number=257
File: D:\test_dev_usb\flash\code\flashdll\FlashHdlr.cpp
Device ID: 0

its still working afterwards, but lost root, etc. its now running 2.2.20, but I'm wary somethings messed up. should I root, install bootstrapper, and wipe, or just let it go (it still has all my apps and settings)

I'd just let it go. Reroot and move on with your life! If something did go wrong, reflash again.

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
this is great....thank you sooo much. worked out perfect. just an fyi if you cant get rsd lite to recognize your phone on vista go to the ...motorola/rsdlite/sdl.exe and right click as administrator. wouldnt work before i did that. but everything was so smooth and great instructions, would donate but broke too..lol

Glad to hear it works. I'll add the note onto the tutorial.

knoxx

Aug 11, 2010
Jerz
Ughh this is frustrating.. When i get to the part where i have to select the Droid2....SBF file, the start button isn't highlighted so i cant press it. but when i choose the other SBF file, it's highlighted

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
Ughh this is frustrating.. When i get to the part where i have to select the Droid2....SBF file, the start button isn't highlighted so i cant press it. but when i choose the other SBF file, it's highlighted

Do you have updated drivers? Don't quote me on this, but maybe flash one file and then flash the other?

kageurufu

Jul 28, 2010
That's what I did, I flashed the other file (successfully) and rooted. Didn't bother factory resetting or anything.

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

kageurufu

Jul 28, 2010
And today I was having problems, so I used the bootstrap recovery to wipe cache and data, and then sbf'd from the bootloader

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

joeld82

Jul 6, 2010
How exactly do you download the device drivers? Ive tried a million times and the link given on the motorola website just keeps giving me zipped up documents. Really starting to piss me off.

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
How exactly do you download the device drivers? Ive tried a million times and the link given on the motorola website just keeps giving me zipped up documents. Really starting to piss me off.

You are moving in the right direction. Inside the zipped file, there is the install file, .msi, I believe, that you double click to install your drivers and MotoConnect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing back to stock using RSD Lite (Unrooting a rooted phone by .sbf)

Tutorial Video can be found here... kind of... very close!
    http://www.kimete.com/sbfrsd.html

= = =

The fine print: This information is provided without warranty. I can not be held responsible if you **** up. I simply wrote a walkthrough/tutorial. I did not produce the procedure or the steps. I just simply consolidated all the information into a single place with notes to make things easier to understand and execute. You are welcome to share this information anywhere you want. Please do credit me for writing it. Lastly, please link back to the original site if possible. I try to format the text in such a way that it is more easy to understand. Lastly, I ask that everyone who uses this pays it forward by helping others figure out their own phones. Now on to the procedure.

I am running Windows XP SP3/32bit.

= = =
    Steps 1 and 2 can be skipped. You just need to download the latest version of the SBF file (currently 2.3.20). Link coming soon.

1. Download 2.3.20 SBF file for D2

You can find it here: http://www.iamthewalcs.com/Support-Files/Droid 2 2.3.2 SBF.zip

2. Extract the .zip file and put the .sbf file somewhere where you can easily find it.

3. Download RSD Lite 4.7. (RSD Lite 4.7 is not the same as RSD Lite 4.7.2)
    [RSD Lite 4.9 works as well]

Reference: http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-2-how-tos/4393-how-sbf-flash-droid-2-a.html

RSD Lite 4.9 Here!
    http://droid2files.com/tools/RSD Lite 4.9.zip

New: Download to RSDLite 4.7 with patch.
    http://kimete.com/droid/RSDLite47patch.zip

There is a link to download RSD Lite 4.7 + patch here as well. Includes an installer (.msi) and the patch (.ini).

4. Install the program (rsdlite_4.7.msi) or RSDLite 4.9. Follow instructions until completion.

5. Next, extract the patch (pst_flash.ini) to the Motorola/RSD Lite folder. It'll ask you if you want to overwrite the file. Choose yes. (Don't think you need this for version 4.9, but don't quote me on that).

(My file path to place the file was: My Computer -> C Drive -> Program Files -> Motorola -> RSD Lite)

6. You'll need to have the Motorola Drivers. You probably already have them, but if you don't, you can get them here:

http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-...tware_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers

KalenXI noted that you can't use the same Motorola drivers that you used for root from the other thread. You must use these updated drivers with MotoConnect. Thank you sir!

7. Now would be a good time to back up anything on your SD card to your computer. Plug in your Droid2 to the computer via USB cable. Pull down the notification menu/blind, choose USB connection, and then choose USB Mass Storage Device. Now there should be a removable storage in your "My Computer." Go through your SD card and back up your important things. Probably the DCIM and download folder. You should also make sure that your phone is set up to "Back Up Data." Go to the system menu (the 4 squares icon/button in the lower left), choose Settings, then Privacy, then make sure the "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" are checked.

8. You now need to put your phone in bootload mode. In order to do so, power down your phone. Slide open your keyboard, hold the "up" key (the arrow closest to the enter button), and power on your phone. You should come up with a black background and text with something along the line of d2.35 and usb okay.

9. Now you can open RSD Lite. Go to your Start Menu, Program Files, and you should see RSD Lite. In the title of the newly open window, make sure the version is 4.7.

Edit: If you opened RSDLite and your device is not showing, you might need to open it as an admin. Go to program files/motorola/rsdlite/sdl.exe, and right cllick and run as an administrator. Reference by JonandRoid. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8000565&postcount=12

10. Wait a few minutes until your device shows in the table. It should say A955, port 1, connected, etc.

11. Toward the top of the window, there is filename/blank field. To the right of it, there is "..." button. Click it. Now find your .sbf with the open window that popped up. Select "Droid2_X6_2.2...SECURE.sbf", or the latest version of your sbf, and press open. Back to the program window, press Start (right next to the "...") Your phone should now start flashing the firmware to the phone. Just let it run it's course. It's going to reboot and start up again. You'll know when it is done when the Progress field in the table of RSD Lite says complete. This may take a little bit. Maybe 5-10 minutes.

After your phone reboots and doesn't get past the boot animation (wait at least 5 or 10 minutes),

a. Turn off your phone
    b. Hold down X on the keyboard
    c. Turn on your phone while continuing to hold X
    d. When you get the Android guy with a '!' in a triangle push the search button on the keyboard (the magnifying glass button, two keys to the left of the space bar)
    e. Select both 'wipe cache' and 'wipe data' from the menu.
    f. Reboot your phone

If you do steps a-f, you probably won't need to do these following steps.
    12. I do not know if this will work or not, but if it does, you guys might not need to do the rest unless you truly do want to fully factory reset your phone. This step is UNCONFIRMED.

To get back onto the Verizon Wireless network, dial *22899 and press send. It should update your phone and you'll be back on the network. (Referenced from ITGuy11 at the link below.)

13. Your phone still has everyone on it. You'll probably realize that you now have no 3G or phone service and are roaming. Now you need to Factory Reset your phone. Go to the system menu (the 4 squares icon/button in the lower left), choose Settings, then Privacy, the choose Factory Data Reset. Follow the instructions and agreeing to wipe your phone clean. It will ask you to confirm, and/or ask you to enter your security pin/security pattern. It'll reboot itself and run its course.

14. Your phone will eventually be put back to factory settings. You'll then be greeted by the new user/account wizard. Follow the directions. They'll ask you to program/update your phone, enter in some login info, and then your phone will be back to brand new, just like the day you walked out of the Verizon store, except with the BackUp Manager service, all your applications and contacts will be downloaded back onto the phone!

That's it! That wasn't so bad was it?!

= = =

If you found this tutorial helpful, and would like to do something for me, please donate to my PayPal. I am short on rent by $100 this month. I am a student, and moving to a new place and I need to produce first months rent, last months, and a deposit. I am not expecting to profit from this tutorial. Honestly, I am just doing this to help others. I just need some help with rent this month. All donations are appreciated, even if it is a dollar. If everyone donated even a dollar or two, I'd be set! PayPal info coming soon!

Another edit: PayPal: darkonion@kimete.com

Another quick note, I'll be adding references sometime soon. It is almost 5 in the morning and I want to go to bed!
    Same thing happened to me! How did you fix it?

Me too.... the problem was that I had a 2.3.2 rom and the above SBF was for 2.3.0

here is the updated SBF = droid2files dot com/tools/VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf
    Greetings,

I had Gummy ROM installed on my Droid 2 and decided to flash back to stock for a bit. I downloaded the stock rom 2.1 from Droid Fiend and put it on my SD card. I booted into recovery, mounted system, formated system, wiped cache and data, load ROM from SD and it got stuck. The little progress bar was on the bottom, but it was not moving at all. After about 10 minutes of nothing, I pulled the battery to try again.

Seems like something along there was a mistake...

My D2 would only show the White round "M" and not progress. I booted into the D2.35 bootloader by holding the up arrow and tried to recover by flashing SBF using the steps listed Here. That completed successfully.

However, now it only boots to the white text Bootloader D2.35

On the screen is says:

Boatloader D2.35
    Err:A5,0,70,00,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
    Service Req'd
    Battery OK
    OK to Program
    Connect USB
    Data Cable

I tried to run through the SBF steps a couple more times, but always with the same result. It seems like something is preventing the regular boot and I am stuck in this Bootloader D2.35.

Any clue as to what I should do next?

Thank you for any advice.

Doug M.

I had a very similiar problem to this at one point. This is going to be very vague but there is a button combo you can hold down while booting up so that your computer will still be able to see the phone. Hopefully someone knows what buttons to press or just do it trial and error like I did haha. Once the computer connedted I just spf again and it worked. The on ly difference is what I did was fat fingered some key in bootstrap and formatted the entire system and I did not use the full system sbf. Sorry if this sounds like a run on sentence but I just wanted to give you some hope because if your phone is in the screen you described you should be able to save it. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the hope. I can connect to the PC just fine, but using RSD Lite to install the SBF files, leaves me stuck in the bootloader. Hopefully someone will have a recommendation.

Doug M.

Can you boot into the bootloader, and try wipe cache and data...

Hold X and press the power button. Then, when it loads, press the magnifying glass left of the space bar, then wipe data and cache...