Wifi reception poor and slow connection using Cromni

Search This thread

Paprika88

Jan 11, 2013
Hi my first tablet was a xoom.
I've optimized it a lot since I first bought it.
My father has been meaning to get a tablet as well. And so I insisted he buy an older model tablet and save money and still get a great performance since I would "work my magic - all thanks to you guys at xda" to unlock it and install a custom rom for him.

He settled on the TF700.

Ever since we got it we had a bad connection with it. Compared to my xoom its day and night. Sure its a nicer tablet better resolution lighter slimmer. But a tablet with a lowsy wifi connection is rendered pretty useless.

I was pretty confident that installing a custom rom and have it overclocked it would perform better.
With Stock CROMI JB 4.2.1 installed I've noticed improvements... it opens apps quickly and runs smoothly, its only anything involving the internet that doesn't work well..

What can I do? Is it just a lousy wifi chip? is there an app I can get? Would installing the rom onto a microsd help? (Although he would prefer the slot to be free, that's why we opted for the tf700 over say a nexus 10).

Last edited:

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
If you installed a CROMi rom - that's quite old. You should move to CROMi-X 5.4.

The Wifi connection problem is not related to the rom you're running unless you flashed the WW version although you live in the US....
I've been following the clean roms for more than a year and I can assure you, that is not where the problem is. Everybody having problems with WiFi had them for some other reason.

Approach it from the router side. Reset it, change the channel, try WiFi fixer from the Play Store, turn off WiFi optimization in WiFi settings etc. and try the tablet on a different wifi network.

Paprika88

Jan 11, 2013
If you installed a CROMi rom - that's quite old. You should move to CROMi-X 5.4.

The Wifi connection problem is not related to the rom you're running unless you flashed the WW version although you live in the US....
I've been following the clean roms for more than a year and I can assure you, that is not where the problem is. Everybody having problems with WiFi had them for some other reason.

Approach it from the router side. Reset it, change the channel, try WiFi fixer from the Play Store, turn off WiFi optimization in WiFi settings etc. and try the tablet on a different wifi network.

Okay great thank you, I'll try everything you've suggested and post my result.
He did mention getting better connectivity staying at a hotel...

Paprika88

Jan 11, 2013
So I tried everything and not seeing any improvement.
I checked and i always had the 5.4version so I didn't have to change that.
I got WiFi fixer and turned off optimization
Router wise I tried to add device to Mac filter tried to remove fire wall and pass word tried different channel and mixed b/g settings etc.
Tried with a different router as well.
Have yet to try static IP.

Its consistent its just the range. When I,m right next to my router I have no problem. But the range is so small with my Xoom I can be outside and still get reception.

Now I,d like to return it but I can,t un-unlock it and return it to manufacturer.
I,d sell it on swappa but who would want a defective tablet.

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Router wise I tried to add device to Mac filter tried to remove fire wall and pass word tried different channel and mixed b/g settings etc.

Its consistent its just the range. When I,m right next to my router I have no problem. But the range is so small with my Xoom I can be outside and still get reception.

Now I,d like to return it but I can,t un-unlock it and return it to manufacturer.

Mhhh - I seem to remember someone resolving a wifi connect issue by restricting the router to the n-band???
If you moved up to CROMi-X, try a different kernel or reflash the stock rom and check if it is any better on that.
Have you tried the tablet on any other wifi connection than the one at home?

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon

I am not sure if you have a poor reception or a slow internet speed...:confused: If you have a poor reception, you can not do much because of your hardware or a low power of your wifi antenna...:( If you have a slow internet speed, you could try browser2ram to improve the speed. I found out that the TCP congestion control choice also helps your internet speed with a poor reception. You could try westwood congestion control too see if it helps, good luck...:fingers-crossed:

Paprika88

Jan 11, 2013
Mhhh - I seem to remember someone resolving a wifi connect issue by restricting the router to the n-band???
If you moved up to CROMi-X, try a different kernel or reflash the stock rom and check if it is any better on that.
Have you tried the tablet on any other wifi connection than the one at home?

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Well that helped I tried a different kernel and now I have reception about a room farther. Its almost bareable. I'll play around and try the other kernels. I went with the beta one not the extreme version.

Any kernel you might recommend?

At least this gives me hope there are tweaks out there I just have to find them...
I know its not the internet though I have excellent speed tests results. And performance on all my other devices simultaneously

Also does world wide or us SKU make a difference? And how can I tell if my tablet is us vs worldwide?

Last edited:

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Well that helped I tried a different kernel and now I have reception about a room farther. Its almost bareable. I'll play around and try the other kernels. I went with the beta one not the extreme version.

Any kernel you might recommend?

At least this gives me hope there are tweaks out there I just have to find them...
I know its not the internet though I have excellent speed tests results. And performance on all my other devices simultaneously

Also does world wide or us SKU make a difference? And how can I tell if my tablet is us vs worldwide?

Ha! That could be it! WW (Europe) uses different wifi modules. If you chose the WW option in the installer and you are in the US or CN (or vice versa), that could make the difference.
sbdags has a kernel installer somewhere (in post 2 I think). Flashing that file allows you to change kernels on the fly without reflashing the whole rom. Although you will have to do that if you did choose the wrong region.

I recommend any of _that's kernels. They are the most stable IMO and give you the best performance unless you want to tweak scheduler, govenor, OC etc yourself.

I am noticing a similar issue. I am use @_that 10 with CROMI 5.4 and I cannot get speed test to do more the 8 Mbps download. My Galaxy S5 pointed at the same speed test server downloads at 30 Mbps. I have Verizon FIOS with a 25/25 connection and their WiFi N router.

I tried changing the IP congestion settings but it did not matter.

Just seems slow. I do not have an issue getting reception just slow speeds in comparison.

Any ideas? Is this speed normal?

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I am noticing a similar issue. I am use @_that 10 with CROMI 5.4 and I cannot get speed test to do more the 8 Mbps download. My Galaxy S5 pointed at the same speed test server downloads at 30 Mbps. I have Verizon FIOS with a 25/25 connection and their WiFi N router.

I tried changing the IP congestion settings but it did not matter.

Just seems slow. I do not have an issue getting reception just slow speeds in comparison.

Any ideas? Is this speed normal?

I hope this information helps. I have a 45MBps for my cable modem and my internet speed test is shown on average during the day about 28-30MBps and 32-35MBps at late night on my device....:)

Edit: Are you using DSL or cable modem? My previous DSL internet provider is very slow too for some reason and maybe my location is too far from the internet provider but I have a better internet speed with cable modem...:) FYI

Last edited:
I hope this information helps. I have a 45MBps for my cable modem and my internet speed test is shown on average during the day about 28-30MBps and 32-35MBps at late night on my device....:)

That tells me that my device should be doing better the 8Mbps it is showing in tests :) Now to figure out why.

All my other devices routinely get 25-30Mbps downloads except my TF700T.

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
That tells me that my device should be doing better the 8Mbps it is showing in tests :) Now to figure out why.

It will be fun to troubleshoot the internet speed because there are so many variables that could slow down your speed. It could be the time of day and the internet traffic of the server. However, if it is consistently low comparing with your other devices, then the culprit is your setup on your device, good luck...:fingers-crossed:

Reactions: philow
It will be fun to troubleshoot the internet speed because there are so many variables that could slow down your speed. It could be the time of day and the internet traffic of the server. However, if it is consistently low comparing with your other devices, then the culprit is your setup on your device, good luck...:fingers-crossed:

Set my Router to N only and got 28Mbps Thanks for listening LOL

Reactions: LetMeKnow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Set my Router to N only and got 28Mbps Thanks for listening LOL