[Q] Galaxy Tab Youtube lag

Search This thread

Network_Pro

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi, Model GT-P7510 (tegra2 chip)
Samsung's Android 4.0.4 ROM completely breaks the YouTube experience, especially compared to Samsung's Android 3.2 ROM

I am very unhappy that I paid ~430€ for a tablet that will not be properly engineered and supported, and with falsely advertise features!

Looks like the blame is mostly with NVIDIA for the tegra2 software code and subpar hardware design. Samsung also are to blame because they failed to have a productive relationship with NVIDIA and failed to request a working platform. I also blame google because they failed to hack a solution.

Now it's up to the rouge hackers and smart xda developers, to come up with a wild workaround.

NVIDIA should have recalled this chip and Samsung should have recalled the tablet!

Last edited:

Network_Pro

I discovered the reason for the LAG.

Screenshot attached.

P.S. there's significant frame drops while the video parts are downloading so big stuttering when video parts BEGIN downloading and smaller but still deal-breaking problems while the video part continues to download.

P.S. 2: With Android 3.2, (youtube app latest) when that segment pre-load starts (after a moment of radio silence while the previous is played), a little bit of stutter is noticed but too little to be deal breaker. Where as on Android 4 there is huge frame loss which is a big deal breaker. + small stutters immediately after the big one.

I believe the "recognised developer" crowd can take a look at priorities and networking behavior VS app IO / video playback at the same time and do some tweak? (publish app fir rooted and tweak their ROMs)
Plus youtube should assist with this if needed (server side), they have left "Feedback" option in the app.
Samsung and Google should swiftly form a working group to resolve at Android OS level.

Attachments

• Android-YouTube-LAG.png
    Android-YouTube-LAG.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Reactions: Simba501

martin26765

Mar 27, 2012
After trying different roms, kernels, youtube app including tubemate playing the videos through mx player which it was a little smoother but still not like it was on honeycomb, i just found out the way, just using chrome, try any youtibe video and it will play smoother than a babys ass. I have tried the test video and its working fine. Try it and tell me. I'm using cm 10 4.1.2 from pershoot with stock kernel, 760-1400 interactive and row.:good:

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland
Don't jump to the gun in blaming Samsung and saying they make bad quality products - part of the reason for this lag is also due to the Tegra 2 processor itself. Yeah, it worked fine in Honeycomb, but seemingly in ICS the Tegra 2 has a really bad time trying to decode HD videos and drivers

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

Network_Pro

Ultimately Samsung should have taken care of their product and their customers.

They should have tweaked the hardware design (if the tegra2 allows it) to accomodate for H.264 720p streaming.

Does anyone have any more experience or insight to share on this problem?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm using the Fourth Revolution ICS ROM with Yoda 2.4 kernel clocked at 1.2Ghz. I'm not experiencing any lag in Youtube from either the browser (Dolphin) or from the Youtube app (4.2.16).

Try watching this video from youtube on your galaxy tab 10.1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSb5ZSnn2qs

Videos like this (concerts) lag horribly especially.

I'm also on Fourth Bar Revolution ICS, and I tried both Yoda's and A1 Kernel and still have this lag.

Please let us know if the video above lags on yours too..

Thanks!
    I've pretty much gotten rid of lag on my tab.

Im on a jb cm based rom

I have it overclocked to 1.6(a1 kernel) and have a governer that will get to that speed fast

Have force 2d gpu rendering unchecked

And now it will only lag if I bring up the notification bar or tap on the video.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
    Are you sure? Could you guys try that video above on your tablet AND your computer to compare if there DEFINITELY is no lag? No offence, but some people don't notice stutters and lags as much as some other people because not everyone is the same. iPad users are keen to smoothness of course so if there is a SLIGHT lag, they notice, but some people (not all) who have been using Android only for years don't notice as much. I don't know about you guys, so if you do think you are very keen on smoothness, please do tell me and I will try your setups for my galaxy tab (as I just finished restoring everything on mine and set up perfect so that I don't want to do it all over again, and also sometimes the CWM backup doesn't work properly for me).

Also, I thought overclocking to 1.6ghz would drain the battery really fast, no? I've never overclocked my tablet above 1.4ghz.

Thanks.

Looks the same on my tab, my phone(droid DNA, hi specs), and my laptop.

And my tab lasts 2 days with 4-6 hours on screen time.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD
    I didn't have the same experience. HD stutters regardless of clock settings. And it's not the connection; I've seen it do this on a 30mbps down connection.

Sent from my HTC One X
    I discovered the reason for the LAG.

Screenshot attached.

P.S. there's significant frame drops while the video parts are downloading so big stuttering when video parts BEGIN downloading and smaller but still deal-breaking problems while the video part continues to download.

P.S. 2: With Android 3.2, (youtube app latest) when that segment pre-load starts (after a moment of radio silence while the previous is played), a little bit of stutter is noticed but too little to be deal breaker. Where as on Android 4 there is huge frame loss which is a big deal breaker. + small stutters immediately after the big one.

I believe the "recognised developer" crowd can take a look at priorities and networking behavior VS app IO / video playback at the same time and do some tweak? (publish app fir rooted and tweak their ROMs)
    Plus youtube should assist with this if needed (server side), they have left "Feedback" option in the app.
    Samsung and Google should swiftly form a working group to resolve at Android OS level.