[MOD]MobileAP + USB Tethering + OC 1.2Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

msm903

Jul 28, 2007
I think Jr33 was upset he didn't get credit for the mobileap on the whole. Although it's helping the xda community credit should be given where it is due. Not like he's asking for us to pay for it. As I was following the original thread on the Captivate side I did notice that andy2na brought Jr33's app to our attnetion and designgears was able to jump on the ball to make it work minus the use of a terminal. Since andy2na was credited in the first post I would like to think it was just a lapse that Jr33 was not also credited.

In the end thank you everyone for assisting to make this work.
Thank you designgears for the modified Kernel
Thank you Jr33 for the Mobile AP,
Thank you andy2na for bringing it ot our attention on the Captivate side.

Last edited:

jsmith8858

Nov 11, 2008
Boston
As great as the wifi tethering is, thank you even more for reenabling USB tethering! Just what i was hoping for! Haven't tried wifi yet, but usb is working great so far!

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
I dont know what I am doing wrong, but this isn't working for me. I can get into download mode, it looks like Odin3 sees my phone, I select the proper files and click start. The phone reboots (not into recovery mode) but there is no signed-mobileap.captivate.zip file on my phone. Using ROM Manager, I can't locate any such file to flash. Am I supposed to put that file on there somewhere myself?

yes you have to put signed-mobileap.captivate.zip on the root of your internal SD card and rename it update.zip. Then open up Rom Manager and reboot into recovery. Select Reinstall/update packages

If you havent flashed clockworkmod recovery before, do that first (using rom manager), THEN move signed-mobileap.captivate.zip to your internal SD card and rename it to update.zip. THEN reboot into recovery using Rom Manager.

jhernand1102

Sep 11, 2007
SF Bay Area
yes you have to put signed-mobileap.captivate.zip on the root of your internal SD card and rename it update.zip. Then open up Rom Manager and reboot into recovery. Select Reinstall/update packages

If you havent flashed clockworkmod recovery before, do that first (using rom manager), THEN move signed-mobileap.captivate.zip to your internal SD card and rename it to update.zip. THEN reboot into recovery using Rom Manager.

You don't need to rename it or reboot in to recovery, just start ROM manager and select install from sd card and then point it to the mobileap.captivate.zip file, it will reboot into recovery and do it's thing.

zimphishmonger

Jun 4, 2009
andy2na: How did you guys get rid of the wake up lag? I know its in the i9000 source, but a lot of devs (JAC, Eugene, WesGarner, etc) are trying very hard to eliminate wake lag, and this may be helpful. Mind providing the source for the fix? Thanks!

On another note, credit should be given where its due. This isnt the first time Ive seen a VERY similar situation between the i9000, Captivate, and Vibrant forums .:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
andy2na: How did you guys get rid of the wake up lag? I know its in the i9000 source, but a lot of devs (JAC, Eugene, WesGarner, etc) are trying very hard to eliminate wake lag, and this may be helpful. Mind providing the source for the fix? Thanks!

On another note, credit should be given where its due. .:rolleyes:

That question should be directed toward designgears, as he modified the kernel.

msm903

Jul 28, 2007

Please do note with clockwork mod you don't need to rename it to update.zip, you can actually install zip from the sd card and use the native name. Just alot more options to follow.

Nevermind it appears to have been mentioned before.

AJerman

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
Yeah, this is the issue. You guys have to understand that one, we're all working together here, and two, this is an open source project, meaning it's GPL licensed and you have to post your code as well. This community is too worried about credit for everything, and not worried about helping everyone help each other.

Unhelpful has posted patch files for his OC code, and I haven't posted anything more since I was waiting for a new version once we can fix wake lag, but once all the code is shared we can build a kernel that does everything instead of having to choose.

Not trying to take credit from Designgears here but I think I remember reading that the lag was fixed by compiling the kernel with a different toolset.

In either case the effort is appreciated and I will donate as well.
Yeah, apparently the toolchain is where to look. I am compiling a new kernel with a different toolchain now in fact.

Last edited:

Lunged

Jul 17, 2010
Thanks for the help, everyone. That info should probably be added to the original post - as far as I could tell, Odin3 was supposed to do everything for me!

I didn't want to try loading it on there and running it manually in case the flashing hadn't worked correctly.

TerryK1957

Jul 23, 2010
If I have SuperRooter | (CM5 xBin + Root + SideLoading + Unrestricted + SU 2.3.3 + LagFix) with JH3 installed now. Do I have to re-flash the stock JH3 over this or can I install Mobileap + usb teathering over what I have installed already?

TIA

Last edited:

designgears

Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Credit added for Jr33

Sorry I missed that, I was up very late making this possible...

Here is the original thread, I found the issue in init.rc, the mobileAP code was commented out, unlike the vibrant. I flashed a vibrant zImage and MobileAP worked prefect. Which is where I found the differences by compairing the two init.rc files line by line.

--------------

Six pages overnight!! WOW, I will try to make a general post that answer all the questions...

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
Credit added for Jr33

Here is the original thread, I found the issue in init.rc, the mobileAP code was commented out, unlike the vibrant. I flashed a vibrant zImage and MobileAP worked prefect. Which is where I found the differences by compairing the two init.rc files line by line.

--------------

Six pages overnight!! WOW, I will try to make a general post that answer all the questions...

Thanks design, you should probably add that explanation to the OP. If this is posted on the XDA main page, people will wonder "why is it so much easier on the Vibrant, arent they the same phone basically?"

Oh and possibly copy the reasons why this method of wifi tethering is better than the rest from my post, since in Jr33's thread, it was the most frequent question.

Last edited:

asrrin29

Jul 24, 2008
Looks like my Mobile AP is working, but I just wanted to let you know the process was a little weird for me.

First off when I used Odin3 it opened two ports, and when I hot start it installed one thing, rebooted, and then continued running with things grayed out like it wasn't finished. I closed it anyways.

Then, when I used ROM Manager, I selected the signed.zip from the ROM from SD option, and it rebooted my phone, but did not go into recovery mode. instead, it rebooted into the AT&T logo followed by the samsung logo, which sat there far longer than it normally does. After a while it finally booted into my phone and I had my mobile AP.

Is this normal? I'm happy that it worked, I just want to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
Looks like my Mobile AP is working, but I just wanted to let you know the process was a little weird for me.

First off when I used Odin3 it opened two ports, and when I hot start it installed one thing, rebooted, and then continued running with things grayed out like it wasn't finished. I closed it anyways.

Then, when I used ROM Manager, I selected the signed.zip from the ROM from SD option, and it rebooted my phone, but did not go into recovery mode. instead, it rebooted into the AT&T logo followed by the samsung logo, which sat there far longer than it normally does. After a while it finally booted into my phone and I had my mobile AP.

Is this normal? I'm happy that it worked, I just want to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Yes, the first time after using clockworkmod recovery to update packages, it takes a long time to boot (5+ minutes)

mendez91

Aug 10, 2010
Los Angeles
www.chatongalore.com
Great Mod Thanks :D
But there seems to be a problem at least on my phone,
once I click on the Mobile AP Settings, nothing happens
it opens a new window but it stay black for a while, then eventually
i get a message saying it didn't respond and asks me if to force close or wait.
I'm new to all this, but curious in trying new things, so if someone can tell
me if i did something wrong?
Thanks! :D

designgears

Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Great Mod Thanks :D
But there seems to be a problem at least on my phone,
once I click on the Mobile AP Settings, nothing happens
it opens a new window but it stay black for a while, then eventually
i get a message saying it didn't respond and asks me if to force close or wait.
I'm new to all this, but curious in trying new things, so if someone can tell
me if i did something wrong?
Thanks! :D

You didn't flash the new kernel ;)

I think Jr33 was upset he didn't get credit for the mobileap on the whole. Although it's helping the xda community credit should be given where it is due. Not like he's asking for us to pay for it. As I was following the original thread on the Captivate side I did notice that andy2na brought Jr33's app to our attnetion and designgears was able to jump on the ball to make it work minus the use of a terminal. Since andy2na was credited in the first post I would like to think it was just a lapse that Jr33 was not also credited.

In the end thank you everyone for assisting to make this work.
Thank you designgears for the modified Kernel
Thank you Jr33 for the Mobile AP,
Thank you andy2na for bringing it to our attention on the Captivate side.

Thank you, this is exactly the case...

Last edited:

AJerman

Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
Credit added for Jr33

--------------

Yeah, I found the comment in init.rc. Good call on that. I'm going to integrate this into a kernel I'm about to post giving credit to you three. I'm not even going to go into detail, just uncommenting that in init.rc and pointing people to these threads. No reason not to have it uncommented in any future kernels.

designgears

Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Yeah, I found the comment in init.rc. Good call on that. I'm going to integrate this into a kernel I'm about to post giving credit to you three. I'm not even going to go into detail, just uncommenting that in init.rc and pointing people to these threads. No reason not to have it uncommented in any future kernels.

Uncomment the stuff for the FM Radio too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.