Desire HD Vs One X

Search This thread

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
So, we have had a post comparing the DHD to the One S, now how about to the One X. After all, when the DHD came out it was HTCs flagship, just as the One X is now.

Design:
The One X feels nicer in hand. MUCH nicer. Its very comfortable and light weight to hold in hand. It feels better in hand then the Desire HD.

Although it is lighter, it has just enough heft to feel like a cell phone instead of a remote control.

Win: One X

Build Quality:
I wont take into account all the issues that are popping up in the 1x section (bad screens, bad QA, etc.), and I will only comment on the polycarb vs metal aspect of the two phones here.

The 1X feels solid in hand, no doubt. But when you hold the DHD and then hold the 1X you feel very scared of dropping the phone. The 1X does not provide the same feeling of ruggedness and rigidity that the DHD provides to you.

IMO... the 1X feels better then the Sensation did, but it lacks the reassuring solidity of the DHD.

Is this a bad thing? Yes and No. If you really liked the metal design, you will be disappointed as I was. I SERIOUSLY considered returning the device based on this aspect alone. The DHD just feels like a TANK. When I have that phone in hand I feel invincible, where as the 1X... not so much lol.

Win: DHD

Speed:
The 1X wins this HANDS DOWN. Keep in mind I have the North American version with Dual Core S4. The 1X is an instant upgrade.

I won't even comment anymore on this section because thats how much faster it is compared to the Desire HD.

Win: 1X

Battery:
I have only had the device for a few days now and the battery life has been a vast improvement over the DHD. Will comment back on this later in the day if people are curious.

Overall:
So... the question everyone has been waiting for: Is the 1X a true successor to the Desire HD? IMO... No.

The 1X is a very mainstream phone. TBH... it feels like it is the successor to the Sensation. It attempts to be thin and light weight, while sacrificing the metallic feel we all love.

Although it is an upgrade in every.single.way, I can not say that it is the successor to the DHD. I feel HTC designed this phone for mainstream love.

Although I haven't had a chance to hold the 1S in hand, I think its worth a shot to see if it feel better.

Final remarks:
This phone - in no way - feels "plasticy" or "cheap". It just does not have the same feel as the DHD. But it also does not have the same heft either, which imo is a good thing.

So should you upgrade? Yes.

Although I felt the Sensation was not a big enough upgrade from the DHD, I can safely say the 1X is. I suggest everyone who is considering it should do so!

That being said, if the metallic unibody is a big deciding factor, hold off. I'm sure HTCs next flagship will have the MAO body.

Will post pics later in the day.

TheChaoticLlama

Mar 6, 2011
London
Very informative thank you very much. That being said, I will not be upgrading for at least another 6 months. This phone is still a very decent device and I feel it still has a lot of potential. Obviously HTC feels the same, using the same hardware on their mid-range device as well as giving the DHD a 4.0 update. Not bad for a 18 month old device. This phone still competes with the likes of the iPhone 4 which is the second most used phone, slightly behind the 3gs. Who knows? Once 4.0 comes out with the official drivers we might see a dramatic speed increase.

Another reason I will not be getting the One X is simply because I don't feel as if the quad core processor is being optimized to its full extent. It's new technology and needs more attention. I'm not denying the fact it's faster, I just don't think it is being used to its full potential.

andalism

Jun 14, 2010
Got to agree. Frankly if you talk about basic functions, what the 1x can do, the DHD can also do.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
Got to agree. Frankly if you talk about basic functions, what the 1x can do, the DHD can also do.

Very informative thank you very much. That being said, I will not be upgrading for at least another 6 months. This phone is still a very decent device and I feel it still has a lot of potential. Obviously HTC feels the same, using the same hardware on their mid-range device as well as giving the DHD a 4.0 update. Not bad for a 18 month old device. This phone still competes with the likes of the iPhone 4 which is the second most used phone, slightly behind the 3gs. Who knows? Once 4.0 comes out with the official drivers we might see a dramatic speed increase.

Another reason I will not be getting the One X is simply because I don't feel as if the quad core processor is being optimized to its full extent. It's new technology and needs more attention. I'm not denying the fact it's faster, I just don't think it is being used to its full potential.

I agree that the DHD is a capable phone... but I cannot describe how much better the experience is on my XL versus the DHD. Everything the DHD did... this phone does... much better :\

The 1X however wont do anything mind blowingly better. It is essentially a plastic DHD.

TBH... this phone isn't a DHD successor... It's a sensation successor. Once we get a S4Pro device with a MAO body... then THAT will be a successor for the DHD.

A note on Battery Life:

Just came back from work & Battery has 65% charge left. Same usage as my DHD, but DHD would be close to dead by now.

Reactions: targett

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
No worries!

I just retuned my 1X... :(

It had a warmer display with slightly yellower screens. Refused to exchange my unit so I refunded it.

Very disappointed in HTC for using 2 different panels... I won't buy a new HTC device until HTC stops slacking... What is the point of using 2 different screens?

As a comparison: On my DHD with sense 4.0, the messaging and settings looked white... but on my One X it looked... an off white color. Not yellow, but not bright white... Other then that was very nice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, we have had a post comparing the DHD to the One S, now how about to the One X. After all, when the DHD came out it was HTCs flagship, just as the One X is now.

Design:
    The One X feels nicer in hand. MUCH nicer. Its very comfortable and light weight to hold in hand. It feels better in hand then the Desire HD.

Although it is lighter, it has just enough heft to feel like a cell phone instead of a remote control.

Win: One X

Build Quality:
    I wont take into account all the issues that are popping up in the 1x section (bad screens, bad QA, etc.), and I will only comment on the polycarb vs metal aspect of the two phones here.

The 1X feels solid in hand, no doubt. But when you hold the DHD and then hold the 1X you feel very scared of dropping the phone. The 1X does not provide the same feeling of ruggedness and rigidity that the DHD provides to you.

IMO... the 1X feels better then the Sensation did, but it lacks the reassuring solidity of the DHD.

Is this a bad thing? Yes and No. If you really liked the metal design, you will be disappointed as I was. I SERIOUSLY considered returning the device based on this aspect alone. The DHD just feels like a TANK. When I have that phone in hand I feel invincible, where as the 1X... not so much lol.

Win: DHD

Speed:
    The 1X wins this HANDS DOWN. Keep in mind I have the North American version with Dual Core S4. The 1X is an instant upgrade.

I won't even comment anymore on this section because thats how much faster it is compared to the Desire HD.

Battery:
    I have only had the device for a few days now and the battery life has been a vast improvement over the DHD. Will comment back on this later in the day if people are curious.

Overall:
    So... the question everyone has been waiting for: Is the 1X a true successor to the Desire HD? IMO... No.

The 1X is a very mainstream phone. TBH... it feels like it is the successor to the Sensation. It attempts to be thin and light weight, while sacrificing the metallic feel we all love.

Although it is an upgrade in every.single.way, I can not say that it is the successor to the DHD. I feel HTC designed this phone for mainstream love.

Although I haven't had a chance to hold the 1S in hand, I think its worth a shot to see if it feel better.

Final remarks:
    This phone - in no way - feels "plasticy" or "cheap". It just does not have the same feel as the DHD. But it also does not have the same heft either, which imo is a good thing.

So should you upgrade? Yes.

Although I felt the Sensation was not a big enough upgrade from the DHD, I can safely say the 1X is. I suggest everyone who is considering it should do so!

That being said, if the metallic unibody is a big deciding factor, hold off. I'm sure HTCs next flagship will have the MAO body.

Will post pics later in the day.

I agree that the DHD is a capable phone... but I cannot describe how much better the experience is on my XL versus the DHD. Everything the DHD did... this phone does... much better :\

The 1X however wont do anything mind blowingly better. It is essentially a plastic DHD.

TBH... this phone isn't a DHD successor... It's a sensation successor. Once we get a S4Pro device with a MAO body... then THAT will be a successor for the DHD.

A note on Battery Life:

Just came back from work & Battery has 65% charge left. Same usage as my DHD, but DHD would be close to dead by now.