Might be a stupid question...

Search This thread

koreankabachy

Dec 12, 2012
I recently got into gaming and had a little concern. I was wondering if there is an possibility of damaging the screen by playing games for prolong periods of time. Not the actual glass but bleeding effects or something similar. I notice that I sometimes get into the game and realize that I am pressing pretty hard on the screen.

To give you an example... I got into order and chaos and in that game you use the on screen directional to navigate. Last night I was playing for several hours and had my thumb pressed on the directional pretty much the entire time. After I got done playing I was worried about long term effects such as screen bleeding from pressing on the phone to hard.

Not sure if this is even possible with these types of screens but would feel a lot better is someone can confirm. Not worried about pressing so hard to break the glass but things like screen bleeding worries me.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

kimdoocheol

Jan 9, 2012
Are you talking about pushing hard on the screen and having that ripple effect?
Moderate pressure is OK, but I've never pushed down that hard on my screen. Most likely pushing down as hard as you are describing can either crack the screen or cause dead pixels.

If you are talking about playing games for an extended period of time, this could potentially cause burn-in.

koreankabachy

Dec 12, 2012
I guess that is my concern... Burn in and dead pixels... Anyone have this happen? I'm not pushing to the point of potential cracking but harder than typical tapping on a touch screen. I guess I am thinking of tvs and monitors. If you press on the screens, you will get distortion and if done to hard or enough times, can effect the screen. Grated they aren't meant to be touched but I'm still worried about that type of issue. I personally have never heard of this happening on a phone but it doesn't mean it hasn't happened to others.
The main reason I was worried is because my wife's used razr had some dark spots on the screen and not sure how they got there. Not sure if this could have been caused by the previous owner pressing to hard on the screen.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
I guess that is my concern... Burn in and dead pixels... Anyone have this happen? I'm not pushing to the point of potential cracking but harder than typical tapping on a touch screen. I guess I am thinking of tvs and monitors. If you press on the screens, you will get distortion and if done to hard or enough times, can effect the screen. Grated they aren't meant to be touched but I'm still worried about that type of issue. I personally have never heard of this happening on a phone but it doesn't mean it hasn't happened to others.
The main reason I was worried is because my wife's used razr had some dark spots on the screen and not sure how they got there. Not sure if this could have been caused by the previous owner pressing to hard on the screen.

Well pushing on the screen won't cause burn in. Leaving a static image for extended periods of time will. Even then these screens seem to take abuse pretty well. As for pushing on the screen how the heck are you pushing that hard? Yes you could damage it if you see the screen distorting from pressing on it. Was her razr an AMOLED screen? If so amoled screens are know for black splotches on the screen. So if you made the screen on showing black you can see them. My GSIII had two huge spots and my note II has one insanely tiny spot that is hardly noticeable. Well known issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app