[Q] fstab entry for newly-split internal SD partition (rooted tablet)

Search This thread
Device: Teclast P78HD tablet, Allwinner A31 SoC, Android 4.4.2 (rooted) :::: Software: Busybox X (with fdisk, vi, etc.)

The Teclast P78HD tablet has a small 8GB internal eMMC SDcard with an external microSD slot. In order to best make use of the Link2SD utility, I chose to split in half the almost empty 4.7GB (usable) internal SD FAT32 partition and then format the new (primary) second partition to EXT2 EXT3 or EXT4 as used by the Link2SD app.

I used Busybox X to fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk0 ( /mnt/sdcard )

fdisk-parts-16.png

After rebooting, the DiskInfo app showed P1 ( mmcblk0p1 ) partition had shrunk to 2.4GB and, as expected, a new (unmounted) 2.3GB P4 ( mmblk0p4 , type 83, Linux ) was there too.

Connecting to a PC vis USB, I tried to format P4 to ext4 using MiniTool Partitioner (Windows) but it did not see the new partition, I then tried Gparted under Linux but it indicated that neither P1 or P4 existed. Gparted just showed a large 4.7GB "unallocated" block.

[ QUESTIONS ]

1. How do I format the new P4 mmblk0p4 partition to EXT4 using Busybox X on the tablet itself ?

2. Should I use some sort of fsck command to fix any side effects of simply truncating the original P1 mmblk0p1 FAT32 partition ?

3. What entry should I add to the tablet's /fstab.sun6i file shown below to make it automount at boot time ?
Code:
# Android fstab file.
#<src>                                                  <mnt_point>         <type>    <mnt_flags and options>                               <fs_mgr_flags>
# The filesystem that contains the filesystem checker binary (typically /system) cannot
# specify MF_CHECK, and must come before any filesystems that do specify MF_CHECK

/dev/block/by-name/system	/system             ext4      ro                                            	wait
/dev/block/by-name/cache	/cache              ext4      noatime,nosuid,nodev,nomblk_io_submit,barrier=1	wait,check
/dev/block/by-name/databk	/databk             ext4      noatime,nosuid,nodev,nomblk_io_submit,barrier=1	wait,check
/dev/block/by-name/data		/data		        ext4      noatime,nosuid,nodev,nomblk_io_submit,barrier=1,noauto_da_alloc wait,check,encryptable=/dev/block/by-name/databk                                                                           
/devices/virtual/block/nandj  		/mnt/sdcard         vfat    rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000                                       wait,check,noemulatedsd,voldmanaged=sdcard:auto
/devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.2/mmc_host  /mnt/sdcard         vfat    rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000                                       wait,check,noemulatedsd,voldmanaged=sdcard:auto
/devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.0/mmc_host  /mnt/extsd          vfat    rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000                                       wait,check,voldmanaged=extsd:auto
/devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mmc_host  /mnt/extsd          vfat    rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000                                       wait,check,voldmanaged=extsd:auto
/devices/platform/sw-ehci.1             /mnt/usbhost1       vfat    rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000                                       wait,check,voldmanaged=usbhost1:auto
/devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0          /mnt/usbhost1       vfat    rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000                                       wait,check,voldmanaged=usbhost1:auto
/devices/platform/sw-ohci.1             /mnt/usbhost1       vfat    rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000                                       wait,check,voldmanaged=usbhost1:auto

BTW, despite the tablet's fstab entries, there is no /devices/platform directory but there is a /sys/devices/platform directory. Also note that sdcard0 and sdcard1 seem to point to the same place with the same files. I assume that my new partition should point to /storage/sdcard2

devices-platform.png

fx-storage.png
extsd.png

sdcard0.png
sdcard1.png

sdcard2.png
usbhost1.png

busybox-X.png

Last edited: