[Q] Captivate 2.2 Froyo to X-Bean

Search This thread

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
Re: [ROM][4.1.1][PORT] X-Bean **2.0** (fast, stable & superfunctional)

Been browsing for an update on AT&T Captivate SGH-I897 Froyo 2.2 and now on T-Moble
Unlocked, rooted with SOC and CWM recovery..

Read thru development on X-Bean **2.0**
Understood to get: x-bean 1.1Base.zip / gapps-jb20121011-signed.zip / BUT not sure which kernal!!
Early the thread states Devil 1.0.4vc but most recently suggests alternative of semaphore 2.0.3c.
Am I correct in thinking both work, just the semaphore is newer?
Thanks

Last edited:

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais

Been browsing for an update on AT&T Captivate SGH-I897 Froyo 2.2 and now on T-Moble

Understood to get: x-bean 1.1Base.zip / gapps-jb20121011-signed.zip / BUT not sure which kernal!!
Early the thread states Devil 1.0.4vc but most recently suggests alternative of semaphore 2.0.3c.
Thanks

They both work. Just make sure you get the right version.

Reactions: Tyannt

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
UPDATE... Again, thanks BWolf56!

AT&T Captivate on FROYO 2.2. OneClickRoot, CWM Recovery V2.5.1.2

Did ROM backup, TiBu backup, EFS, APN, Contacts etc

Installed/Flashed:
ROM X-Bean1.1 base.zip
gapps-jb-2012101-signed.zip
Semaphore_jb_2.0.3c.zip
landscape_fix.zip

Phone booted up fine initially, would always revert to landscape view, back button was now the home button.
Could not find any of my backups. "UI" kept crapping out; "Unfortunately UI is not responding" Think that's what it said!
Had to click OK and it was back until i touched anything and kept happening...

Did Advanced Restore -> CWM Recovery of: System, Data, Cache, ext/sd
Phone rebooted.... Stuck on AT&T logo screen, charging pinwheel shows but doesn't move.

Cannot get into recovery.. managed to get into "dowload mode"
tried i897UCJF6-final-OCD-REVO.zip loaded on computer, phone connected in download mode,
loaded PIT file only as the zip had no PAD file....... NO SUCCESS

If I proceeded in a NOOB fashion, it's because I am so I'll take my licks Lol
Any help would be appreciated!

Figured it best to just get back to stock 2.2, maybe even earlier since I wouldn't have the 3e recovery
problem not being able to install from OTHER sources. Then TRY again after brushing up!!!!!!!!

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
UPDATE... Again, thanks BWolf56!

AT&T Captivate on FROYO 2.2. OneClickRoot, CWM Recovery V2.5.1.2

Did ROM backup, TiBu backup, EFS, APN, Contacts etc

Installed/Flashed:
ROM X-Bean1.1 base.zip
gapps-jb-2012101-signed.zip
Semaphore_jb_2.0.3c.zip
landscape_fix.zip

Phone booted up fine initially, would always revert to landscape view, back button was now the home button.
Could not find any of my backups. "UI" kept crapping out; "Unfortunately UI is not responding" Think that's what it said!
Had to click OK and it was back until i touched anything and kept happening...

Did Advanced Restore -> CWM Recovery of: System, Data, Cache, ext/sd
Phone rebooted.... Stuck on AT&T logo screen, charging pinwheel shows but doesn't move.

Cannot get into recovery.. managed to get into "dowload mode"
tried i897UCJF6-final-OCD-REVO.zip loaded on computer, phone connected in download mode,
loaded PIT file only as the zip had no PAD file....... NO SUCCESS

If I proceeded in a NOOB fashion, it's because I am so I'll take my licks Lol
Any help would be appreciated!

Figured it best to just get back to stock 2.2, maybe even earlier since I wouldn't have the 3e recovery
problem not being able to install from OTHER sources. Then TRY again after brushing up!!!!!!!!

Did you flash a I9000 ROM? If so, you need the I9000 bootloaders.

Also to downgrade android version, you have to use Odin (i suggest kk4 without bootloaders if you already have the gb ones, which can be found in the stickies).

Make sure you follow the full instructions next time to avoid issues like that.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
Did you flash a I9000 ROM? If so, you need the I9000 bootloaders.

Also to downgrade android version, you have to use Odin (i suggest kk4 without bootloaders if you already have the gb ones, which can be found in the stickies).
Make sure you follow the full instructions next time to avoid issues like that.
---------------------------------------------

Ahhh, fello Canadian i see!

You may be correct thinking i have I9000 "JB"? bootloaders!, in the original
thread : Aceofspades replied to a member question stating: "Port means that this
rom is originally made for i9000 and made it to work for captivate."

Should I assume I've flashed an I9000 Rom? and now have JB bootloader?

Thinking back, I did not wipe before going back and using recovery! Not sure that was the problem
but it was on reboot after restoring CWM/system. data. cache etc that the phone rebooted and ended up
in a continual cycling of the ATT logo screen!

Big question now is how do I do to remedy my situation!!
NOTE...I have made a JIG and can get into "download Mode" now

From this point on I'll document my every move in order to be able to provide
the exact procedure I went through... might be more helpful !!

I know I know... NOOB! Lol

PS, is an alternative to use Kies Mini and update to Gingerbread?

Last edited:

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais

thread : Aceofspades replied to a member question stating: "Port means that this

Thinking back, I did not wipe before going back and using recovery! Not sure that was the problem
but it was on reboot after restoring CWM/system. data. cache etc that the phone rebooted and ended up

First thing: don't use kies at all!

There are no JB bootloaders for the cappy, just eclair, froyo and GB. If the ROM is a port, you'll most likely have to flash the I9000 gb bootloaders but I'd suggest finding another ROM to start with (like CM). Playing with bootloaders is the only thing that will make your phone a paper weight if something goes wrong.

Also, bootloaders aren't included in roms for safety measures. That being said, you can run ICS and JB roms just fine with the GB bootloaders.

As for what comes next. Perhaps use Odin to flash stock kk4 without bootloaders, from there flash corn kernel (once again with Odin) and give CM a whirl following their full flashing instructions. (Which can be found both in their thread and website)

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
Understood... NO KIES

Sorry but a little confused still...

Do I Odin flash KK4 w/o bootloaders first -> flash corn kernal with Odin -> then flash a CM ROM using their procedure?

Where in the sequence is "flash I9000 bootloaders?

* No luck finding Odin w/o bootloaders yet, outdated download sites. Will search through xda again.

Noted! "There are no JB bootloaders for the cappy, just eclair, froyo and GB." (I was originally ATT captivate on FROYO 2.2)

Noted! "bootloaders aren't included in roms for safety measures." "you can run ICS and JB roms just fine with the GB bootloaders."

As for what comes next. Perhaps use Odin to flash stock kk4 without bootloaders, from there flash corn kernel (once again with Odin) and give CM a whirl following their full flashing instructions. (Which can be found both in their thread and website)

I might be a little hazy on the order of your suggestions so thanks for the patience!
GREATLY APPRECIATING YOUR EFFORTS!!

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Understood... NO KIES

Do I Odin flash KK4 w/o bootloaders first -> flash corn kernal with Odin -> then flash a CM ROM using their procedure?

* No luck finding Odin w/o bootloaders yet, outdated download sites. Will search through xda again.

Noted! "There are no JB bootloaders for the cappy, just eclair, froyo and GB." (I was originally ATT captivate on FROYO 2.2)

Noted! "bootloaders aren't included in roms for safety measures." "you can run ICS and JB roms just fine with the GB bootloaders."

I might be a little hazy on the order of your suggestions so thanks for the patience!

For now, forget about the I9000 bootloaders.

Here's KK4: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18370912&postcount=3

During your flashing, did you ever flash the GB bootloaders? If not, get the version with bootloaders and make the the flashing isnt't interrupted.

And yeah, from there you got it right, corn kernel; and follow their full flashing instructions.

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013

During your flashing, did you ever flash the GB bootloaders? If not, get the version with bootloaders and make the the flashing isnt't interrupted.

And yeah, from there you got it right, corn kernel; and follow their full flashing instructions.

--------------------------------------------------
* I haven't knowingly flashed GB bootloaders.
* I've been all over the link you provided... no working downloads.

Hmmm, I did try "Odin" a couple of times to get the GingerBread update...After doing that my phone now
boots to the AT&T logo, goes black for a sec and a screen like a bad tv signal comes up! Also, the phone
is now charging and showing the big battery icon! I seem to recall reading somewhere that if that happens
it may be wrong bootloaders? Can't remember exactly what it said but am I correct thinking it was one of
your own replies to another member?
Anyway, done for the night Grrrr

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Here is a post with a pic about the screen u r seeing. Pixelated screen means u don't have the GB bootloaders... http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33227557&postcount=2

And i am currently in the process of uploading my Odin and Heimdall Stock KK4 One Clicks. Gonna be using MediaFire. Will post when all uploads are done and new links attached to my post #3 in the Stock Rom stickied thread in the Development forum...
Fixin to crash for the nite. But will get it done asap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tyannt and BWolf56

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
Here is a post with a pic about the screen u r seeing. Pixelated screen means u don't have the GB bootloaders... http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33227557&postcount=2

And i am currently in the process of uploading my Odin and Heimdall Stock KK4 One Clicks. Gonna be using MediaFire. Will post when all uploads are done and new links attached to my post #3 in the Stock Rom stickied thread in the Development forum...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appreciate you taking the time to reply! The images you displayed are exactly what I am seeing..

Links aren't good forever, i realize that just hard to believe I hadn't found them ANYWHERE yet! Lol

PS ************
* Have since got GB Bootloaders and added thru Odin3 v1.70.. PDA.tar.md5

* Now able to get into recovery mode by 3-button, shows 3e recovery, have ability to install from sdcard,
wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition.

* I have an "update.zip" on there but can't remember what it's for so I didn't do it...
but still no UI coming up, just the AT&T logo which cycles ON/OFF

Am I still in the same boat... needing KK4 Odin flash, after doing that will i be able to copy
a KK4 ROM zip to my phone thru PC and flash from the phone?

Last edited:

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appreciate you taking the time to reply! The images you displayed are exactly what I am seeing..

Links aren't good forever, i realize that just hard to believe I hadn't found them ANYWHERE yet! Lol

PS ************
* Have since got GB Bootloaders and added thru Odin3 v1.70.. PDA.tar.md5

* Now able to get into recovery mode by 3-button, shows 3e recovery, have ability to install from sdcard,
wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition.

* I have an "update.zip" on there but can't remember what it's for so I didn't do it...
but still no UI coming up, just the AT&T logo which cycles ON/OFF

Am I still in the same boat... needing KK4 Odin flash, after doing that will i be able to copy
a KK4 ROM zip to my phone thru PC and flash from the phone?

KK4 is a one click Odin.

From there, you'll have to use Odin 1.85 or 1.87 to flash Corn kernel to be able to flash your way up to CM.

Reactions: Tyannt

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
KK4 is a one click Odin.

From there, you'll have to use Odin 1.85 or 1.87 to flash Corn kernel to be able to flash your way up to CM.

Hey there!

* 4-2ndtwin chimed in and said he would post when he uploaded them.
Been looking in the meantime.

* I have both Odin versions, now understand that I can use Odin to flash any file I choose, such as the Corn kernal, not just files it may come with.

* I downloaded a "Stocki897uckk4-zImage.tar, unzipping shows "zImage" file but I
haven't touched it.

Just hanging in for a working link for the Odin KK4 One-Click I guess...

Question!!!
For clarification..Odin KK4 One-Click is just bootloaders, kernal and maybe modem, right? It's not going to give me a working ROM...OR, is it ALSO an alternative way to flash a ROM when I can't add a ROM zip to my phone thru my PC to flash?

Lol... I'll get a handle on this, more of a visual type :)
As usual, appreciate the help!

Last edited:

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
Last edited:

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
----------------------------------------------------------

HUGE THANKS! , downloading now... Will update
Got my fingers crossed :)

##### UPDATE #####
Used: I897uckk4 Odin One Click-Stock,NO Bootloaders, Re-partition, Full Wipe.zip

UCCK4 v2.3.5 loaded, running and stable, not rooted.

Time for a break!

Thanks again guys!

From here, it should be a breeze. Just remember to follow the full flashing instructions ;) :good:

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Still browsing ROMS...

Should I be bothered rooting yet? Not sure if I'll just have to do it again after a ROM switch?

Any suggestions for a root utility?

I suggest you start with CM.

As for rooting, you can get it directly on the store now (was recently made legal). I believe it's by chainfire. But do you need it atm?

Also, all custom roms come pre-rooted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Stock KK4 Links up.

...Aaannnd we're back !!! :D

Links up and going !!!

Stock I897UCKK4 Android 2.3.5 One Clicks *Heimdall and Odin*

Thanks

They both work. Just make sure you get the right version.

First thing: don't use kies at all!

There are no JB bootloaders for the cappy, just eclair, froyo and GB. If the ROM is a port, you'll most likely have to flash the I9000 gb bootloaders but I'd suggest finding another ROM to start with (like CM). Playing with bootloaders is the only thing that will make your phone a paper weight if something goes wrong.

Also, bootloaders aren't included in roms for safety measures. That being said, you can run ICS and JB roms just fine with the GB bootloaders.

Understood... NO KIES