[Q] Downgraded to 2.1, Rooted successfully, now low space problem,Can't update new v.

Search This thread

drmg

Apr 27, 2012
Hi,

Sorry I am a new to android and to this forum also. I have some questions which I need your expert opinion.
I have downgraded using [HOWTO] Downgrade Froyo (2.2) to Stock 2.1 (ANY HBOOT | WIN/LINUX/MAC | ROOT) and rooted successfully with Unrevoked because other method did not work.

I have installed some programs, to my surprise it has occupied all the space and application can't be transferred to SD. Later, I found App2SD is not working with this version 2.1.

Update phone popped out & I tried to download and install but in vain. It shows some triangular shape with exclamation mark inside that triangle.

What is the solution now ? can I transfer my app2SD like before with 2.2.2 version ? How to unroot now & update from the server and revert back to the same because I found downgrade is outdated ?
Did I make mistake choosing downgrade method? What are the choices do I have to work like before ?
Thank you in advance.

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
oh god what on earth have you been doing.

If you have another android phone then make a goldcard and stick it into the broken desire.

boot into fastboot mode (hold back & power), plug in via usb, download and install the latest WWE RUU (can find on my guide).

If you can't make a goldcard, look for the RUU for your network provider (e.g. vodafone, tmobile etc.) and use that. Make sure it's a 2.2 Froyo RUU and its not just the OTA update!!

if that's too hard for you, go on my guide and download the 2.3 RUU and use that.

Once the phone's been updated go to revolutionary.io and use the tool. It works every time.

Then flash recovery, look at my guide on how to do so.

Then backup your current ROM and flash away with anything you want. Just make sure to do a full wipe between flashes (boot, system, data, cache, dalvik)

Reactions: drmg

drmg

Apr 27, 2012
Dear bortak,

Thank you for the reply.

I do not have another android so it looks that I won't be able to make a goldcard. Among other options you gave me ?RUU I will look at your guide how to make. Hope that 2.3 will works.
Is gold card necessary ? Can I make it after 2.3 installation ?
Will do accordingly as per you advice.

How to back up current ROM and flash anything ???
Sorry I am totally new to this androind. Has been using like a layman.

Thank you much appreciated.

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
unless your phone was bought unbranded, it will have a Customer ID that links it to a particular network. If you try to use a RUU (ROM Update Utility) that was not released for your phone, you will receive a CID Error. A goldcard makes the phone ignore the CID, and therefore you can use any RUU you want, so you don't have to worry about getting the right one.

So, if you got your phone with Vodafone like I did, you need to download a Vodafone RUU.

The 2.3 RUU is the 2.3 Gingerbread released by HTC, and it was not given as an OTA (Over The Air) update. The 2.3 RUU de-brands your phone, and it doesn't matter where you got the phone from, you can use that one regardless.

It is recommended that you use the RUU for your network provider, as if that goes wrong, you can try it again, or use the 2.3 RUU.
If you use the 2.3 RUU and something goes wrong, you have nothing to fall back on, because you cannot simply roll-back software versions using RUU's, you can only update.

So, if I were you, I'd go to shipped-roms.com and try to find the right RUU for you. If you bought the phone unbranded (i.e. you din't get it from a network) you can just use the latest WWE RUU. If you got it on contract or PAYG from a network e.g. Vodafone, then you need to download the Vodafone RUU. (Make sure it's the 2.2 Froyo one, and it doesn't say "OTA", because that's just an update, not the full RUU).

drmg

Apr 27, 2012
It is not branded (no network). What ever is best I try to do. Which one is the l latest WWE RUU ?
Do I need to follow this full:
S-OFF
[STEP1]- download "Bravo Stock" from Alpharev
[STEP2]- download Android Flasher
[STEP3]- use android flasher to flash "Bravo Stock"
[STEP4]- run the RUU again and wait for it to finish

Thanks.

Last edited:

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
It is not branded (no network). What ever is best I try to do. Which one is the l latest WWE RUU ?
Do I need to follow this full:
S-OFF
[STEP1]- download "Bravo Stock" from Alpharev
[STEP2]- download Android Flasher
[STEP3]- use android flasher to flash "Bravo Stock"
[STEP4]- run the RUU again and wait for it to finish

Thanks.

Nono, you only need to use that guide when something goes wrong.

Find the WWE RUU in #resources, boot into fastboot, plug it in and run the RUU. Then you can look on S-OFF problems.

drmg

Apr 27, 2012
Thanks & Need to explore android more

Dear bortak,

Thanks for your guidance.
While exploring the abilities of android, I was lost. Without you it would not have possible.

I have installed 2.3.3 accordingly. It has upgraded perfectly.

I had problem with rooting
I did according to revolutionary. io It worked with ease, S-Offed but not rooted.

In my desperation I have tried Unrevoked. It also did not work. It says "Your firmware is too new" . Did all the methods from changing version of Unrevoked and uninstalling one program. Still did not work. No ROOT

Finally, I found that I have not done complete task. I re-tried revolutionary. io and browse through different resources about it. Revolutionary was explained in a simple & efficient way in theunlockrdotcom. I followed that those steps & finally root was successfully. :)

It would not have possible without your support.

Now, I have done rooting. What wanted to see other aspects ? What can be done now to make the android works without restrain ? Flashing ?? ROM ?
Now, do I have to make a goldcard ?

Please advice me what are the other things I can do to work with android above the usual layman. Thanks.

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
Dear bortak,

Thanks for your guidance.
While exploring the abilities of android, I was lost. Without you it would not have possible.

I have installed 2.3.3 accordingly. It has upgraded perfectly.

I had problem with rooting
I did according to revolutionary. io It worked with ease, S-Offed but not rooted.

In my desperation I have tried Unrevoked. It also did not work. It says "Your firmware is too new" . Did all the methods from changing version of Unrevoked and uninstalling one program. Still did not work. No ROOT

Finally, I found that I have not done complete task. I re-tried revolutionary. io and browse through different resources about it. Revolutionary was explained in a simple & efficient way in theunlockrdotcom. I followed that those steps & finally root was successfully. :)

It would not have possible without your support.

Now, I have done rooting. What wanted to see other aspects ? What can be done now to make the android works without restrain ? Flashing ?? ROM ?
Now, do I have to make a goldcard ?

Please advice me what are the other things I can do to work with android above the usual layman. Thanks.

Since you already upgraded to the 2.3 RUU, the 2.2 RUU's go out of the window, so you don't need a goldcard.

Flashing is basically the process of replacing the entire Android OS for a different version.

Key subgroups are:
Sense 2.0/2.1
Sense 3.0/3.5
Stock AOSP Gingerbread
Customised AOSP Gingerbread
MIUI AOSP Gingerbread
AOSP ICS (UNSTABLE)

AOSP: Android Open Source Project

If you have not already done so, you need to flash a recovery image to your device. You can either do this by installing the 4EXT recovery control from the Play Store, or you can look at my guide for guidance on how to do so manually.

Remember to backup before flashing anything.

Some ROMs take advantage of custom bootloaders. Custom bootloaders basically change the partition sizes of the nand memory of your device (its internal memory). It changes the /system /data and /cache partitions, and because many ROMs only require smaller /system partitions, more memory can be freed up in /data. Go to alpharev.nl for more information, there is a guide on how to flash bootloaders on my guide also, and read on the thread what hboot the ROM needs.

Before you flash, it is good to do a full wipe (boot, system, data, cache, dalvik) as this helps to prevent any errors from occurring.

drmg

Apr 27, 2012
Great !

You have a great tutorial & help attitude. I didn't know anything about the android after using Desire for more than 1 years. I feel good & content that I have achieved something with the help of your tutorials & feedback.

With the help of your guide I was able to flash the rom. It is called cyanogen 7.1.
I flashed this stable version and worried that the latest won't work on my android.

It's very good but I am have big time problem since it has no market and not able to download anything since market can't be downloaded.

I had backup my original ROM . Now if I want to flash another ROM than do I need to do the same process with wipe out data ?
Do I need to backup this cyanogen also ?? What if I want to use my original ROM, in that case how to recover/restore my original ROM ? What are the others good ROM you suggest to flash ? I have no choices, nor I can choose. Cyanogen is good but that problem with market.
Lastly the root is there, will it remain if I flash another ROM?
Thank you for your wonderful guidance, feedback & tutorial. God bless.

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
Great !

You have a great tutorial & help attitude. I didn't know anything about the android after using Desire for more than 1 years. I feel good & content that I have achieved something with the help of your tutorials & feedback.

With the help of your guide I was able to flash the rom. It is called cyanogen 7.1.
I flashed this stable version and worried that the latest won't work on my android.

It's very good but I am have big time problem since it has no market and not able to download anything since market can't be downloaded.

I had backup my original ROM . Now if I want to flash another ROM than do I need to do the same process with wipe out data ?
Do I need to backup this cyanogen also ?? What if I want to use my original ROM, in that case how to recover/restore my original ROM ? What are the others good ROM you suggest to flash ? I have no choices, nor I can choose. Cyanogen is good but that problem with market.

No, you don't need to backup when you're restoring your old ROM, however do a wipe whenever moving to another ROM (with backup or new flash).

The reason you don't have market and other google apps is because cyanogen is so big, google has disallowed them to include google apps with their ROMs, and they need to be flashed seperately, like I mentioned in the previous post.

Click the gapps link (from the previous post) and flash it the same way you did Cyanogen

drmg

Apr 27, 2012
Thanks.
You mean I need to flash google market as well like a cyanogen or I can install it or with the android flasher?

BTW, what is gapps link ? Thanks..

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
Thanks.
You mean I need to flash google market as well like a cyanogen or I can install it or with the android flasher?

oh my bad I got confused with another post, link wasn't there.

gapps - Google Apps - Play store, gmail, setup wizard etc. etc.

You flash the gapps.zip like cyanogenmod - through recovery. This is only needed with Cyanogenmod, all* other ROMs have them.

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

*well most do at least, those that don't tell you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    oh god what on earth have you been doing.

If you have another android phone then make a goldcard and stick it into the broken desire.

boot into fastboot mode (hold back & power), plug in via usb, download and install the latest WWE RUU (can find on my guide).

If you can't make a goldcard, look for the RUU for your network provider (e.g. vodafone, tmobile etc.) and use that. Make sure it's a 2.2 Froyo RUU and its not just the OTA update!!

if that's too hard for you, go on my guide and download the 2.3 RUU and use that.

Once the phone's been updated go to revolutionary.io and use the tool. It works every time.

Then flash recovery, look at my guide on how to do so.

Then backup your current ROM and flash away with anything you want. Just make sure to do a full wipe between flashes (boot, system, data, cache, dalvik)
    Looks complicated though I will try. Thank you very much.

It's really not.. you can find tutorials for all of this on my guide, some even with videos.
    Great !

No, you don't need to backup when you're restoring your old ROM, however do a wipe whenever moving to another ROM (with backup or new flash).

The reason you don't have market and other google apps is because cyanogen is so big, google has disallowed them to include google apps with their ROMs, and they need to be flashed seperately, like I mentioned in the previous post.

Click the gapps link (from the previous post) and flash it the same way you did Cyanogen
    Thanks.

oh my bad I got confused with another post, link wasn't there.

gapps - Google Apps - Play store, gmail, setup wizard etc. etc.

You flash the gapps.zip like cyanogenmod - through recovery. This is only needed with Cyanogenmod, all* other ROMs have them.

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

*well most do at least, those that don't tell you.