[GUIDE][I9500][Help Thread] Updating, Resolving soft bricks, root issues and stuff.

Search This thread

Degrated Shadow

Feb 26, 2012
THE INTERNET
This is the guide for updating to 4.3 from stock unrooted state or while having a custom rom on it.
Many people have suffered bootlops or worse issues when trying to update to 4.2.2. Alright. Thisthread will also be used for helping people who hace bricked their devices and i will actively help whenever i can.

This process is quite tedious for unpatient people so stay away from the thread if you cant follow all the steps.

Pre-requisites:
Galaxy S4 I9500 (exynos/octa)
odin version 3.09 (attached to 2nd post)
A stock 4.3 firmware package (take it from firmware thread)
cwm 6.0.4.4 by S.a.M.e.R_d (for root users) link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2489234
adonis.pit (8.94 gb) (attached to 2nd post)
cf autoroot(for root users) link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292615
Degrated Shadow's KNOX Remover.zip script (attached to the post
some patience and brain (no links for these .. lol.. cant attach either:p)

Scenario 1: You aren't rooted and have all the status's official and old bootloader on 4.2.2

Best way for you is to connect to the kies and download and update and install it through kies.
Do not download otas.
For some people it gives bootlopping error and for some it just works alright. It bootlop'ed for my brother but not for my friend who were on same stock firmwares and all.
if it is bootlopping now
1. Go to recovery (when phone is switched off press power butoon+volume up+home button)
2. Wipe Data/Factory Reset (this will wipe your data and its necessary because now you cant downgrade without triggering you warranty bit)

Scenario 2: You are on prerooted stock firmware.

Download the 4.3 firmware package(with 4 files)
Set the drivers up on windows
1. Open Odin v3.09
2. Put appropriate files in AP BL CP CSC
AP=previously PDA
BL=bootloader
CP=Modem
CSC=file starting with CSC
3. Download the adonis it and put it in pit.
4. Connect device in download mode (when phone is switched off press and hold power button+volume down+home button)

Voila you are done.

Scenario 3: You are rooted and are on custom roms or a custom pit (adonis_c.pit comes with 11.82 gb storage which is incompatible with 4.3 firmwares.

1. Flash pit seperately without the firmware package in odin v3.09
2. Perform a battery pull then put the battery back
3. Go into download mode (when phone is switched off press and hold power button+volume down+home button).
4. Flash the 4 package file
AP=previously PDA
BL=bootloader
CP=Modem
5. Flash cf autoroot by chainfire by putting it in AP
let it root and install stock recovery
6. Go back to download mode and install GT-I9500-CWM-6.0.4.4.tar Build #1 as AP
Step 7 and following are to be followed for using custom roms although they arent available at the time this is posted. wanam has relesed 3.0 but is a test rom
7. Boot back into recovery and go to mounts and storage
Format everything except the ext sd card
8. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik Cache(in advanced menu in cwm)
this whole step might seem unnecessary but always be at the safer side
9. Install the custom rom and boot back into android
10. Flash the KNOX remover script by me
11. YOU are good to go
Voila you are done

NOW FOR ROOT USERS

after setting up all accounts and stuff
1. Go to play store.
2. Update supersu.
3. Open supersu and install the binaries.
4. Flash the KNOX remover script by me OR Install Titanium Backup link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&hl=en
5. Freeze or delete all knox crap. ( I prefer deleting).
6. Reboot.

Now you are set and ready to install all the apps and root is working.

Scenario 4: you are on 4.3. want to flash a custom rom. and dont care about warranty.
1. Flash CF autoroot by chainfire/ Flash latest perseus kernel
2. Then power off. go to download mode (power button+Home button+volume down)(
3. Flash cwm 6.0.4.4
4. Flash any custom rom you want now from recovery. but remember to format system atleast once before that.

Credits: @Chainfire ( for cf autoroot)
@S.a.M.e.R_d (for cwm 6.0.4.4
@wanam (for explaining that the security policy is hardcoded into the kernel)
@nickboy360 (He will also help people in my absence because of boards)
@runedrune (for solving my doubts in day to day life)
Samsung (for knox crap, painful security policy, irritating enforcing mode of selinux, and the smoothest ever touchwiz ROM)

Last edited:

Degrated Shadow

Feb 26, 2012
THE INTERNET
  1. Alright. SO this thread will be used for hel;ping people who have soft bricked their devices or similar issues like not getting root or sound problems
  2. My friend @nickboy360 is going to help you all in my absence although he will buzz me when there is a confusing case.
  3. This place wont stand for spammes and they will be reported.
  4. Peace

all the attachments are here

Attachments

• I9500_pit_file.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 8,469
  • Odin3_v3.09.zip
    972.4 KB · Views: 3,262
Last edited:

Samer Diab

Sep 4, 2012
Beyrouth
Dude you seriously made my ****ing day !!!! I LOVE YOU !!!!!! I have been cracking my head since i tried to boot rom !!!!!! YIPPI A kingCobra 4.3 is soon to be realesed . AGAIN I LOVE YOU . Rated 5 stars and shared

Reactions: Degrated Shadow

deadball80

May 9, 2011
i have problem with my s4
after i flash pit and stock room, then i flash cfroot, them 6.044, after all of them i install wanam3 from cwm, reboot, after "SAMSUNG S4 i9500" text then blank.. all black... may u help me?

Degrated Shadow

Feb 26, 2012
THE INTERNET
i have problem with my s4
after i flash pit and stock room, then i flash cfroot, them 6.044, after all of them i install wanam3 from cwm, reboot, after "SAMSUNG S4 i9500" text then blank.. all black... may u help me?

format all the things in mounts and storage in recovery except the ext sd card and install wanam 3.0 again.
you will be good. And follow the zteps carefully

mattdt

Jun 26, 2013
Cape Town
hi, is there a "standard" 4.3 firmware I can use as my country hasn't released 4.3 yet? XFE (South Africa) is currently only on 4.2.2.

atsavlis

Aug 4, 2009
Athens
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Guys I have installed the Russian official coming from arrows rom. Everything went well and I'm running 4.3 successfully. I now want to install wanams 4.3 but I'm not sure what the adonis.pit file is for? I have the I9500 32gb... do I just copy wanam to my sd and flash through recovery?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

Degrated Shadow

Feb 26, 2012
THE INTERNET
Guys I have installed the Russian official coming from arrows rom. Everything went well and I'm running 4.3 successfully. I now want to install wanams 4.3 but I'm not sure what the adonis.pit file is for? I have the I9500 32gb... do I just copy wanam to my sd and flash through recovery?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

root with cf root
flash cwm 6.0.4.4 in AP
go to recovery
format everything under mounts and storage menu ecpet ext sd card
flash wanam 3.0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the guide for updating to 4.3 from stock unrooted state or while having a custom rom on it.
    Many people have suffered bootlops or worse issues when trying to update to 4.2.2. Alright. Thisthread will also be used for helping people who hace bricked their devices and i will actively help whenever i can.

This process is quite tedious for unpatient people so stay away from the thread if you cant follow all the steps.

Pre-requisites:
    Galaxy S4 I9500 (exynos/octa)
    odin version 3.09 (attached to 2nd post)
    A stock 4.3 firmware package (take it from firmware thread)
    cwm 6.0.4.4 by S.a.M.e.R_d (for root users) link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2489234
    adonis.pit (8.94 gb) (attached to 2nd post)
    cf autoroot(for root users) link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292615
    Degrated Shadow's KNOX Remover.zip script (attached to the post
    some patience and brain (no links for these .. lol.. cant attach either:p)

Scenario 1: You aren't rooted and have all the status's official and old bootloader on 4.2.2

Best way for you is to connect to the kies and download and update and install it through kies.
    Do not download otas.
    For some people it gives bootlopping error and for some it just works alright. It bootlop'ed for my brother but not for my friend who were on same stock firmwares and all.
    if it is bootlopping now
    1. Go to recovery (when phone is switched off press power butoon+volume up+home button)
    2. Wipe Data/Factory Reset (this will wipe your data and its necessary because now you cant downgrade without triggering you warranty bit)

Scenario 2: You are on prerooted stock firmware.

Download the 4.3 firmware package(with 4 files)
    Set the drivers up on windows
    1. Open Odin v3.09
    2. Put appropriate files in AP BL CP CSC
    AP=previously PDA
    BL=bootloader
    CP=Modem
    3. Download the adonis it and put it in pit.
    4. Connect device in download mode (when phone is switched off press and hold power button+volume down+home button)

Voila you are done.

Scenario 3: You are rooted and are on custom roms or a custom pit (adonis_c.pit comes with 11.82 gb storage which is incompatible with 4.3 firmwares.

1. Flash pit seperately without the firmware package in odin v3.09
    2. Perform a battery pull then put the battery back
    3. Go into download mode (when phone is switched off press and hold power button+volume down+home button).
    4. Flash the 4 package file
    AP=previously PDA
    BL=bootloader
    CP=Modem
    5. Flash cf autoroot by chainfire by putting it in AP
    let it root and install stock recovery
    6. Go back to download mode and install GT-I9500-CWM-6.0.4.4.tar Build #1 as AP
    Step 7 and following are to be followed for using custom roms although they arent available at the time this is posted. wanam has relesed 3.0 but is a test rom
    7. Boot back into recovery and go to mounts and storage
    Format everything except the ext sd card
    8. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik Cache(in advanced menu in cwm)
    this whole step might seem unnecessary but always be at the safer side
    9. Install the custom rom and boot back into android
    10. Flash the KNOX remover script by me
    11. YOU are good to go
    Voila you are done

NOW FOR ROOT USERS

after setting up all accounts and stuff
    1. Go to play store.
    2. Update supersu.
    3. Open supersu and install the binaries.
    4. Flash the KNOX remover script by me OR Install Titanium Backup link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&hl=en
    5. Freeze or delete all knox crap. ( I prefer deleting).
    6. Reboot.

Now you are set and ready to install all the apps and root is working.

Scenario 4: you are on 4.3. want to flash a custom rom. and dont care about warranty.
    1. Flash CF autoroot by chainfire/ Flash latest perseus kernel
    2. Then power off. go to download mode (power button+Home button+volume down)(
    3. Flash cwm 6.0.4.4
    4. Flash any custom rom you want now from recovery. but remember to format system atleast once before that.

Credits: @Chainfire ( for cf autoroot)
    @S.a.M.e.R_d (for cwm 6.0.4.4
    @wanam (for explaining that the security policy is hardcoded into the kernel)
    @nickboy360 (He will also help people in my absence because of boards)
    @runedrune (for solving my doubts in day to day life)
    Samsung (for knox crap, painful security policy, irritating enforcing mode of selinux, and the smoothest ever touchwiz ROM)
    1. Alright. SO this thread will be used for hel;ping people who have soft bricked their devices or similar issues like not getting root or sound problems
    2. My friend @nickboy360 is going to help you all in my absence although he will buzz me when there is a confusing case.
    3. This place wont stand for spammes and they will be reported.
    4. Peace

all the attachments are here
    done! great!!!!!!!! awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! thx Degrated Shadow

welcome however you are free to hit thanks whenever you like
    Hello DShadow, I hope you remember my strange case of the missing MBs :p
    Flashed Perseus and having some colossal battery drain. You think kernel related or old bootloader related?

Its related to rom.. its about timaservice wakelock. U have to
    disable it in build.prop
    ro.config.tima=1
    replace the "1" with "0" and save it.
    Then reboot.
    Done

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk