[HOW TO] - Enable CRT animation in Jelly Bean on the N7

Search This thread

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida
Noticed none of the current builds have the CRT animation enabled, thought I'd share how to turn it on. Please note that it is at times a bit buggy. For me it works about 8 out of 10 times.

What it is:

Note: 1 - This will work on any device and on any version of Android back to GB. (Obviously the Nexus specific tools wont work on anything other than the Nexus)

Note 2 - You will have to redo this every time you update your rom.

Here's the quick rundown -

First, you'll have to pull the framework-res.apk from your tablet.

This can be done via adb, but the easiest way would be to either use WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit or mskips Google Nexus 7 TOOLKIT.

When asked what file to pull, type in "/system/framework/framework-res.apk" (without quotes)

Once you have that pulled, install this tool: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1432152

Follow the directions on how to use it in the thread.

Once you have decompiled the apk, you'll want to edit the "files-to-edit\framework-res.apk\res\values\bools.xml" file.

The value you want to change in the bools value is the "<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">true</bool>" change "true" to "false". I reccommend downloading Notepad++ to edit.

Make sure you save it. Once saved, recompile the apk using the tool you install, then create an update zip (I renamed mine to crtanimation.zip for ease).

Reboot into recovery, flash the zip, clear cache, reboot.

Tada!

Last edited:

TahrirSquare

Jan 22, 2012
Noticed none of the current builds have the CRT animation enabled, thought I'd share how to turn it on. Please note that it is at times a bit buggy. For me it works about 8 out of 10 times.

This can be done via adb, but the easiest way would be to either use WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit or mskips Google Nexus 7 TOOLKIT.

When asked what file to pull, type in "/system/framework/framework-res.apk" (without quotes)

Once you have that pulled, install this tool: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1432152

Once you have decompiled the apk, you'll want to edit the "files-to-edit\framework-res.apk\res\valuesbools.xml" file.

The value you want to change in the bools value is the "<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">true</bool>" change "true" to "false".

Make sure you save it. Once saved, recompile the apk using the tool you install, then create an update zip (I renamed mine to crtanimation.zip for ease).

Reboot into recovery, flash the zip, reboot.

Tada!

"Once you have that pulled, install this tool: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1432152"
This link is not working.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
They most likely don't know what CRT animation is, NOT why they might want to make changes to the system.

Nothing in the OP provides a hint as to what that is or what it does. To be honest, I'm not sure I know what it is. A quick search shows that it is enabled in a lot of ROMs but not what it actually is or does.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida
They most likely don't know what CRT animation is, NOT why they might want to make changes to the system.

Nothing in the OP provides a hint as to what that is or what it does. To be honest, I'm not sure I know what it is. A quick search shows that it is enabled in a lot of ROMs but not what it actually is or does.

Sent from my Nexus 7
OK, makes sense, I was assuming most knew what it meant.

I'll make a quick video.

Just made a video, uploading it.

Last edited:

NotablyNice

Jun 26, 2012

Sent from my Nexus 7

If you don't know what it is then you obviously haven't flashed many roms and therefore should probably not even attempt this...

Thanks OP and sry for the ungrateful ones here.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
Okay... I get it... It enables animation effects when turning the device off, rather than just blanking the screen.

I get the same effect turning on and off with
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.soulfulz.android.turnoffscreen

You can select from a number of effects, sounds for both when the device is turned on and off via the button. You have to hit the button for it to do it, but for the risk of modifying system files, this is easy and safe to do.

NotablyNice

Jun 26, 2012
Okay... I get it... It enables animation effects when turning the device off, rather than just blanking the screen.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.soulfulz.android.turnoffscreen

You can select from a number of effects, sounds for both when the device is turned on and off via the button. You have to hit the button for it to do it, but for the risk of modifying system files, this is easy and safe to do.

Except your solution is wakelock city on top of having to enable it as a device administrator. Sounds like you also have to hit the shortcut or use the app itself to get the desired effect versus it being naturally accomplished when hitting the power button/screen timeout. And if it doesn't work in ICS, not sure it will work on JB.

Last edited:

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida

My way is easy and safe to do, if you follow the direction.

All your doing is turning something on. It's something that Google intended to be toggled.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
My way is easy and safe to do, if you follow the direction.
Something users of XDA are so good at doing? Reading and following instructions.
All your doing is turning something on. It's something that Google intended to be toggled.
Curious, they didn't implement it in their flagship first tablet and first official device to have Jelly Bean?

BTW, I am not knocking you, just have a lot of experience dealing with users that don't read, can't follow instructions...

The info on extracting and the tool was good reading, I just know a lot of users that will botch this up and start posting BRICKED threads.

Via my HTC Rezound

Reactions: NabhanKhan100

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida
Something users of XDA are so good at doing? Reading and following instructions.

Curious, they didn't implement it in their flagship first tablet and first official device to have Jelly Bean?

BTW, I am not knocking you, just have a lot of experience dealing with users that don't read, can't follow instructions...

The info on extracting and the tool was good reading, I just know a lot of users that will botch this up and start posting BRICKED threads.

Via my HTC Rezound
I'm sorry if people are unable to follow direction, but honestly that's not my problem.

If they mess it up, it wont brick, and if it does, all they have to do is dirty flash their rom and it's fixed.

Guardsix

Aug 17, 2010
San Antonio
I asked the question "Why" because it seems a lot of trouble just to see your device (N7, in this case) turn off. I've done a great deal of modding to my ICS devices, but haven't really found much reason to mod a JB device. I know there are tons of boot animations which make your device really different when turned on, but having CRT just for turning off your device seems a waste of time.

Of course, this is only my opinion and I'm glad you figured out how to do this, but I still don't understand why!

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida
I asked the question "Why" because it seems a lot of trouble just to see your device (N7, in this case) turn off. I've done a great deal of modding to my ICS devices, but haven't really found much reason to mod a JB device. I know there are tons of boot animations which make your device really different when turned on, but having CRT just for turning off your device seems a waste of time.

Of course, this is only my opinion and I'm glad you figured out how to do this, but I still don't understand why!

Why not?

To sound cliche, Android is all about options.

I present you with yet another modding option.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
Neat! I am sure that I will get around to this eventually but I am surprised that I haven't noticed that there was no CRT animation enabled already.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Krunk_Kracker

NotablyNice

Jun 26, 2012

Don't understand why you don't just switch to an iphone

Reactions: rtx101

glt5000

Apr 3, 2010
Ok I tried what the OP has posted but the compiler tool is borked, no way to recompile the file after editing the file. Read over the original posting and found that the issue is still not fixed, any other way to do this??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What it is:

Note: 1 - This will work on any device and on any version of Android back to GB. (Obviously the Nexus specific tools wont work on anything other than the Nexus)

Note 2 - You will have to redo this every time you update your rom.

Once you have that pulled, install this tool: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1432152

Once you have decompiled the apk, you'll want to edit the "files-to-edit\framework-res.apk\res\values\bools.xml" file.

The value you want to change in the bools value is the "<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">true</bool>" change "true" to "false". I reccommend downloading Notepad++ to edit.

Reboot into recovery, flash the zip, clear cache, reboot.

Tada!
    I'm not really understanding the animosity with this simple mod...

Why not?

To sound cliche, Android is all about options.

I present you with yet another modding option.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    ECHO OFF ERROR FIX :
    Go to advanced computer settings in properties of windows.
    Search for Environment Variables
    Edit the PATH one and add, ADD NOT DELETE, DO NOT DELETE, just ADD with the ;
    ";C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\" at the end of the list
    change jre6 to jre7 if you're using java 7 (check the folder and path ofc)

Now the compiler should work and not give ECHO off.

Sent from my Nexus 7

If you don't know what it is then you obviously haven't flashed many roms and therefore should probably not even attempt this...

Thanks OP and sry for the ungrateful ones here.