[HOW TO] - Enable CRT animation in Jelly Bean on the N7

Search This thread

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida
I can for sure upload a zip for PA 2.14.

I wish I had an answer for those of you having issues with this.

Those of you having issues, try running the programs as an administrator.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: RockNrolling

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Got it made for team eos... but it will only do it like 1/5 times... :( that sucks. Does it work properly for PA?

Sent From My N7 via White Tapatalk

RockNrolling

Aug 6, 2012
Got it made for team eos... but it will only do it like 1/5 times... :( that sucks. Does it work properly for PA?

I flashed it on PA. But so far it's only worked once all evening. :( I cleared the cache but it didn't seem to help. I've tried re-flashing it too. Sorry man.

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 7

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
I flashed it on PA. But so far it's only worked once all evening. :( I cleared the cache but it didn't seem to help. I've tried re-flashing it too. Sorry man.

Well weird... did exactly what the guide said change the line of code from true to false.

RockNrolling

Aug 6, 2012
Well weird... did exactly what the guide said change the line of code from true to false.

Yeah it is weird. I'm still stuck on the recompile apk step from his guide. I tried running the tool in administrator mode like Krunk_Kracker said but I still get the 'Echo is off' error.

I doubt this is worth spending a lot of time on. It's a cool effect to have, but I hate to bother you guys like this for such a small tweak.
Thanks again for taking the time to put together the zip for me!

mattpedigo

Dec 7, 2010
Charlotte
www.wanderingbear.org
Not working

I think I stumbled upon a potential solution for some of the compiling issues people were having (at least it seems to have worked for me in a very minor way). The aapt.exe and apktools.jar files in the resources directory of the Framework Flasher tool seem to be the cause of the issues. I updated them by downloading iBotPeaches' newer versions at http://connortumbleson.com/apktool-v1-4-5-a-tool-for-reverse-engineering-apk-files/

After replacing the old ones with the newer ones, it compiled for me. I then created my zip to flash. No dice. It booted up fine, said it was updating the apps, then dropped to the X screen and stuck there.

I pulled up a Nandroid and rebooted. I decided to start from scratch. Pulled the framework-res.apk, decompiled, edited bools, recompiled, signed, zipped, reflashed, and cleared dalvik/cache.

And son... of... a... Back to the bootloop. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

epicfailguy2

Jan 3, 2009
ECHO OFF ERROR FIX :
Go to advanced computer settings in properties of windows.
Search for Environment Variables
Edit the PATH one and add, ADD NOT DELETE, DO NOT DELETE, just ADD with the ;
";C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\" at the end of the list
change jre6 to jre7 if you're using java 7 (check the folder and path ofc)

Now the compiler should work and not give ECHO off.

skater4690

May 18, 2010
houston
for people having problems compiling i used the new aapt.exe and apktool.jar and also placed frameworkflasher directly on the C:\ drive and then boom it compiled!

Reactions: Krunk_Kracker

rootbrain

Jan 30, 2012
Meh. There's an app for that called screen off. Saves your power button and has this option, so not worth the time or effort IMO.

Reactions: Krunk_Kracker

gtcruz

Sep 20, 2011
Fort Bonifacio
success

hey guys, I'm proud to say that I was able to do this. The CRT effect happens all the time. I haven't seen it fail YET.

Some tips that I did for you everyone who is having a rough time doing it.
- Download updated aapt.exe and apktool.jar from here. Choose your OS there for the aapt, and just download the latest apktool
- Put the tool (FrameworkFlasher-1.1.4) in the C:\ directory (not sure with other OS but I'm guessing for you to put it in the root)
- Then let the flasher do its thing, it must run this time and no more echo off errors
- Use the nexus root toolkit in flashing the *.zip file for your nexus 7. If a bootloop happens, flash the old and unedited framework-res.apk then re-flash the edited version. Wipe the cache, and don't wipe the Dalvik.

I hope this helps. Thanks!

Reactions: NabhanKhan100

8xfan

Oct 24, 2011
Kulim
Noticed none of the current builds have the CRT animation enabled, thought I'd share how to turn it on. Please note that it is at times a bit buggy. For me it works about 8 out of 10 times.

Note: 1 - This will work on any device and on any version of Android back to GB. (Obviously the Nexus specific tools wont work on anything other than the Nexus)

not work for me :rolleyes:

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
I asked the question "Why" because it seems a lot of trouble just to see your device (N7, in this case) turn off. I've done a great deal of modding to my ICS devices, but haven't really found much reason to mod a JB device. I know there are tons of boot animations which make your device really different when turned on, but having CRT just for turning off your device seems a waste of time.

Of course, this is only my opinion and I'm glad you figured out how to do this, but I still don't understand why!

I don't understand why, if you're not interested why you have to waste our time with your effin nonsense! Get lost dude find something else to do! (I realize this may be very old but i am sick of trying to learn things and having to read through other peoples selfish Bull Sh!t)

Reactions: rtx101

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Noticed none of the current builds have the CRT animation enabled, thought I'd share how to turn it on. Please note that it is at times a bit buggy. For me it works about 8 out of 10 times.

What it is:

Note: 1 - This will work on any device and on any version of Android back to GB. (Obviously the Nexus specific tools wont work on anything other than the Nexus)

Note 2 - You will have to redo this every time you update your rom.

Here's the quick rundown -

First, you'll have to pull the framework-res.apk from your tablet.

This can be done via adb, but the easiest way would be to either use WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit or mskips Google Nexus 7 TOOLKIT.

When asked what file to pull, type in "/system/framework/framework-res.apk" (without quotes)

Once you have that pulled, install this tool: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1432152

Follow the directions on how to use it in the thread.

Once you have decompiled the apk, you'll want to edit the "files-to-edit\framework-res.apk\res\values\bools.xml" file.

The value you want to change in the bools value is the "<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">true</bool>" change "true" to "false". I reccommend downloading Notepad++ to edit.

Make sure you save it. Once saved, recompile the apk using the tool you install, then create an update zip (I renamed mine to crtanimation.zip for ease).

Reboot into recovery, flash the zip, clear cache, reboot.

Tada!
    I'm not really understanding the animosity with this simple mod...
    I asked the question "Why" because it seems a lot of trouble just to see your device (N7, in this case) turn off. I've done a great deal of modding to my ICS devices, but haven't really found much reason to mod a JB device. I know there are tons of boot animations which make your device really different when turned on, but having CRT just for turning off your device seems a waste of time.

Of course, this is only my opinion and I'm glad you figured out how to do this, but I still don't understand why!

Why not?

To sound cliche, Android is all about options.

I present you with yet another modding option.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    ECHO OFF ERROR FIX :
    Go to advanced computer settings in properties of windows.
    Search for Environment Variables
    Edit the PATH one and add, ADD NOT DELETE, DO NOT DELETE, just ADD with the ;
    ";C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\" at the end of the list
    change jre6 to jre7 if you're using java 7 (check the folder and path ofc)

Now the compiler should work and not give ECHO off.
    They most likely don't know what CRT animation is, NOT why they might want to make changes to the system.

Nothing in the OP provides a hint as to what that is or what it does. To be honest, I'm not sure I know what it is. A quick search shows that it is enabled in a lot of ROMs but not what it actually is or does.

Sent from my Nexus 7

If you don't know what it is then you obviously haven't flashed many roms and therefore should probably not even attempt this...

Thanks OP and sry for the ungrateful ones here.