FIX: Content Adaptive Backlight

Search This thread

Infinite Jest

Mar 26, 2012
Rockville
Are you referring to the behavior when you scroll through a webpage and the brightness adapts and flickers depending on the color content currently being displayed?

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
www.dinosaurstakefrance.com
yes content adaptive brightness works to make blacks look blacker since it's an LCD. they want to make it as close to amoled blacks as they can, therefore it changes the brightness in a way we can't adjust whatsoever. it has to be kernel as there's no software fix and it's not a hardware thing. nobody has made a single verizon kernel though, and i wonder why.. did LG never release source or something?

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk Pro

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
www.dinosaurstakefrance.com
screen filter does sort of help because it's like placing a semi transparent image over the screen to drop brightness.. but it drops contrast too so it doesn't look too good. it still does it but you don't notice it as much.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk Pro

Cookie&Cream

Jan 2, 2014
Hi guys, I am also a G2 user and I doubt it is an hardware fault because at first I thought it was so I went to service centre and had my LCD change but problem still exist with brightness below 50%, above %50 I dont really see flickering except exiting an app. Hope LG can fix this bug with a new kernel version or android 4.4 update.

atacante

Aug 1, 2012
Is there news about the flicker? i have in my G2 too :( if i change the firmware will again?

edit
problem solved with 10G ROM !!! (189 6EE/T-MOBILE(UNITED KINGDOM))

Last edited:

leechseed

Jun 27, 2012
Is this issue on all carrier versions?

I use auto-brightness and the annoyance I have is that it doesn't change brightness right away when entering different lighting environments. It either takes time or doesn't change at all until I uncheck/check the auto-brightness setting.

Couldbanybody answer this? Thanks

DenisJ

May 19, 2003
Because auto brightness works now. I uninstalled lux because LG fixed it in kitkat.

I also install kitkat on my VS980 (Verizon) ...cause I have this problem:
The light dim until 40-50% ... then from 50% til 100% stil remain unchanged, and the light on my phone is very low

Anybody still have this problem please ?
Thanks in advance
Denis

Jockson

Jan 4, 2011
So has this issue been fixed in latest roms? Thinking of getting this phone but this issue doesn't look like something I could live with.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen a few threads/comments here about the flickering/adjusting of the backlight level at lower (less than 50%) brightness levels even though auto-brightness was off. As was suspected, it's just due to a content adaptive backlight module. It can be shut off by just running the CABLPreferences activity of the com.qualcomm.cabl app. It also looks like there is a "quality" setting in there to play with that just varies the aggressiveness of the effect.

If you don't know how to launch an activity, you can do the following:

Via ADB:
    Code:
    adb shell "am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.qualcomm.cabl/com.qualcomm.cabl.CABLPreferences"

Via Terminal on your phone:
    Code:
    am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.qualcomm.cabl/com.qualcomm.cabl.CABLPreferences

I haven't done any more checking, but I'm guessing this is just a flag that could be set in sys/devices/blah... by init.d script on boot as well.

If you prefer a gui, there are plenty of launchers out there that can select an activity to start. I actually had it set up as a long-press pie on LMT while I was playing with it.

It seems (on my phone, at least), that the app wasn't as good at turning it back on, but you can just clear the app data/cache on "Content Adaptive Backlight Settings" in application manager, reboot, and you'll be back to stock behavior.

Sorry I didn't post this sooner. I've been too busy playing with the G2!
    Is this issue on all carrier versions?

I use auto-brightness and the annoyance I have is that it doesn't change brightness right away when entering different lighting environments. It either takes time or doesn't change at all until I uncheck/check the auto-brightness setting.
    Yep, I did...and I remembered I had set it to true before I even began messing with the CABL App. I was thinking that could be the difference between what you and I had tried, but I just did a bit more testing to see if it was happening still and unfortunately I think I may have seen it. I'll play with it a bit more later to be sure. I also did a quick look in the usual places for this to be turned on/off in /sys/class/ and couldn't find anything. I suppose it's possible LG built the kernel for this device without the ability to turn it off. If so...that'll be unfortunate.

I believe the original Nexus 7 had this feature in the kernel too. However, in custom kernels you could use Trickster mod to toggle the feature off. I think the kernel devs had to expose the setting though, so maybe we'll get this taken care of if we can get a custom kernel.
    Here are some build props for Qualcom devices that control the CABL

Code:
    ro.qualcomm.cabl=1
    hw.cabl.level=Auto
    persist.qcom.cabl.video_only=1

By adding / editing these lines in the build.prop you should be able to adjust as noted in the lines.

And yes, it is in the kernel.

Dont know why LG has an app for it?
    I've seen a few threads/comments here about the flickering/adjusting of the backlight level at lower (less than 50%) brightness levels even though auto-brightness was off. As was suspected, it's just due to a content adaptive backlight module. It can be shut off by just running the CABLPreferences activity of the com.qualcomm.cabl app. It also looks like there is a "quality" setting in there to play with that just varies the aggressiveness of the effect.

I'm not sure you really want to "fix" this feature.

LCD screens (like the one in the LG G2) have inherent low contrast ratio (just 1500:1, in comparison to infinity, with AMOLEDs). In order to compensate, LCD screens use a feature called "dynamic contrast", in which the backlight dims when the screen shows darker content, in order for the perceived black levels to appear darker (and not grey). I'm not sure you want to disable this feature, because the outcome will be grey blacks.