[GUIDE & TOOLKIT][1.21.14 Final Update] One-stop Guide for 7300/7310

Search This thread

gcaputo

Dec 17, 2013
factory reset will reduce the lag and the not starting apps and it won't remove the root
formatting system and installing a stock ROM through Odin will certainly solve the problem

it's not right that you should unroot before installing stock ROM you can do it without doing anything before

and there is no any deference between installing USA ROM or the French one

if you decide what you wanna do just tell us what do you want and we'll guide you ;)

What is the easiest method to install the USA rom... where can I find a guide for it?

knorki

Feb 6, 2014
the usb drivers dont work for me on windows 8. Does anyone else has this problem? Are their any newer usb drivers? I want to flash stock rom via odin but my laptop didnt find my tab... :(

NickBalazs__

Aug 1, 2016
recovery issue

so i guess i had twrp the whole time but i tried to install cwm and when i did it i got the nand start or something and it failed then i get the screen on my tablet that says update in kies firmware issue what can i flash to get it back to normal? and i cant get into download mode but the screen says odin mode at the top and i get the approved sign in odin

Dec 29, 2016
Root i957 lte Att 4.0.4?

Anyone have a root method for the SGH i957 att lte version running 4.0.4 ICS? I have been looking everywhere for a solution. There are tutorials on the 7300 7310 7320 and 7320t but nothing on the i957. From what I have read this requires a different rooting process than the 7300 series. I believe the 7320 and 7320t are lte versions but the kernels and methods will brick this one. Am I right? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am new here to XDA. I have leaned a ton in the short time I have been here thanks to forums, threads, and responses from members of the community. What a huge resource of helpful people and information! Thank you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Final Update 1.21.2014 » Changelog.

For support beyond this guide, please look in another thread. I no longer have this product.
    Thanks for all your support in this thread!

Bulletin Board

If your ROM has issues with root, see Fixing Root How-To for the solution.

-----------------------------
    Common ICS issues FAQ by fred_be9300 here
    ------------------------------
    NOTE: If you ever experience screen issues with the included CWM Recovery in the Toolkit, please flash the alternate version here or even better, flash TWRP (but be warned this guide's based on CWM).

This guide covers the following for models GT-P7300 and GT-P7310 in FAQ and How-TO sections:
    Root/Unroot, Bootloader Mode, Odin, Recoveries & NANDROID Backup.
    --------------------------------------------------

Greetings people. The main focus of this guide is centralizing information and files about the title contents to help bolster this community. I'll be as clear as possible in this little guide and excuse me if my English isn't perfect (it isn't my native language) and this is my first XDA guide. Oh and a little disclaimer: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU IN ANY WAY DAMAGE YOUR TABLET. BY FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE YOU ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS. ALSO PLEASE NOTE THIS GUIDE HAS BEEN WRITTEN WITH A WINDOWS PC IN MIND. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WINDOWS PC AVAILABLE, GET ONE, BORROW ONE, I DUNNO, but you need one. That said, let's begin.

--------------------------------------------------

FAQ Section​

About Root

• What exactly is root and what does it do in my Galaxy Tab 8.9?
    XDA user phonic covered the technical details in this post, but basically root allows you to access and control (through applications) the device's internal system files, therefore making you a "superuser". Some apps require root. Advantages such as ad-blocking and more are only available if your device is rooted.

About Bootloader, Recovery & Download Modes

• What is Bootloader Mode and how can I access it?

Bootloader Mode is a menu where you manage core functions in your device. In order to access Download Mode (needed for ODIN) and/or Recovery Mode (needed to flash ROMs and more), you will need to enter Bootloader Mode by holding VOL- when turning ON your Gtab, selecting the mode using VOL-, and entering by using VOL+. The box icon represents the Recovery Mode and the other one the Download Mode. While inside Recovery Mode, the Power button will act as an "Enter" button while the volume buttons will move the cursor.

• I read something about Stock Recovery and CWM Recovery. What are those?

There are two types of recoveries. The default one that comes with your GTab (Stock Recovery which looks like this) and the CWM (Clockwork Mod) one which has cyan-colored letters for our GTabs. To flash ROMs and manage your device a bit more, you need the CWM one.[/U][/COLOR][/B]

• Can I flash the CWM Recovery using the ROM Manager app? Oh and which file format is compatible?

Refrain from that. As of this writing, the ROM Manager app does not have a CWM Recovery compatible with our specific GTabs. If you still proceed, you will softbrick your device and your device will have to do a trip to ODIN in order to work properly once more. CWM-flashable files are .zip files.

About NANDROID Backup

• What's NANDROID and why is it recommended?

Simple, a NANDROID is a master backup tool which is available through the CWM Recovery's "backup and restore" menu. It stores everything in the ROM except the kernel and your SDcard contents such as pictures, music, documents, etc (so always backup those elsewhere). It's more like this analogy: a photograph which captured the exact state of your ROM, apps and all at the moment of backup. It is recommended in case of emergency and in case you need to go back to the latest working ROM. How-To section below.

About ODIN

• What's ODIN?

ODIN's a troubleshooting/emergency tool in case your GTab bootloops (eternal restarting of a device, i.e. softbrick). Please note that if your device's screen doesn't even turn on (an example of a hardbrick) then you may be out of luck. This tool can save your GTab if you follow instructions, or can hardbrick your GTab if you don't follow instructions.

• Where can I find ODIN? Do I need something like a driver to make it work? Also, which file format is compatible?

Yes you do need a driver first (provided at the end of this guide) and a Windows PC. The ODIN program is inside the zip inside the Toolkit provided at the end of this guide. As suggested by developer alterbridge86, use ODIN version 1.85. Regarding file compatibility, generally the .tar files are the ones for ODIN.

• Does it remove Root and custom recoveries such as CWM in case of a warranty claim?

Yes. There are two ways:

[*]Flashing an ODIN image to go back to stock defaults (easier in my opinion). If you want to use ODIN then you have options in the Development forum, specifically this thread.

OR

[*]Flashing a CWM zip file (CWM, which is a Recovery, will be discussed in the Recovery FAQ below) after doing all wipes and restoring Stock Recovery (Restoring Stock Recovery How-To is below these FAQs)

• Ok, so how do I use the tool?

The How-to section is below the FAQs.

How-To Section

Remember, all files mentioned in this section this way are included in the Toolkit at the end of this guide.

[ Rooting ]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Make sure to download the Toolkit from the link at the end of this post and put the "Root" .zip in your device's internal memory. You will enter Bootloader Mode, and then Recovery Mode as detailed in the About Bootloader FAQ above. You will now select "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" and look for the Root.zip which you previously put in your SDcard. Select it with the Power button to flash it and then reboot your device. When your device finally boots, check if the SuperSU app is available, if it is then you're rooted now.

[ Fixing Root ]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

In some cases a ROM can come with a broken root due to the superuser binary being located in the wrong system folder. Please flash the Root.zip package in CWM Recovery. The Root package will delete the offending binary from the wrong place and install it in the right place. For more instructions, see Rooting How-to.

[Unrooting]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For unrooting, proceed to Bootloader Mode and select the Recovery icon (detailed in the About Bootloader FAQ above) please flash the CWM Recovery flashable file provided in the Toolkit link at the end of this guide called "Unroot". Now reboot your device. If there is no app called SuperSU or Superuser in your apps list, then your device is now unrooted.

[Installing the CWM Recovery]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

First, you need the file called either "7310_CWMR" or "7300_CWMR" depending on your model, inside your device's SDcard. The procedure is very similar to Rooting and either procedure can be done first. Go to Bootloader Mode (as detailed in the FAQ above), then Recovery (assuming you've Stock Recovery), select "apply update from /sdcard", then look for the file you put in the SDcard. Select it with the Power button to flash it. Now, reboot once more to Bootloader Mode, go to Recovery Mode and now you will see the CWM Recovery Mode. You are now ready to flash stuff. Please note you don't need root to flash a ROM, just this CWM Recovery. Be sure to follow the ROM thread's instructions precisely.

[Restoring Stock Recovery]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For this one you will need to use ODIN. Locate the file "Stock Recovery", which is a .tar file, perfect for ODIN's PDA section. Follow the ODIN 1.85's HOW-TO below.

[Doing a NANDROID Backup/Restore]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

You need CWM Recovery for this one. Once you're in CWM Recovery, the process is straightforward. Look for the "backup and restore" menu, access it and you will see two options: "backup" and "restore". Select "backup" and wait until the system gathers all data and packs it as a backup located in your internal memory, inside a folder called "clockworkmod". Once more, remember this will not backup your SDcard contents such as your documents, music, pictures, etc (so always have a backup of those elsewhere).

For restoring the process is the same. You need to do the following to ensure a proper restore and prevent issues that might pop up: Wipe your system using CWM Recovery's "wipe data/factory reset" and after that go to "advanced" and now "wipe dalvik cache". Now go to the "mounts and storage" menu and select "format /system". That was a full wipe. Now proceed to the "backup and restore" menu, select "restore" to select your backup. Remember to reflash the kernel if you had one that didn't come with the ROM (like _motley's for example).

[Using ODIN 1.85]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Enter Bootloader Mode and then Download Mode as detailed in the FAQ above. Be sure to have installed the drivers (included in the zip at the end of this guide) in your Windows computer along with the ODIN program anywhere in your PC (also included in the Toolkit at the end of this guide). Open ODIN 1.85 in your PC, look for the "PDA" button, press it and look for the right file (which usually is the biggest-size file inside the downloaded and unzipped ROM .zip). THE FOLLOWING THREAD OFFERS MOST ODIN IMAGES. IF AVAILABLE, put the CSC, PIT and whatnot files in their corresponding places by pressing the corresponding buttons (IF these files aren't available, ignore this sentence). The PIT file is only necessary in case you want to have the Repartition option available and want to repartition the device (this is an alternative that can work in case of a really borked tablet full of bootloops even after a normal ODIN session without Repartition). Now, assuming you have the drivers installed in your PC, connect the device while in Download Mode, and you will see that ODIN will see it in a yellow rectangle in the upper section that says COM# (# being any number). BEFORE CLICKING "START" MAKE SURE "F. RESET TIME" IS CHECKED ON THE LEFT SIDE. Now, click the START button inside ODIN and it's flashing time. Wait until the blue meter fills. After ODIN says PASS in a green square, you can then reboot the device (long pressing the Power button is an alternative if it doesn't auto-reboot).

Toolkit Link: shorturl.at/pqCIY
    SHA-1: 4DC13D60280ECA6352704AA72153E5E4EDF875E0
    MD5: 59CC2548FC76D93075FDF8B392DAA1AE

Contains essentials such as: Drivers, Root, Unroot, Stock Recovery, CWM Recovery & ODIN files. Remember to unzip the package. Also, with drivers being included, you don't need to install KIES.​

[CREDIT GOES TO]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

alterbridge86 (For his ROMs and the first CWM Recovery for our tablets)
    _motley & Team Galaxian Soup (For their excellent kernels and deodexed ROMs)
    kallt_kaffe (Pioneer in bringing the newer CWM Recovery to our tablets along with CyanogenMod ROMs)
    suwandiapr (For the flashable unroot file and ODIN image thread)
    phonic (Great rooting explanation and manual unroot post)
    lufc & sudec123 (For the past mirror links)
    Chainfire (For making SuperSU)
    SamHaLeKe (For the Samsung USB drivers)
    ...and to anyone I might have forgotten, do say in a PM :).
    Changelog

Code:
    [B][COLOR="Red"][I]1/21/2014 - FINAL UPDATE[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated SuperSU to v1.91 for Root.zip - Important fix for Android 4.4.x

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/19/2014[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated SuperSU to v1.89 for Root.zip
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated Adobe Flash Player to last release v.11.1.115.81
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated Samsung USB drivers to v1.5.29.0
    [B]BULLETIN BOARD[/B] - Suggested TWRP Recovery with a warning.
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Deleted Mirror Link for Toolkit due to HotFile's shutdown.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]4/20/2013[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Replaced Superuser with SuperSU (v1.25) for Root.zip
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated Unroot.zip to remove either Superuser or SuperSU
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated Adobe Flash Player to version 11.1.115.54
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated Samsung USB drivers to version 1.5.18.0
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Modified Rooting, Fixing Root and Unrooting How-to to reflect Toolkit changes.
    [B]BULLETIN BOARD[/B] - Redirected users having root issues to the right place, reflecting Toolkit changes.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/13/2013[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Unroot How-To - Added solution for ROMs that have the root binary 
    in the wrong place. See [B][COLOR="Red"]red[/COLOR][/B] note.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/9/2013[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Corrected error in the manual Unroot command (thanks trekker99!)

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]11/17/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated Root.zip and Unroot.zip
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated Adobe Flash Player to version 11.1.115.27
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated MD5 and SHA-1 checksums.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]10/12/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Suggested Common ICS issues FAQ by fred_be9300 
            before the introduction.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]10/07/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated & Fixed Root.zip. Independent file [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32496433&postcount=257"]here[/URL].
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated USB drivers to v1.5.15.0. 
              No need to reinstall if you installed a previous version.
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - For convenience. Added Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.17
              (latest version for ICS and Jelly Bean ROMs).

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]8/04/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Added MD5 and SHA-1 of the Toolkit in its section.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]7/25/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - CWM Recovery v.6.0.0.8 included. 
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Alternate version link also [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21194554&postcount=2"]included[/URL] in case 
    of screen issues in some units.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]7/22/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Major redesign. Users can now choose what to view.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]7/21/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Minor, simpler redesign using the Roboto font.
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - PIT file for ODIN now included
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Drivers updated to v.1.5.6.0
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - CWM Recovery v.6.0.0.0 included

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]7/1/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - *Fixing Root* How-To section updated and further simplified.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]6/17/2012[/I][/COLOR]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Added one important detail in Nandroid FAQ/How-To and Toolkit sections.
    [B]CHANGELOG[/B] - Format revised for consistency.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]6/10/2012[/I][/COLOR]
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated Drivers to v.1.5.5.0.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]5/19/2012[/I][/COLOR]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Reorganized contents for ease of use.
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Changed the CWM Recovery to a fixed one by kallt_kaffe due
    to several getprop status7 flash errors with the one provided by alterbridge86.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]5/8/2012[/I][/COLOR]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Minor redesign.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]4/24/2012[/I][/COLOR]
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - USB Driver version 1.5.4.0 now included.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]4/8/2012[/I][/COLOR]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Included suwandiapr's ODIN images thread link in both ODIN FAQ & How-To 
    as reference.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]4/7/2012[/I][/COLOR]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Minor revisions in "Fixing Root" and manual "Unroot" commands.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]2/25/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Minor redesign.
    Fixed manual Unroot commands.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]2/23/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Discarded model specific CWM Recoveries and 
    replaced them with an universal flashable 
    for convenience. Credit goes to alterbridge86.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]2/16/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Deleted ODIN image suggestions.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]2/5/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE & TOOLKIT[/B] - Updated with the newer CWM Recovery along with instructions where needed. 
    [B]TOOLKIT[/B] - Unroot flashable included along with a newer driver (not necessary if you already installed the previous one).
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Suggested firmware KHA for the 7310 instead of the KL2 one at ODIN FAQ's third question due to better feedback.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/30/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Added newer KL2 ODIN firmware link for the 7310 in the FAQ. 

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/27/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Minor reorganization/cleanup.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/25/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Improved ODIN How-To with one little but very important detail in red.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/23/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Removed Filesonic mirror due to them shutting down their file sharing services.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/20/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Improved 3rd question of ODIN FAQ and also replaced links with the right ODIN images (had mistakenly put CWM links instead of ODIN image links). 
    Added a little disclaimer in the Bootloader FAQ in red.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/19/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Removed the non-working Megaupload mirror link because of [URL="http://gizmodo.com/5877612/feds-kill-megaupload"]this[/URL].

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/14/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Added 3 new mirror links (thanks sudec123!). 
    Replaced KK5 (7300) ODIN firmware link with KL4.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]1/12/2012[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Improved Unroot How-To.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]12/28/2011[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Added Fixing Root How-To and updated ODIN FAQ with a new question.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]12/26/2011[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]GUIDE[/B] - Added NANDROID FAQ and How-To.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][I]12/22/2011[/I][/COLOR][/B]
    Initial guide.
    Goodbye!

Today's update was the last one. I thank you all for your support and I'm glad this guide was helpful to many of you. Once more, thanks!
    Nirogu 325

Heh, I just noticed that I have funny problem.
    When I did “P7310UELA3” and then “P7310UELPB“ to recover my flicker screen I lost my ROOT.
    Few days ago I wanted to root my device again and something funny happened.

I putted my root.zip file on my tablet.
    Then when I enter Bootloader and Recovery mode there is option “apply update from external storage” but when I wanted to do that it shows no files inside???
    It just says “E: unknown volume for path [/sdcard]”

I tried same with CWM but with same result.
    My Recovery mode just do not see, either “/sdcard” or “.zip” files.

Have you any idea what is happening?

I want to root my device for some programs that I want to use.

PS. Originally my device was from Swiss (maybe that information is important because UELA flash).
    Ok, this is what I did just now: you have to first recover the SDcard partition by ODINing back to firmware UELA3 which will flash the only Stock Recovery that can fix your SDcard partition. Once you're on that Stock Recovery, do a wipe (note this will wipe your SDcard contents since it repartitions) and your SDcard should be ready for CWM.
    Okay, I downloaded it and flashed it (set it to PDA) and it failed. Odin says
    <ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

and the Tab says

Partition size is small!! [Bin:173568 > part:147968] (4kb unit)
    WriteExt4Partition: Error to OpenCompExt4![err:0xa]
    DownloadPartition_odin: Error to WriteExt14Partition![err:0xa]
    Tegra_Nand_Write: Error to DownloadPartition_odin[err:0xa]

Thanks for your help.
    Looks like ROM Manager busted your partition table. In this case you need a .pit file in the PIT section (attached below and don't forget to unzip). You then flash (at once) both files (the one that goes in PDA too) using ODIN. If the suggested firmware does not work, then you should find another one in the Development section for your unit (be it 3G or Wi-Fi).

Edit: If after flashing both things and you succeed, and you still see errors in red letters in the Stock Recovery, you may need to format the whole thing in Stock Recovery. This is the worst case scenario and I hope it doesn't happen.