[FAQ]S-ON Users with Wifi errors or problems Booting please read

Search This thread

mikeysteele

Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne
LeEco Le Pro3
I'm writing this as these questions commonly get asked in the development threads, taking them off topic.

S-ON users commonly run into these problems, which are quite simple to solve with the right information.

When your device is S-ON and unlocked via the HTC Method, the boot partition is mounted read-only in recovery mode, which causes these problems flashing custom kernels or custom roms.

a) Flashing a custom kernel through recovery mode breaks wifi:

Android uses the linux kernel, and the wifi drivers are compiled as kernel modules. The kernel modules are located in /system/lib/modules, and the linux kernel is located on the boot partition. When you flash the kernel zip file through recovery, the updated kernel modules get successfully written to the system partition however the linux kernel cannot get written to the boot partition. The result of this is that the kernel now cannot load the wifi kernel modules. This is what causes the WIFI error.

Solution: Download FlashImgGui from the market, and use that to install the kernel. This program can successfully write the new kernel to the boot partition eliminating the mismatch between the kernel and wifi modules.

b) Flashing a custom rom through recovery breaks wifi.

This problem is basically the same as a). The boot partition cannot be written so the kernel that came with the rom isn't written to it. This causes a mismatch between the kernel modules in the custom rom and the kernel.

Solution: You can either flash a custom kernel with FlashImgGui, or extract the boot.img file from the custom rom's zip file and copy to your computer. Then use the fastboot binary to flash the boot.img to the boot partition. This will copy the kernel that is packaged with the rom to your phone, which will fix the mismatch between the kernel and wifi modules.

C) Flashing a custom rom through recovery causes boot loops or the phone hanging at the HTC screen.

Some custom roms need a different initrd.gz file to the standard one. The initrd.gz file is located on the boot partition. When you flash the custom rom through recovery, the boot partition cannot get written and so the new initrd.gz isn't written to it. This is what causes the problems booting.

Solution: Same as above. Extract the boot.img from the zip file and flash with fastboot. This will copy the correct initrd.gz file to your phone and allow the rom to function correctly.

MODS: If you feel this is in the wrong section please move it. I'm only posting here as these questions always pop up in the development threads.

mikeysteele

Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne
LeEco Le Pro3
actually it can be solved by
1. booting into bootloader (or via cmd :adb reboot bootloader)
2. flash boot "cwm.img" <<<name of the cwm file
3. flash via cwm
4. wifi will back on

That method is useful for avoiding the problems in the first place, but its easier to flash the boot.img than flash recovery and reinstall the ROM for users who already have the problem.

s_superman

Jan 20, 2011
Cairo
www.google.com
doesnt it has any thing to do with the RADIO ???

because my phone came with another radio than the widely used one

and hboot 1.18
and I had tons of problems with wifi with every single rom

so I downgraded it to hboot 1.07 by flashing the EU 1.20 rom which came with the radio used here and achieved s-off using revolutionary
and all wifi problems were gone for good :)

mikeysteele

Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne
LeEco Le Pro3

and hboot 1.18

so I downgraded it to hboot 1.07 by flashing the EU 1.20 rom which came with the radio used here and achieved s-off using revolutionary

Absolutely nothing to do with the radio. Your wifi problems were solved once you got S-OFF :) . S-OFF means the boot partitions is mounted read-write in recovery mode so you do not have any of the problems I listed in the OP.

Reactions: s_superman

sahandv1989

Oct 15, 2010
Tehran
hi i have no access to market and i dont find the link to download out of market plz any one can upload the apk or zip and put the link ????

catbert77

Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for the information, but I don't think it's entirely accurate. Those with older phones (that haven't taken updates from HTC) will possibly have the old radio firmware. And if you are S-ON and HBOOT1.5, there's no way to 'get' the new firmware on the phone if you are unlocked.

So you must get the updated radio firmware (1216), put in in the root, relock the phone, and do a bootloader boot to flash the radio firmware. Unlock again, and then you are good to go. I had the 8xx version radio firmware and couldn't run any newer ROMS with working wifi until I got the updated firmware.

Be advised that lock/unlocking wipes your phone.

Salv0

Oct 23, 2010
I followed the instructions but it doesn't work :(
What I did is:
1) Installed the custom ROM
2) installed the boot.img from fastboot
3) rebooted -> but stuck at htc logo

My friend's EVO 3D GSM has:
HBOOT 1.49.0018
S-ON
Unlocked

Can someone help me?? :)
thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm writing this as these questions commonly get asked in the development threads, taking them off topic.

S-ON users commonly run into these problems, which are quite simple to solve with the right information.

When your device is S-ON and unlocked via the HTC Method, the boot partition is mounted read-only in recovery mode, which causes these problems flashing custom kernels or custom roms.

a) Flashing a custom kernel through recovery mode breaks wifi:

Android uses the linux kernel, and the wifi drivers are compiled as kernel modules. The kernel modules are located in /system/lib/modules, and the linux kernel is located on the boot partition. When you flash the kernel zip file through recovery, the updated kernel modules get successfully written to the system partition however the linux kernel cannot get written to the boot partition. The result of this is that the kernel now cannot load the wifi kernel modules. This is what causes the WIFI error.

Solution: Download FlashImgGui from the market, and use that to install the kernel. This program can successfully write the new kernel to the boot partition eliminating the mismatch between the kernel and wifi modules.

b) Flashing a custom rom through recovery breaks wifi.

This problem is basically the same as a). The boot partition cannot be written so the kernel that came with the rom isn't written to it. This causes a mismatch between the kernel modules in the custom rom and the kernel.

Solution: You can either flash a custom kernel with FlashImgGui, or extract the boot.img file from the custom rom's zip file and copy to your computer. Then use the fastboot binary to flash the boot.img to the boot partition. This will copy the kernel that is packaged with the rom to your phone, which will fix the mismatch between the kernel and wifi modules.

C) Flashing a custom rom through recovery causes boot loops or the phone hanging at the HTC screen.

Some custom roms need a different initrd.gz file to the standard one. The initrd.gz file is located on the boot partition. When you flash the custom rom through recovery, the boot partition cannot get written and so the new initrd.gz isn't written to it. This is what causes the problems booting.

Solution: Same as above. Extract the boot.img from the zip file and flash with fastboot. This will copy the correct initrd.gz file to your phone and allow the rom to function correctly.

MODS: If you feel this is in the wrong section please move it. I'm only posting here as these questions always pop up in the development threads.
    actually it can be solved by
    1. booting into bootloader (or via cmd :adb reboot bootloader)
    2. flash boot "cwm.img" <<<name of the cwm file
    3. flash via cwm
    4. wifi will back on
    exactly what i have discovered

i can provide the testimony that the above are correct !

THANKS FOR CONFIRMING IT

and hboot 1.18

Absolutely nothing to do with the radio. Your wifi problems were solved once you got S-OFF :) . S-OFF means the boot partitions is mounted read-write in recovery mode so you do not have any of the problems I listed in the OP.