Free and permanent t989 unlock

Search This thread

f_v_man

Jan 24, 2007
Warning: I am not responsible for any damage that happens to your phones. This is intended for educational purposes only. It is your responsibility to comply with local laws and follow them.

I read this post - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34661189

and went searching for the same in T-989 and I found it!!!! Different area and slightly different procedure.

I haven't tried other ROM/Radios combos so I guess this was an unpatched bug for UVLE1 ROM/radio version combination only. If you do get it working different ROM/radio combos please PM me and I will modify the original post to reflect it with appropriate credits.

Clarification: This unlock procedure is permanent. I.E. if you flash another radio or another ROM the phone will remain unlocked. But for this procedure to work you need UVLE1 ROM/radio (some users have posted that you only need UVLE1 radio but for the sake of keeping in simple and accurate, I am going to stick to recommending UVLE1 ROM/Radio)

So enough of the rant - here is goes. Follow this to the dot and you will have an unlocked T989.

Prerequisites - T989 with UVLE1 Radio. If you don't know what it is please search the forum how to flash it and come back to follow procedure. You can follow this link for further reading for all other info - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1324517 - (Thank You allgamer)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Turn off phone. Insert a SIM from another provider into your phone.

Click "DISMISS" on the Enter Unlock Code screen after the phone starts up.

Wait a minute for the phone to power on and settle down.

Go to dailer screen. press *#197328640#

The screen will change to the hidden menu as soon as you hit the last # key in the dailer

Press [1]DEBUG SCREEN
Press [8]PHONE CONTROL
Press [5] SIMULATION
Press [6] NETWORK LOCK
Press [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF

Wait atleast 30 seconds

press the menu key on the phone and select back option. This will take you back to NETWORK LOCK screen.

Press [4] NW LOCK NV DATA INITIALLIZ

Wait atleast one minute and reboot the phone.

Your phone should be unlocked.

I tried this on T-989 UVLE1 original ROM with root ON.

I haven't tested it on any other version or ROMs or any other phones.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything you do with your phone.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please post some results to help the community!!!

Thank you.

FM.

Last edited:

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Thanks for spreading owls work. Good post and I need to try this when I get my hands on a different SIM.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Pajar0913

rymanh

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto
Yeah I might have to borrow a friends sim to test it out.. I don't need my phone unlocked atm but I still want to try just for the heck of it

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Tornade69

Nov 4, 2011
Montreal Northshore
Just weird that we have to go in a "simulation" menu to unlock our device... So is this a real or simulate unlock??? Also, some users from the n7105 thread report some issue after doing that procedures, like slow wi-fi, no carrier network name on status bar or signal bar showing without sim in the phone. Anyone else???

dh010447

Apr 30, 2006
This does not work for me. I get the following message when I select PERSO SHA256 OFF:

MENU NOT EXIST
PRESS BACK KEY
Current command is 18543

I am running android 4.0.4 on UVLH1

Tumblebee

Oct 14, 2012
This does not work for me. I get the following message when I select PERSO SHA256 OFF:

MENU NOT EXIST
PRESS BACK KEY
Current command is 18543

I get the same message on my T989D (stock ROM), but my NETWORK LOCK option was [4] instead of [6]. I guess it doesn't work for that phone :(

sbell7105

Jan 16, 2011
Denver

MENU NOT EXIST
PRESS BACK KEY
Current command is 18543

After successfully unlocking my t999 using this I decided to try with the old Hercules :) after many failed attempts no matter what version of stock I was on I flashed the uvle1 radio and it worked perfect.

yabbb

Feb 8, 2010
After successfully unlocking my t999 using this I decided to try with the old Hercules :) after many failed attempts no matter what version of stock I was on I flashed the uvle1 radio and it worked perfect.

But would changing the radio relock you afterwards?

tpag02

Apr 16, 2012
OK. So I don't claim responsibility for discovering this. I am not responsible for any damage that happens to your phones.

and went searching for the same in T-989 and I found it!!!! Different area but the same procedure.

=====ALL Credits to Owl74 on XDA-Developers=====
PLEASE DO NOT REP ME. REP Owl74 for this. He earned it. He discovered it.

So enough of the rant - here is goes.

Insert a SIM from another provider into your phone.

Click "DISMISS" on the Enter Unlock Code screen after the phone start up.

Go to dailer screen. press *#197328640#.

press [1]DEBUG SCREEN
Press [8]PHONE CONTROL
Press [5] SIMULATION
Press [6] NETWORK LOCK
Wait exactly 30 seconds
press the menu key on the phone and select back option. This will take you back to NETWORK LOCK screen.
Wait exactly one minute and reboot the phone.
Should be unlocked.
I haven't tested it on any other version or ROMs or any other phone.

i guess i have to return my phone to stock, i have a CM10 Rom and it didn´t work

sbell7105

Jan 16, 2011
Denver
But would changing the radio relock you afterwards?

It did not lock back up after changing radios! I was totally sure that's what would happen but it's doing fine. I was on 10/13 dougshell nightly aokp build using uvlh1 radio, I flashed a stock rooted uvlh1 4.0.4 after no success I tried changing to uvle1 radio and boom! Unlock city :) I then flashed newest blaze radio uvlh5 and 12/01 konstantinkeller aokp nightly and happy to report still sim unlocked.

Tornade69

Nov 4, 2011
Montreal Northshore
Maybe i'm wrong but it seems that it work only on a 4.0.3 radio and/or Rom... As soon as i have my girlfriend unroot/lock koodo's phone on my hand, i'll try it cause mine is already unlock...

tpag02

Apr 16, 2012
After all i was able to unlock it sucessfully :D, The thing is just to flash the UVLE1 Radio in a stock Rom like 4.0.4 as i did, and then follow the steps :D

sbell7105

Jan 16, 2011
Denver
Reactions: cricketAC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning: I am not responsible for any damage that happens to your phones. This is intended for educational purposes only. It is your responsibility to comply with local laws and follow them.

and went searching for the same in T-989 and I found it!!!! Different area and slightly different procedure.

I haven't tried other ROM/Radios combos so I guess this was an unpatched bug for UVLE1 ROM/radio version combination only. If you do get it working different ROM/radio combos please PM me and I will modify the original post to reflect it with appropriate credits.

Clarification: This unlock procedure is permanent. I.E. if you flash another radio or another ROM the phone will remain unlocked. But for this procedure to work you need UVLE1 ROM/radio (some users have posted that you only need UVLE1 radio but for the sake of keeping in simple and accurate, I am going to stick to recommending UVLE1 ROM/Radio)

So enough of the rant - here is goes. Follow this to the dot and you will have an unlocked T989.

Prerequisites - T989 with UVLE1 Radio. If you don't know what it is please search the forum how to flash it and come back to follow procedure. You can follow this link for further reading for all other info - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1324517 - (Thank You allgamer)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Turn off phone. Insert a SIM from another provider into your phone.

Click "DISMISS" on the Enter Unlock Code screen after the phone starts up.

Go to dailer screen. press *#197328640#

The screen will change to the hidden menu as soon as you hit the last # key in the dailer

Press [1]DEBUG SCREEN
    Press [8]PHONE CONTROL
    Press [5] SIMULATION
    Press [6] NETWORK LOCK

Wait atleast 30 seconds

Wait atleast one minute and reboot the phone.

Your phone should be unlocked.

I haven't tested it on any other version or ROMs or any other phones.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Please post some results to help the community!!!

Thank you.

FM.
    Hi All,

I'm a newbie and I have silly questions.
    1) How do I boot into recovery mode? and how do I choose to flash a radio? Do I need to install a specific recovery software? I would really appreciate if somoeone will able to post a detailed "unlocking for dummies" guide, starting from an unrooted phone. A medal of honor will be given if the guide will start from a stock, unrooted phone.
    2) I understand the latest version of the radio is UVLI. Should I use it or use the one that comes with my phone? (I would like as few problems as possible)?

Thanks!

No question is silly! I was completely a newbie 2 days ago, it took me 2 nights to figure it out, so for newbies that have some technical background, here we go!

*** NOTE that you only need to do the following if you have a radio other than UVLE1 AND you have tried the steps provided by OP and it won't work ***
    *** All the file mentioned below should be easily found here ***
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1514434
    UVLE1 radio can be found here
    http://goo.im/devs/Void_Dweller/SGH-T989_UVLE1_radio.zip

(You know I have to say this, I am not responsible for any consequence this might cause:)):

1. Download and unzip T-Mobile_t989_GSII_ADB_Drivers.zip, then run the installer from your PC, this driver is needed for your phone to communicate with your PC, hook up your phone to the PC and the drivers should be installed automatically, unplug your phone.
    2. Download and unzip Odin3-v1.85.zip to your PC, this program is used to install the ClockWorkMod recovery mode, as you may think, you need to download ClockWorkMod too: download recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.7-hercules.tar and DON'T unzip.
    Now turn off your phone, you need to boot it to "Download Mode": hold down Volume - and Home button, press the Power button for a couple of seconds until the phone vibrates, then let go the Power button while still holding the Volume - and Home, a few seconds later, the screen will prompt you to press Volumn + to enter the Download Mode, now you are in Download Mode
    3. Hook up your phone to the PC, run Odin3 v1.85.exe, you will see the phone has been connected as "COM#", now we are going to install the ClockWorkMod, check "PDA", select the file recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.7-hercules.tar, and hit Start, after it's completed, unplug your phone, restart your phone and make sure it's working properly :)
    4. Now we have the new recovery mode, why do we need it? Because we need it to install the new radio UVLE1. What is a radio? it's just some programs in your phone to provide the network, wifi, gps, etc functionalities.
    Your need a microSD card to do the next step. Download SGH-T989_UVLE1_radio.zip and save the file to your microSD card. Open the cover of your phone, insert the microSD card, if you haven't put in the SIM card yet, put in the SIM card too.
    Now we need to go into the "Recovery Mode", turn off your phone, hold BOTH Volume + and Volume - down, then press Power button for a couple of seconds until the phone vibrates, let go the Power button while still holding the Volume + and Volume -, a few seconds later you are in Recovery Mode. You should see some options with a hat icon on the screen, if you see a 3D Andriod logo lying down with it's stomach opened, you need to go back to STEP 2 -- the new recovery mode has not been installed. Please note that in the recovery mode, you have the options to backup your system, do it if you think necessary. Now select install zip from sdcard, select SGH-T989_UVLE1_radio.zip, use the power button to confirm, after the new radio has been installed, restart your phone and follow the steps provided by the OP!

Hope you enjoy your new phone, I've done this and successfully unlock my T-989D to work with WIND!!
    Can you teach me step by step? like how to flash your radio with UVLE1. and all related links. Thanks!

I take the question... You just have to download this zip: http://goo.im/devs/Void_Dweller/SGH-T989_UVLE1_radio.zip

Once you downloaded it...

1. Put the zip in the SD Card
    2. Reboot into Recovery
    3. Choose the Zip and install it
    4. then reboot ;)
    Still the same situation after the 30sec I use menu and back and for me there is no option 4. I don't give up easy but I been at it all day. Here is what I did with what you gave me.
    1. Flashed via odin the rom you gave me: T989UVLE1_T989TMBLE1_T989UVLE1_HOME.tar
    2. rooted using this method: odin flashing this kernel then SU
    3. Flashed the radio from the OP at the beginning of the thread.

And followed instructions to the T. If you can help out a little more please. Thank's need to get this down pat I have 5 more S2's I have to unlock.

After you install this you should be back to bone stock. The md5 flashes the uvle1 radio, stock kernel, stock ROM, and stock recovery. DO NOT FLASH A CUSTOM RECOVERY AND ROOT before unlocking. After you unlock, do whatever you want, but in order to unlock everything has to be bone stock. Flash the md5 with Odin, which also flashes the radio, then unlock following the steps in the original post, you can can root, and flash any ROM, recovery, radio etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app
    Does this work with T989D!

Yes, i just tried it.