[Q] Root

Search This thread

iBolski

I am on 4.1.2 though

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

OMG, have you not been reading what's going on in this thread as well as everywhere else in this forum and others?

Here is what you need to do:

1. Upgrade to the latest Kit Kat OTA
  2. Get Towelroot and root your KK phone
  3. Get Motopocalypse and unlock your phone.
  4. Profit.

iBolski

Has anyone had issues with it not updating? I get about 1/3 of the way through and it stops,phone restarts, and Android gives me an update failed dialog.

How are you updating? Are you using a full FXD image or an OTA update? How are you applying this "update"? Via recovery (what recovery - stock, TWRP, CWM), RSDLite, House of Moto tools, etc?

If you're doing the straight OTA, then have you rooted before? Are you running on a custom ROM? You must be on full stock (flash and FXD image using SamuriHL's House of Moto tools or RSDLite) before applying an OTA. Just removing root, if you were rooted, won't work as the system is still modified.

What phone exactly are you using is another question? Is it the XT926, XT925, RAZR M, etc. We need more information than what you gave as it's too vague.

Thanks!

Latheman

Jun 22, 2013
Rapid City
www.Woodardwoodworks.com
I was doing a straight ota. I have Rooted xt926 I didn't even think about root being a problem for an ota it is on our Samsung tabs but I didn't think of it for a moto device. I would like to keep all my data (no resets if possible) can a moto update be done from a desktop like Samsung does with Kies?

iBolski

I was doing a straight ota. I have Rooted xt926 I didn't even think about root being a problem for an ota it is on our Samsung tabs but I didn't think of it for a moto device. I would like to keep all my data (no resets if possible) can a moto update be done from a desktop like Samsung does with Kies?

You're best bet is to go use SamuriHL's tools. Follow his directions and use the Universal script. It will keep your data.

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/28162-house-of-moto-23/

Reactions: Latheman

s_u_n

Nov 6, 2012
Pune
Just a comment to add and perhaps confuse others.
I have used House of Moto to upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.4.2 last month.
My bootloader was unlocked previously and the phone was rooted as well.
After upgrading to 4.4.2, the bootloader warning disappeared and never came back. Samurai indicated that Motorola has changed something and so the warning no longer appears. I actually like this change. :)

The root - well I am not sure if it is still there, but as long as bootloader is unlocked I have control.

iBolski

Just a comment to add and perhaps confuse others.
I have used House of Moto to upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.4.2 last month.
My bootloader was unlocked previously and the phone was rooted as well.
After upgrading to 4.4.2, the bootloader warning disappeared and never came back. Samurai indicated that Motorola has changed something and so the warning no longer appears. I actually like this change. :)

The root - well I am not sure if it is still there, but as long as bootloader is unlocked I have control.

Oh, they changed a lot more than just the logo for unlocked phones. They actually put the bootloader unlock exploit that Dan found last year back in the 4.4.2 upgrade. So, there has been a flurry of activity from Sam trying to get everyone with locked bootloaders to unlock, because this is a gift from the Moto Gods, albeit a gift they didn't mean to give! :D

iBolski

I pulled up fast boot and it says Unlocked stats code 3 is this where I want to be to install a custom rom and recovery?

Yup! :good:

You are unlocked and free. Have at it, but there aren't any custom ROMs other than the nightlies for CM11 that I know of. But, at least you don't have to have an exploit to root anymore. Just sideload it via ADB and you're good to go from here until the end of life for your phone.

Welcome to the unlocked world. You won't regret it. :highfive:

Top Liked Posts