Rumor has it...

Search This thread
The possibility of a Samsung / Google Wear watch may be announced during Google I/O. How does this make you feel about your gear? GO!

§
http://android-gz.com

I'm hoping that if Samsung does release an Android Wear watch, that it is of similar hardware as our Gear 2s and some dev smarter than me can port the OS to ours. Otherwise, I may be upset since I just bought mine 2 weeks ago. That is of course depending on the features of the rumored watch.

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
I'm selling my gear 2 for a gear wear (or any good android wear watch) the second it hits the market. Im not ready to live thru tizens maturity for wearables. Until now i've been disappointed with the app selection and notifications. Any android app is a few lines of code away from being an android wearable app and that means a lot to an ecosystem that has a lot of added value with already a huge community behind it

flipq88

Aug 11, 2011
More than likely I'll sell the gear and get one of these android wear watches. I don't know yet, we'll see next week.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
The Neo wasn't that expensive after the recent sales so even if I ditch for AW, it won't be too much of a loss. I knew Android Wear was coming, yet kept the Neo as I'm hoping the awesome potential of the hardware can be unlocked eventually. I don't get the comments like "I'll be pissed, because I just got my Gear" - AW was announced awhile ago with expectation that devices will be dropping this summer - it shouldn't be a surprise to you guys.

AW will most likely have more Dev support and more apps. The only thing is I don't need -all- the apps, just specific ones to get what usage out of a smartwatch I want.

I'm encouraged as some of the stuff I have been requesting from Devs are being fulfilled. Maybe we get lucky and AW can get ported to this hardware (doubtful). If AW can't get ported to Neo, I hope Samsung announces an AW unit that has the IR blaster like the Neo- I'm open to trading to that. To my knowledge no other AW announced has the IR blaster, and I kind of want that.

Reactions: Qwallace70129

nojive

Dec 29, 2007
It will be interesting to see what is announced. Just got my Gear 2 last week, and I love it, so I'm not looking to buy anything new anytime soon.

IP IHI II IL

Sep 16, 2010
The Neo wasn't that expensive after the recent sales so even if I ditch for AW, it won't be too much of a loss. I knew Android Wear was coming, yet kept the Neo as I'm hoping the awesome potential of the hardware can be unlocked eventually. I don't get the comments like "I'll be pissed, because I just got my Gear" - AW was announced awhile ago with expectation that devices will be dropping this summer - it shouldn't be a surprise to you guys.

AW will most likely have more Dev support and more apps. The only thing is I don't need -all- the apps, just specific ones to get what usage out of a smartwatch I want.

I'm encouraged as some of the stuff I have been requesting from Devs are being fulfilled. Maybe we get lucky and AW can get ported to this hardware (doubtful). If AW can't get ported to Neo, I hope Samsung announces an AW unit that has the IR blaster like the Neo- I'm open to trading to that. To my knowledge no other AW announced has the IR blaster, and I kind of want that.

Turn your flame blower off. Everyone here knows about Wear, and knows what they currently have, as well as what may be to come. The question was not to agitate, but to gain perspective...

§

mitch27

Aug 23, 2008
Best move for Samsung at this point it to ditch Tizen and work on converting the Galaxy Gear watches to Android Wear. This isn't a war they can win. This is very reminiscent to the HP Touchpad problem.

HP faced STRONG criticism when the Touch Pad failed similarly. HP didn't support a HP-OS conversion to Android and Cyanogen had to come to the rescue.

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
Turn your flame blower off. Everyone here knows about Wear, and knows what they currently have, as well as what may be to come. The question was not to agitate, but to gain perspective...

§

Who's flaming? I was just offering my opinion which I thought you were asking for input. Since you're so sensitive about it I won't bother continuing then, what was the point at all? sheesh.

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
Best move for Samsung at this point it to ditch Tizen and work on converting the Galaxy Gear watches to Android Wear. This isn't a war they can win. This is very reminiscent to the HP Touchpad problem.

HP faced STRONG criticism when the Touch Pad failed similarly. HP didn't support a HP-OS conversion to Android and Cyanogen had to come to the rescue.

There is one major difference, Tizen has a lot of MAJOR players involved that will do everything in their power to develop it and make it a major android contender. HP was a lone player with their own OS in a world where there already was a lot of other mature OSs. The wearables is the only chance Tizen has to florish because there is nobody in that market yet, if it does it will be on your wrist. I like android wear much more but if done right, Tizen can be something worth it

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Last edited:

ampm325

Nov 16, 2011
Dallas
Maybe Samsung should find a developer that can TIZEN a sim card, gps, and allow streaming music and video on the watch.

IP IHI II IL

Sep 16, 2010

What if... IF... Samsung is announcing they're ditching Tizen for Google Wear altogether?! How awesome would THAT be?!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mitch27

Aug 23, 2008
What if... IF... Samsung is announcing they're ditching Tizen for Google Wear altogether?! How awesome would THAT be?!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

It would be awesome. Samsung has already stated that they are releasing a wear smartwatch, which is most likely a test to see what their customers will go for. Judging by the huge gaping hole in the Tizen app store, I don't blame them. By formally releasing their own Google Wear device, it looks like they have already made their decision as to the future of Tizen on smart watches. At least for now.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/wearables/n...ar-smartwatch-at-google-io-2014-report-546198

jyan_osu

Jan 13, 2007
So now that samsung gear live has been announced and is available for order today can we get that os on our neos? :)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

obsydian

May 15, 2007
London
It seems unclear what the Samsung strategy is, as the new device has no camera or home button.

It sounded like Samsung siding with Google and maybe ditching Tizen.

Hopefully it will be a mix and Gear 2 & Neo users get Google Wear, but knowing Samsung after barely 3 months they may just ditch them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

jscsltd

Aug 1, 2005
melton mowbray
So now that samsung gear live has been announced and is available for order today can we get that os on our neos? :)

I agree, I expect our Gear watches have very similar hardware to the new Samsung Android Wear device and just maybe now that we have root on this device, we could flash an Android Wear ROM onto them?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: JimSmith94

fogame

I agree, I expect our Gear watches have very similar hardware to the new Samsung Android Wear device and just maybe now that we have root on this device, we could flash an Android Wear ROM onto them?

In theory yes. I know that me and some other developers are working on creating custom roms and recovery for the gear 2/neo. Its just a matter of time before we can access the recovery. Once that is done we should be able to flash Android Wear on to them. The Live and Neo are almost the same compared to specs. The Gear 2, however, has a camera function that isn't present in Live. Also the IR function would be gone as well.

jscsltd

Aug 1, 2005
melton mowbray
In theory yes. I know that me and some other developers are working on creating custom roms and recovery for the gear 2/neo. Its just a matter of time before we can access the recovery. Once that is done we should be able to flash Android Wear on to them. The Live and Neo are almost the same compared to specs. The Gear 2, however, has a camera function that isn't present in Live. Also the IR function would be gone as well.

That's excellent news and I'd be very interested in giving this a go as it's looking like Tizen is 'dead in cradle'!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

An iPhone?, how dare you! Lol
    Is an iPhone a particularly good looking phone..?

Anyway, yes the round screen could be good or bad, won't know till we try it.

As far as the speaker goes, I have only had mine on vibrate since I got it. You can't always hear your cell phone or watch, but you can always feel the watch vibrate...

I have yet to take or make a call on the watch, except to show people, but I agree that it is cool if not very useful...
    -Kinda like an iPhone!

Yeah, when I first got it, I wasn't expecting to use the speakerphone at all, but it just became so handy. My thing is more about using the voice commands on the watch. I kinda got used to the watch giving voice confirmations for stuff so I could just speak commands and have it do stuff without looking at the screen. With Android Wear, you don't get that, so even with Google Now, you still need to look at the screen to make sure it's doing what you want or not doing something you don't. On the Gear 2, I kind of got used to just talking to the watch for alarms, reminders, notes, sending text messages and having it talk back - you can't get that without a speaker on the watch.