[Q] Unsolvable ADB error Windows 7

Search This thread

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I have looked everywhere, spent countless hours and days trying to find a PERMANENT solution for this. Only solution i could find was to use TaskManager and kill adb process. Not a permanent solution. As the same error will come back.

This is the error. Nothing causes it, just happens randomly with any device im using.

Code:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error: cannot connect to daemon

Thanks guys. A permanent solution would be awesome. I'm tired of this..

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
This is the error. Nothing causes it, just happens randomly with any device im using.
Code:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error: cannot connect to daemon
A permanent solution would be awesome. I'm tired of this..

First, the obvious: have you tried different USB cables and different USB ports on your machine? (I'll assume the answer is "yes").

Now, the more likely: get a copy of USBDeview and use it to remove all copies of your ADB USB drivers. In case you're not familiar with it, this util will list every USB driver installed on your machine and (among other things) will let you delete the ones you don't want. If you've been using your current setup for a while, you'll be appalled at the cruft that's built up. Be aware that there are separate 32 and 64-bit versions, so get the one appropriate for your system.

The ADB driver(s) may be identified as "Android ADB Interface" or any of several other names. You'll see entries for various USB Vendor and Product IDs, with at least one entry for each Android device you've connected. The one thing all of the relevant entries will have in common are the values in the columns labeled USB Class, USB Subclass, and USB Protocol. Those values are ff, 42, and 01, respectively.

Sort the list by Class to group them, then uninstall all of them. When you're done, reboot. You may want to reopen the util to confirm they're really gone. Finally, attach each device in turn and let the New Hardware Wizard walk you through reinstalling the driver (which means, of course, that you'll want to have your driver packages ready before you go deleting anything).

Note: there's really only one driver (i.e. binary) for all devices. The difference in the packages is their .INF files, each of which usually only identifies Vendor and Product IDs for a single manufacturer. If you know those values for each device, you can edit the .INF file for one and add all your devices to make a one-size-fits all package (be sure to add each entry under both the 32-bit and 64-bit headings in the file). You'll still have to reinstall for each device but you won't need multiple packages to do it.

Last edited:

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
adb kill-server

adb start-server

Should get you back on track.

No.. you're wrong.

First, the obvious: have you tried different USB cables and different USB ports on your machine? (I'll assume the answer is "yes").

Now, the more likely: get a copy of USBDeview and use it to remove all copies of your ADB USB drivers. In case you're not familiar with it, this util will list every USB driver installed on your machine and (among other things) will let you delete the ones you don't want. If you've been using your current setup for a while, you'll be appalled at the cruft that's built up. Be aware that there are separate 32 and 64-bit versions, so get the one appropriate for your system.

The ADB driver(s) may be identified as "Android ADB Interface" or any of several other names. You'll see entries for various USB Vendor and Product IDs, with at least one entry for each Android device you've connected. The one thing all of the relevant entries will have in common are the values in the columns labeled USB Class, USB Subclass, and USB Protocol. Those values are ff, 42, and 01, respectively.

Sort the list by Class to group them, then uninstall all of them. When you're done, reboot. You may want to reopen the util to confirm they're really gone. Finally, attach each device in turn and let the New Hardware Wizard walk you through reinstalling the driver (which means, of course, that you'll want to have your driver packages ready before you go deleting anything).

Note: there's really only one driver (i.e. binary) for all devices. The difference in the packages is their .INF files, each of which usually only identifies Vendor and Product IDs for a single manufacturer. If you know those values for each device, you can edit the .INF file for one and add all your devices to make a one-size-fits all package (be sure to add each entry under both the 32-bit and 64-bit headings in the file). You'll still have to reinstall for each device but you won't need multiple packages to do it.

I thank you a million! This looks promising! I did notice like 20 different adb devices installed. So far it's been good hopefully it stays that way!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Not only that, but it's not even a temp solution. How can I or anyone kill a server you can't connect to? ;)

Oh. I see you don't understand the commands. You said that you had to continue to go to the Task Manager to kill the process and then you would restart it. That's what those commands do, without taking that step. I've solved this issue before with doing that, though it's never been an ongoing thing, so haven't had to deal with making it permanent. Guess we have a different idea of what wrong is...

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Oh. I see you don't understand the commands. You said that you had to continue to go to the Task Manager to kill the process and then you would restart it. That's what those commands do, without taking that step. I've solved this issue before with doing that, though it's never been an ongoing thing, so haven't had to deal with making it permanent. Guess we have a different idea of what wrong is...

What I'm saying is, running adb kill server wouldn't do anything because it can't connect to the adb server daemon due to that error I was receiving. After running adb kill server then running adb start server I would still get that same exact error. Which makes sense because it can't connect to the server so therefore is unable to kill it making task manager the only way of killing the server.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
What I'm saying is, running adb kill server wouldn't do anything because it can't connect to the adb server daemon due to that error I was receiving. After running adb kill server then running adb start server I would still get that same exact error. Which makes sense because it can't connect to the server so therefore is unable to kill it making task manager the only way of killing the server.

What I'm saying is that command is specifically for that issue, because the adb server is not starting correctly because it's kind of stuck. If the server wasn't on at all, it wouldn't be listed in the Task Manager, right? ;) I've had this issue multiple times before on various devices, and that's what got it to come back on and connect again. I literally do this stuff for a living and have modded 100s of devices. Weird things pop up like this all the time and it's not always the same solution for everyone or every device.

start-server Checks whether the adb server process is running and starts it, if not.
kill-server Terminates the adb server process (which the Task Manager also does, but this is the command for it)

So yea, my solution didn't work for you, but it is a solution for this issue. Been there. Done that. Probably will have to do it again some day.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
What I'm saying is that command is specifically for that issue, because the adb server is not starting correctly because it's kind of stuck. If the server wasn't on at all, it wouldn't be listed in the Task Manager, right? ;) I've had this issue multiple times before on various devices, and that's what got it to come back on and connect again. I literally do this stuff for a living and have modded 100s of devices. Weird things pop up like this all the time and it's not always the same solution for everyone or every device.

start-server Checks whether the adb server process is running and starts it, if not.
kill-server Terminates the adb server process (which the Task Manager also does, but this is the command for it)

So yea, my solution didn't work for you, but it is a solution for this issue. Been there. Done that. Probably will have to do it again some day.

I understand that this solution may work for a temporary issue. I myself us it all the time when I can't see a device or something. But what im trying to say is the error says "server didn't ACK" in my searching of this error, ACK means acknowledge. Therefore communication with the server fails. So sending the server a kill command fails as well. See what i mean?

Lets just hope the other guys method works. Was surprised to see about 12 or so ADB devices when i only have 3 :)