Can I Prevent Bloatware From Installing?

Search This thread

snurfle

Jun 9, 2014
I've spent a month with KK on 2 phones, and ultimately contacted Verizon after my work phone left me unable to email, and then died only 3 hours after unplugging the charger.

I went through the exercise of doing a factory reset (which did not fix any of the issues, surprise surprise) and Verizon agreed to send me a replacement phone.

But what I did notice is this:
On both phones, after doing a factory reset, most of the bloatware was *not* on the phone until I gave it my gmail address... then they began downloading (isis, nfl, allshare, print services, audible, and on and on.)
I re-reset, rebooted, and did NOT give my gmail (or any other email) and the downloads did not start. After a few hours, I gave it my gmail, and the downloads started. And I would like to point out... these downloads are NOT restoring or synching any of my play store apps, these are all of the junk that were pre-installed when I got the phones (for example - nfl live, or nfl direct, or whatever it is called is NOT on the phone until after it is downloaded and installed automatically.)

So today I have a new Galaxy S4 with JellyBean 4.3 (I545VRUEMK2)

After activating it, it started downloading a "software update", KK I presume.

I didn't let it finish; I restarted the phone and re-factory reset it, and immediately turned off wifi.

I've not given it my gmail, but had to give it my work email (exchange).

So far, no updates... It is just a vanilla system with nothing more than my work email (which is working fine.)

Is there any way that I can, at this point, prevent it updating or installing all of the Verizon garbage?

I know the knee-jerk answer will be "root it" but I want to avoid that if possible... this is my employer's phone, and I don't want that to be an issue if there are any problems with the phone.

snurfle

Jun 9, 2014
If it's owned by your employer why do you care about bloatware?

sent by bajarom v2.2 kitkat

Multiple reasons... I would like to be able to have a phone that works properly, without a lot of garbage getting in the way.
Secondly, because my personal phone is being replaced as well, and I would like to keep it running as smooth as possible as well.

jmgib

Jun 24, 2010
Covington
You can disable most of the apps under settings. And they are already present on the phone, they are simply being upgraded to newer versions when you enter your Google account information.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ghost0001

Dec 28, 2010
Killeen
Multiple reasons... I would like to be able to have a phone that works properly, without a lot of garbage getting in the way.
Secondly, because my personal phone is being replaced as well, and I would like to keep it running as smooth as possible as well.

(About your personal phone)
Since you are still running JB you should be able to root. Once rooted, you can simply uninstall the bloatware with SDX software romoval app. It is NOT in the google play market, but if you google it you should be able to find it. What I do is "freeze" the app with Titanium Backup Pro. Once frozen, the apps do not load nor update. Freezing gives you the ability to update the phone to the new FW when the time comes. Just unfreeze all apps, update, then freeze them again. Downside is that NC5 still has NO native root. So, you could just keep it JB instead of upgrading to KK and losing root. There are other options out there for upgrading to 4.4.2 and keeping root, but if you are looking for simplicity, just keep it JB. Lastly, VooDoo OTA root keeper works MOST of the time. However, with 4.4.3, you still lose root.

I am sure there is a list of apps somewhere in the S4 forums for you so you know what to freeze. From my experience, I froze all verizion apps minus "My Verizion Mobile", all bloatware like Isis, NFL, IMDB, ect., and even SDM(the app that controls OTA updates). Hope this helps.