[ROM][All-F2FS] SlimKat with All-F2FS support [02/05/14]

Search This thread

js45721

Mar 5, 2010
So and where is the answer to my update question now? There is no answer for me in the question section.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

brattak

Mar 12, 2012
Thanks for your work i flash recovery and rom is god and work very well

Inviato dal mio D5803 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

ncfoster

Jun 8, 2013
Nexus 7
HTC Rezound
I've tried multiple kernels and ROMs going back to as far as CM 10.2.
I no longer have lag when hitting the power button while the tablet screen is off!
I no longer have to wait 5-10 seconds for an app to open!
This is what worked for me.

First, Fix the hardware!:
After following this thread (not breaking contacts, but just small squares of electrical tape) and using the following software, I find the Nexus 7 to be very snappy and usable.

Second, Flash and Install!:
Recovery: TWRP (newest stable) format /system, /data, /cache as F2FS prior to flashing ROM to avoid error while flashing
ROM: Newest in this thread!
Kernel: Bricked-Kernel (newest stable or as of today, recommended by this thread)
GApps: Start with Open Gapps for 4.4 Pico and install what you need after booting into ROM
KControl app (Play Store) for Overclocking/Undervolting CPU and disabling NVIDIA Prism.
Use Antutu and Stability Test for verifying overclock/undervolt; don't set settings upon boot until you are positive tablet is stable
I ended up with 1500 Mhz (up from 1300) and -50 mV. Back of device is cool to the touch with regular use.

There were a number of recommendations for Xenon HD (Lollipop), but it slowed down after loading it up with apps. This combination did not.
This was also the fastest combo for running games such as Hearthstone which is fully playable using this combo (some minor lag).
Stick with the stock SlimKat launcher. Something like Google Now Launcher is too fat.

I have been on the last SlimKat for quite a while. I followed most of your recommendations, and I do like most of the results. However, I am still experiencing very spotty charging. Sometimes, it will charge fine. Other times, it will be plugged-in for hours/days, and does not charge at all. I have tried different chargers, cables, etc., and it does not seem to be consistent. Do you (or anyone else) have any advice for this? Does the hardware fix that helps the touchscreen have anything to do with charging? I am getting really tired of this problem. I've been ready to recycle this thing several times. Just when I think it is hopeless, it will charge, but I want it to charge reliably. Thanks.

rootMBX

Feb 9, 2009
I have been on the last SlimKat for quite a while. I followed most of your recommendations, and I do like most of the results. However, I am still experiencing very spotty charging. Sometimes, it will charge fine. Other times, it will be plugged-in for hours/days, and does not charge at all. I have tried different chargers, cables, etc., and it does not seem to be consistent. Do you (or anyone else) have any advice for this? Does the hardware fix that helps the touchscreen have anything to do with charging? I am getting really tired of this problem. I've been ready to recycle this thing several times. Just when I think it is hopeless, it will charge, but I want it to charge reliably. Thanks.

I haven't had that issue and I don't think the hardware fix I mentioned will do anything about it. Sounds like your charging port may be damaged.

Colomonster

Aug 1, 2010
Big Apple Circus
Sorry for random chime, but touchscreen hardware fix did affect charging for me, it's been a while since I ran my DNA but I know it helps with charging issue, just can't remember if it fixed it or hindered it. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

ncfoster

Jun 8, 2013
Nexus 7
HTC Rezound
I take that partially back.. I did have problems when I let it drain completely. Take a look at this.

Make sure you're using the stock charger or an alternative high quality one. I usually go Monoprice for cables, but Anker and Aukey sell some good value packs on Amazon too.

It is not completely dead, no. I sometimes run it down to around 8%, etc. So, I think it is a different problem. I am using decent chargers, and sometimes they work perfectly. I will try that method just to see if it helps, but I suspect it is something different. Thanks.

scotyard

Sep 13, 2012
I used Slim_mini_gapps.4.4.4.build.8.x-385 and ot's playstore has a wonderful black theme to it but when google playstore updates itself, I get the official blindingly bright play store. Is there a way to stop it from updating or can I get slimkat's latest black themed playstore?

Jun 15, 2008
Dallas, TX
Hi I just flashed this on my old Nexus 7, and it's really fast. However there's always a notification to update on android and slimkat. can i update this to the slimkat 4.4.4 or it will not work?

no, it won't work. you need an F2FS rom, and iirc the updates through the notification are based on the original branch of the code (which is not f2fs)

i suggest simply removing the nag message by disabling it in settings -> applications and finding the update software. that's what I did... unfortunately don't remember what the name of the app was but it should be straightforward.

Reactions: scrack26

DroidArt

Jan 26, 2012
Montreal
Fix

I have this, how did you actually fix it?

I am going to try and flash back to stock, and start again. Nothing else seems to work, just stuck in the google loop.

Hello Palitu.

Oh man, that was way back!

If my memory serves me right, after I could fix it, I realized I should have converted the user partition BEFORE rebooting, by manually returning to the recovery and converting the user partition. But I could be wrong.

The game saver was to start from scratch (the original stock ROM at purchase - not an updated one too) with the tool kit here.

Now the tool kit updated and should not have changed much, but I remember back then that it was the only fix for me.

If you take the time to really study the tool it carefully, it is quite a breeze.

Let me know. Cheers! :victory:

Palitu

Mar 13, 2008
Hello Palitu.

Oh man, that was way back!

If my memory serves me right, after I could fix it, I realized I should have converted the user partition BEFORE rebooting, by manually returning to the recovery and converting the user partition. But I could be wrong.

The game saver was to start from scratch (the original stock ROM at purchase - not an updated one too) with the tool kit here.

Now the tool kit updated and should not have changed much, but I remember back then that it was the only fix for me.

If you take the time to really study the tool it carefully, it is quite a breeze.

Let me know. Cheers! :victory:
Cheers!

I was sturggling to get the ADB/fastboot connection. turns out if you get into fastboot THEN plug in USB, it will actually connect properly.

that was my big issue, the lack of ADB/fastboot connection. I had just pulled out my horrible N7 (so SLOW!) as i have a little home automation project, and i wanted it as a controller, and so fat N2NS and slimkat seems to make it actually useable!

thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimKat with "All-F2FS" support

I have modified SlimKat to work with F2FS partitions. All credits for the ROM to SlimKat guys.
    This is for "All-F2FS" that mean that /system, /cache and /data are formatted with F2FS.
    This is needed to switch to "All-F2FS".
    ROM contains my Kernel with "All-F2FS" support and other goodies.

Ported sl[aou]b from Linux 3.4
    Ported timer and workqueue from Linux 3.4
    Ported random from Linux 3.13-rc4
    Ported rwsem from Linux 3.11
    Kernel NEON Mode
    Etc..Etc..
    Added GPU OC (Franco way..)
    Added Toggle for FSYNC
    Revert CPU OC things (We don't need it and it was a bit dirty..)

One of the goodies of my kernel is that i was able to reclaim more 18MB of RAM for Android. As you can see in Settings we are now at 993MB.
    MultiROM isn't supported as now because i need to patch it to work with "new" ram.

What is F2FS?

F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System) is a flash file system created by Kim Jaegeuk at Samsung for the Linux operating system kernel. The motive for F2FS was to build a file system that from the start takes into account the characteristics of NAND flash memory-based storage devices (such as solid-state disks, eMMC, and SD cards), which are widely used in computer systems ranging from mobile devices to servers.

banner.png

Download:
    • SlimKat 4.8: Here (New Kernel2)
    • SlimKat 4.6: Here (New Kernel)
    • SlimKat 4.4: Here
    • SlimKat 4.2: Here
    • SlimKat 4: Here
    • SlimKat 3.10: Here
    • SlimKat 3.8: Here
    • SlimKat 3.6: Here

You need a recovery with "All-F2FS" support. So..
    To use this ROM read the instructions Here!

If you have problem with Xposed installation:
    You can download the v2.5 beta 2 from here. After installing, click on Setting and then select "Install from Recovery" either the 2nd or 3rd choice.

Hope i dind't any errors writing this down. I personally tested this procedure.
    Enjoy. :D

1zd0qv6.png
    30ww5c0.png
    When is v. 3836 being released? as it is on the weekly builds on slimrom site dated 21 / 04 / 14, I realise you will have other things to do, just curious as to whether there is a reason you haven't released it yet?

There is one reason. I worked hard on a new kernel that i wanted to include with new version. So i had to make sure that it works well at least for me. :D Sorry for the delay.

Slim-grouper-4.4.2.build.4.6-WEEKLY-3836-F2FS.zip

I'm just writing the link for the new release here. If you guys tell me that all work good i will push it to the first post.

New kernel contains a lot of unique optimizations for our N7 made by me. I tested it for days and seems to work right. I even did some benchs (usually i don't them..) and seems that with Antutu we are around 15000 points..(Obviously without overclock..). There is nothing to configure or to tweak. It's to use as is out of the box.
    Updated first post with SlimKat 4.8.

Kernel updated.
    - USB OTG Fixed
    - Optimizations
    - Battery improved

:D
    Updated first post with SlimKat 4 Stable.

:)