Camera shutter sound

Search This thread

mobilemaduk

Apr 3, 2007
Sheffield
Hi everyone.
I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to disable the camera shutter sound when the phone is not on silent

Thanks
Dave

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

tvbkennyzai

Jan 30, 2011
I can't seem to find the option to switch off the camera shutter sound too :(

The camera setting don't seem to be permanently set all the time, for eg. when I switch on auto contrast, it went back to "off" again when I use the camera for the second time.

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
I can't seem to find the option to switch off the camera shutter sound too :(

The camera setting don't seem to be permanently set all the time, for eg. when I switch on auto contrast, it went back to "off" again when I use the camera for the second time.

Shutter sound can't be disabled by default. If you are rooted, you can rename the ogg file and it won't play.

File is in /system/media/audio/ui

tmj12

Jun 5, 2010
It seems the SGS2 has gone backwards as even with SGS1, the camera sound can be turned off in the settings menu.

SBS_

Jul 13, 2007
Bergen
Don't take this as absolute truth, but I'm pretty sure it's the law in some countries that you're not able to turn off the camera-shutter sound.

poofish

May 6, 2011
London
I've managed to stop the shutter sound and the video recording start/stop sounds by renaming all the camera-related ogg files in the /system/media/audio/ui folder, but I can't seem to find the ogg file for the camera 'autofocus' sound.

Does anyone know which file this is?

LBTaylor1984

Aug 22, 2005
London
thx dude!

10char

Seems i don't have permission, dunno what i'm missing, do i need to have a rooted kernel? i rooted added busybox and superuser, and reloaded the original kernel

Last edited:

Menthix

Jan 21, 2008
menthix.net
I
I can't seem to find the ogg file for the camera 'autofocus' sound.

The focus sounds are stored inside the camera app itself and because of that a little harder to get rid of. Because it is app-related you could use another camera app and not have the problem... or you can try http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074628

Seems i don't have permission, dunno what i'm missing, do i need to have a rooted kernel? i rooted added busybox and superuser, and reloaded the original kernel
Root explorer (or other proper apps) should ask for root permission, allow that. After that you'll need to mount the system partition with write access. Root Explorer has a little button at the top for this, no experience with other apps.

Last edited:

rwc3b

Apr 6, 2011
NYC
I've managed to stop the shutter sound and the video recording start/stop sounds by renaming all the camera-related ogg files in the /system/media/audio/ui folder, but I can't seem to find the ogg file for the camera 'autofocus' sound.

how did you do this? i tried but it says it's "read-only"

EDIT:
nevermind, duh

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Yes the autofocus is in camera apk. Don't just delete it though as it needs code edits

maranello69

Apr 1, 2011
EU
[Q]How to change the camera shutter sound?

no need for me to open a new topic, since i got a similar question, how can we change that horrible camera shutter sound?

the default sound from the sgs1 is what I'm looking for, i found out that this specific sound is played by the system in sgs2 when you take a screenshot (by pressing Home + Power buttons), but i can't figure out where to find it and how can i set it as the default shutter sound for the camera app

so, i don't want to disable the sound, i already found some topics explain that, i just want to replace it

any help is appreciated :)

Pixiewave

Jan 27, 2008
Yes the autofocus is in camera apk. Don't just delete it though as it needs code edits
OK found it, but how can i replace the files with an silent one.
I cannot cut or rename those original .ogg files, probably because it is situated in the apk file.
what to do?
also the solution for 'maranello69': copy the beloved shutter1.ogg file from the sgs and just replace it in your sgs2.

Last edited:

ATI-AMD

May 28, 2011
Just put the phone in vibrating mode and the sound is gone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Sleepycat3

May 8, 2011
The latest firmware (say KF3 for XEU phones) turn off camera sounds when the phone is set to vibrate or silent.

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
The latest firmware (say KF3 for XEU phones) turn off camera sounds when the phone is set to vibrate or silent.

The 2.3.4 update also does this (its the first one I've bothered updating my SGSII for). I'll just set Tasker to set silent on when the camera is on, and revert when the camera app closes, job done.

Top Liked Posts