Phone won't turn on unless plugged in

Search This thread

iamnotafanofgravel

Oct 14, 2010
My fascinate will not turn on unless its plugged in. Once it turns on it runs fine. If you hold the power button to turn it on it will show the battery icon, but will not turn on. If you plug it in it will turn on and work fine. It also thinks its in usb debugging all the time. not plugged into anything and it thinks its debugging.

Very strange.

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
My friend had this issue.. It was hardware. Get a new one

sent from my frozen yogurt filled fascinate!

piizzadude

Feb 26, 2011
Harrisburg
My friend had this issue.. It was hardware. Get a new one

sent from my frozen yogurt filled fascinate!

My son's had the same thing, left the battery out for a day with the intention of returning it under warranty, put the battery back in and it fired right up without an issue, and havent had one yet.

Another question, are you using the stock battery or an after market job?

Without one of the tweaked kernels, the after market batteries wont work at all...

iamnotafanofgravel

Oct 14, 2010
I forgot about this thread. My problem is when the phone is turned off, it will not turn on unless its plugged in. you push the power button and you see a picture of an empty battery. You plug it in and wait for the battery to turn green, and the phone will fire right up. Tried a new battery, and nothing. I am going to call vzw and see what they say.

Terror_1

Aug 16, 2010
Clean the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Terror_1

Aug 16, 2010
Thanks Terror for the tip, but still having the same issue.

NP I had to do it all the time on my wifes alias.

Did you try a different battery?
At this point I would go stock and see if a verizon store will try another battery for you.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

drumtrucker

Jul 29, 2010
trucking USA (except CA)
My fascinate will not turn on unless its plugged in. Once it turns on it runs fine. If you hold the power button to turn it on it will show the battery icon, but will not turn on. If you plug it in it will turn on and work fine. It also thinks its in usb debugging all the time. not plugged into anything and it thinks its debugging.

Very strange.

exact same problem as quoted above.

xwhofarted

Apr 12, 2011
Some times the USB port gets gunk in it, try taking a piece of paper fold it a few times make sure the width is like half the size of the usb micro jack and slide it in to the usb port. fold it so it is snug but not tight move back and forth, do both top and bottom of the port but be careful on the thin side. basically your cleaning the contacts to remove and film.

Good Luck

If that still doesn't do the job chances are it's a hardware issue.

supervg3

Feb 8, 2011
Austin
I forgot about this thread. My problem is when the phone is turned off, it will not turn on unless its plugged in. you push the power button and you see a picture of an empty battery. You plug it in and wait for the battery to turn green, and the phone will fire right up. Tried a new battery, and nothing. I am going to call vzw and see what they say.

This is a very accurate description of the issue. I too am having the problem however it is on AT&T captivate. In my case, it only occurs when I am using a MIUI ROM. I have flashed multiple ROMS, both prior to and after discovering the problem and only have this issue when using MIUI ROM (Which is awesome in every other way). Two other things I would note. I have purchased another battery and it behaves identically, and MIUI drains batteries like a mother. Even swapping out a completely charged battery does not resolve the issue. Maybe someone brighter can explain how the phone "reads" the battery charge level while off.

Crowquill

Jan 26, 2012
I'm having the exact same issue with my Continuum. Thought maybe the USB port had issues, but it charges a battery just fine. It just won't acknowledge it's charged and turn on unless it's connected to a power source. Without a cable plugged in it just shows the big empty battery icon with a non-moving progress wheel on top of it for 3-4 seconds then screen goes black. With a cable plugged in it displays that, then changes to show the true charge of the battery at which time I can start up the phone. I restored my phone to factory defaults earlier today, but this problem persists.

Has anybody found any solution to this?

Jaxidian

Sep 19, 2010
Indianapolis
I also have this problem. I have discovered, however, that while I must plug the phone into a USB cable, that USB cable need not be plugged into a power source or anything at all. I can reliably (100% of the time) power up with a USB cable just laying in my drawer. I can also reliably (100% of the time) not power up without plugging into a USB cable.

In other news, I have also discovered that certain low-level actions tends to screw up lots of things. I can Odin just fine. I can flash ROMs, kernels, etc. just fine. However, I cannot restore a nandroid. Whenever I restore a nandroid, as best as I can tell, my partitioning gets all jacked up. When this happens, I can't do anything but boot into recovery (although once this happens, I can no longer flash ROMs) or Odin. Doing a full Odin flash restores functionality (in the sense that we all see where we need a USB cable to boot up), though. So ultimately, I think these phones have defective memory and that's what is ultimately causing this.

I bought this phone a couple days ago for $100 so I'm not out much (and can probably get most of that back even acknowledging the issues). Sure would have been nice for that person to have told me there were these issues. But oh well. C'est la vie!

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

BTW, curious, what radio are you all using? I have only used EH03. I haven't yet tried EC09...