Search This thread

suku_patel_22

Jun 22, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a
Hi,
I rooted my phone after a downgrade recently. I have a few questions

1) What are the advantages of upgrading the hboot from 0.98.2000(unlocked via revolutionary) to 2.00.2002 using this?

2) What are the advantages of upgrading to the latest radio? I am referring to this one? is it recommended to do so?

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
I would not recommend upgrading to a higher h-boot. It will just make life difficult, if anything. Also, I would only upgrade the radio if you're experiencing any signal issues our anything. Otherwise you won't notice a difference.

You might want to look into an eng-hboot though. It can be overwritten for warranty purposes

Sent from my Desire Saga using xda premium

Reactions: suku_patel_22

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
Well if something were to go wrong with the phone, you could flash a RUU and it would overwrite the H-BOOT to a stock one. So it's good for warranty purposes. There are also other advantages to it, can't remember off the top of my head though.

It's not necessary to have, but I think it's nice to have. Don't forget though, there are risks with flashing a H-BOOT.

suku_patel_22

Jun 22, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a
Risks would mean bricking I suppose...

So from what I understand
1. Upgrading to stock hboot is never recommended
2. We could upgrade to eng hboot, which will have an advantage in case of warranty issues, but rings the risk of bricking.

My warranty expires in May this year.

I will look up for more advantages of an eng hboot.

Swyped from a primed Desire S

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
Risks would mean bricking I suppose...

So from what I understand
1. Upgrading to stock hboot is never recommended
2. We could upgrade to eng hboot, which will have an advantage in case of warranty issues, but rings the risk of bricking.

My warranty expires in May this year.

I will look up for more advantages of an eng hboot.

Yes, but many have done it, including myself. I wouldn't say upgrading h-boot is never recommended, just not on this device. With some devices there are advantages.
The process of flashing the H-BOOT is fairly simple and it's just your usual risks that you get when you're doing anything to your phone.
But like i said before, it's not absolutely necessary to have.

suku_patel_22

Jun 22, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a
Yes, but many have done it, including myself. I wouldn't say upgrading h-boot is never recommended, just not on this device. With some devices there are advantages.
The process of flashing the H-BOOT is fairly simple and it's just your usual risks that you get when you're doing anything to your phone.
But like i said before, it's not absolutely necessary to have.

Are you S-off via xtc clip or revolutionary?
it's there any differences to upgrading to eng hboot between both the processes?

Appreciate if you could guide me to some links you referred to..

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
I'm an AlphaRevX man. Old version of revolutionary. I used this guide to flash mine

You can use this method via adb:

1. Put the hboot.img you want to flash in the root of the sdcard.
2. In cmd run the following commands (after each command press enter):
adb devices
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
reboot bootloader

here is the eng h-boot

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1113820

Last edited:

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
The new hboot has a new partition system... But its no use to us, as our ROMs aren't taking advantage of it yet.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

suku_patel_22

Jun 22, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a
The new hboot has a new partition system... But its no use to us, as our ROMs aren't taking advantage of it yet.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

Oly, what h-boot are you on?
Whats ur current ROM?

After going through various threads I am thinking of flashing end-hboot version 0.98.2000 as the 2.0 version wastes 150 MB of space....

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
Whats ur current ROM?

After going through various threads I am thinking of flashing end-hboot version 0.98.2000 as the 2.0 version wastes 150 MB of space....

I would agree that is the better option.

even though I'm not on it myself. I have also been waiting for a ROM that takes advantage of new hboot partition layout for months now

Swyped firm ym Desire S unsig XAD Permuim

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Whats ur current ROM?

I'm on 6.98xxxxx revolutionary I think....

Mine came with 0.98.2000 and I unlocked with AlphaRevX.

I'm using Endymion.

@Ben, Maybe the ICS update will take advantage of the new partition?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

suku_patel_22

Jun 22, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a
I'm on 6.98xxxxx revolutionary I think....

Mine came with 0.98.2000 and I unlocked with AlphaRevX.

I'm using Endymion.

@Ben, Maybe the ICS update will take advantage of the new partition?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Well, can't find a working link for 2.0 so either it's 0.98 or stay on revolutionary 6.98.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would not recommend upgrading to a higher h-boot. It will just make life difficult, if anything. Also, I would only upgrade the radio if you're experiencing any signal issues our anything. Otherwise you won't notice a difference.

You might want to look into an eng-hboot though. It can be overwritten for warranty purposes

Well if something were to go wrong with the phone, you could flash a RUU and it would overwrite the H-BOOT to a stock one. So it's good for warranty purposes. There are also other advantages to it, can't remember off the top of my head though.

It's not necessary to have, but I think it's nice to have. Don't forget though, there are risks with flashing a H-BOOT.
    Whats ur current ROM?

I would agree that is the better option.

even though I'm not on it myself. I have also been waiting for a ROM that takes advantage of new hboot partition layout for months now

Swyped firm ym Desire S unsig XAD Permuim