Car mount for touchpad?

Search This thread

cpenticuff

Oct 26, 2009
USA
I have been looking at vehicle mounts for my new touchpad, but have come up a little short. From my experience, most (if not all) of the universal mounts are horrid. Knowing that many of the Ipad/Ipad cases are compatible, I wonder if any of Ipad vehicle mounts are compatible as well. Does anyone have experience with any of these?

cpenticuff

Oct 26, 2009
USA
Just out of curiosity... what would you be mounting the touchpad in your vehicle for?

My thought is to tether it to my galaxy s II for internet, and also share GPS. My receiver has an aux input, so all of the audio will run though my car's speakers. Hopefully I will be able to listen to internet radio/mp3, take and receive calls, navigate, etc. using the touchpad.

Zaphod-Beeblebrox

Dec 3, 2009
Virginia
Try this one:
http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/tabtiteipadmount/tabid/3617/Default.aspx
I'm using that holder (I used a different mounting system that I already had - just ordered the 'cradle').

As for Why: I've been doing 10" Tablet GPS with my Viewsonic G-Tablet and now my Touchpad for over a year.
You can pick up an inexpensive Bluetooth GPS (or use sharegps on your android phone). You can then either tether to cell for data (and use Google maps, waze, etc), or you can buy something like CoPilot and use offline nav.

If you do a lot of road time, it's a great tool.

cpenticuff

Oct 26, 2009
USA
I really want to be able to leave my TP in my aCase when in the vehicle, it is just too much of a hassle to take it out. For this reason, I've decided to fabricate my own vehicle mount. I have a few ideas, but I'm going to have to wait for some materials to arrive. When I get something together, I will definitely post some pics and/or video here.

On a side note: I am unable to connect my TP and Galaxy SII via bluetooth using CM7.1 Alpha 2.1, so there isn't much I can do yet. Here's to hoping that its fixed in the next release.

DNak206

Dec 3, 2008
I've also started to research car mounts pretty heavily for a couple of reasons. One, navigation and easy access for other tablet tasks I might need while on road (focused and within reach of me as driver), but also Two, for my kids to YouTube and NetFlix from the rear seats.

Due to these needs it seems the best options are either the floor (bolt that connects to seat) mounts seem to be the most effective or cup holders. Something tells me the cup holders won't hold it securely enough while in motion but also are typically geared for driver/passenger need and wouldn't be high enough to view from the rear.

This led me to believe the air vent mounts or suction mounts would be most ideal for all needs but again, tend to be less firm in motion and also don't allow for actual interaction with the tablet as pressing it will probably dislodge it.

VERY interested in staying up to date on this thread, anyone with any suggestions and/or recommendations, please chime in!

dung8604

Sep 8, 2010
I forgot where the video is, but someone was able to install a nook color directly into their car (honda accord I believe), as in the nooks screen was basically the head unit. Looked pretty slick, and might be an option. Other than that, I would trust very few car mounts with my tp.

leemoss84

Sep 14, 2009
Murfreesboro,TN
I bought one on ebay for 20 bucks. Came with a case,screen protecter and stylus. Cant wait to get it in

Sent from my pos motorola using xda premium