[GUIDE][HOWTO] Installing HTC drivers on Win8 for adb/fastboot

Search This thread
S

shadowboy23

have a problem. I can use adb to reboot my HTC into bootloader but when I type fastboot reboot nothing happens and I get a notification saying "USB device not recognised". I have followed the instructions from the OP but Device Manager says "The best driver for your device is already installed".

I'm just being difficult because I have USB 2.0 port at the back of my Win8 PC. But I just like to use the USB 3.0 at the front of the PC because it's easier to access. Any suggestions?

jokob.sk

Oct 13, 2011
I would suggest you to get a windows 7 pc, install minimal ADB and fastboot, the HTC drivers and you are done in a few minutes. I battled it by myself a day on windows 8 and finally borrowed a windows 7 pc and I was done in 20 minutes. I simply followed this site: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/

You can find everything I used in this zip (there are multiple different USB drivers available, try the ones from HTC at first, the one\den\USBDeview.exe tool is for uninstalling drivers):

http://www.mediafire.com/?dd99a5bq7kp4w88

As mentioned, I really wouldn't bother to use W8, it's a waste of time and energy IMO.

Hippie459MN

I installed the universal driver and I can say, it works perfect on Win8 and I have used it perfectly on about 6 different phones now with zero issues.

I will be updating this in the next day or so not that the universal driver pack has been released. No need for brand specific drivers anymore. :D

NoClemency

Sep 3, 2011
Fort Worth
have a problem. I can use adb to reboot my HTC into bootloader but when I type fastboot reboot nothing happens and I get a notification saying "USB device not recognised". I have followed the instructions from the OP but Device Manager says "The best driver for your device is already installed".

I'm just being difficult because I have USB 2.0 port at the back of my Win8 PC. But I just like to use the USB 3.0 at the front of the PC because it's easier to access. Any suggestions?

Same question. Is there a way to set this up with USB 3.0 or do we have to use USB 2.0? Thanks.

TechnoHacker

Dec 28, 2010
Yeah I tried with both a USB 2.0 and 3.0 Port. No luck with fastboot.

ADB works but fastboot doesn't, weird. Until we can find a solution, I'm just going to use another laptop for fastboot commands :(

tommy_riley

Apr 24, 2009
Tacoma, WA
OnePlus 10 Pro
Same question. Is there a way to set this up with USB 3.0 or do we have to use USB 2.0? Thanks.

My laptop only has USB 3.0 ports. I was having a HECK of a time trying to root my phone with Windows 8 (reboot into bootloader/recovery mode and device no longer recognized when connected to PC.)

I followed the procedures at the link below to replace my Windows 8 USB3.0 drivers with Intel USB3.0 drivers and my EVO 4G LTE started to be recognized in bootloader mode:

plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

(im junior so I cannot post links, add http above... ;) )

this solved a lot of problems for me :)

p.s. have not noticed any other issues with other things connected via USB with these Intel drivers either...been using them for months.

UPDATE - Intel now has official USB3.0 drivers for Windows 8/8.1 on their website, so you don't need to go through the long convoluted process at the link above to get the drivers installed - just head over to Intel's website and download the USB3.0 intel drivers (provided you have intel chipset) and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

dedon4christ5

Oct 3, 2013
Lagos
Thanks a whole Lot

Well, After doing a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro (64bit) I soon realized that HTC does not support Win8 drivers yet officially but after hours of scouring the internet, I finally got it to work and it works perfect!

I have found that the Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8 but the HTC Driver installer will not allow a windows 8 install for some reason. There are 2 ways to do it but this is the easiest as I have already pulled the full driver pack from a Windows 7 driver install to make it easier for everyone.

Instructions to installing HTC Drivers on Windows8 64Bit:
==========================================
1. Download the Windows7 (64 Bit) drivers here - http://d-h.st/OYI
2. Unzip to any location you want. Just remember where you put them.
3. Plug in your phone to your USB cable.
4. Open your Device Manager (Windows Key + X and select Device manager) and locate HTC under Other Devices and right click on it and select Update Driver Software
5. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
6. Click Browse and then select the folder you unzipped with the drivers in it then click next.
7. It should now install your drivers and then in your device manager it will now show up "My HTC" under Android USB Devices.

Hope that helps anyone having troubles getting USB/HTC drivers working on Windows 8 (64bit).

Now you can use adb and fastboot commands. I use Fastboot Commander and I can report it works perfect in Win8.

EDIT: Im sure this will work for any other HTC phone as well as I am pretty sure the drivers are pretty universal for HTC phones, just so happens I have an Evo3D and do not have any other HTC phones to test this on other then my Hero. I will test that as soon as I can to see if that works also and update my findings.

Enjoy!

Thanks a Bunch, It worked like Charm, i love my windows 8 wouldn't want to downgrade because drivers... Thanks again :)

jorgtw1

Nov 29, 2013
Still cant make it work

Well, After doing a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro (64bit) I soon realized that HTC does not support Win8 drivers yet officially but after hours of scouring the internet, I finally got it to work and it works perfect!

I have found that the Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8 but the HTC Driver installer will not allow a windows 8 install for some reason. There are 2 ways to do it but this is the easiest as I have already pulled the full driver pack from a Windows 7 driver install to make it easier for everyone.

4. Open your Device Manager (Windows Key + X and select Device manager) and locate HTC under Other Devices and right click on it and select Update Driver Software
6. Click Browse and then select the folder you unzipped with the drivers in it then click next.
7. It should now install your drivers and then in your device manager it will now show up "My HTC" under Android USB Devices.

Hope that helps anyone having troubles getting USB/HTC drivers working on Windows 8 (64bit).

Now you can use adb and fastboot commands. I use Fastboot Commander and I can report it works perfect in Win8.

EDIT: Im sure this will work for any other HTC phone as well as I am pretty sure the drivers are pretty universal for HTC phones, just so happens I have an Evo3D and do not have any other HTC phones to test this on other then my Hero. I will test that as soon as I can to see if that works also and update my findings.

Enjoy!

Have no idea what im doing wrong, i have a custom built pc with windows 8.1, and a htc one with a custom 4.4 kitkat rom :crying:

nothingten

Dec 5, 2011
Battle Creek
says device not found

ive tried to manually install the driver given but says it is not compatible and to make sure it is the 64 bit driver. im unable to flash custom recovery without my devices being found in cmd. I'm working on windows 7

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
Yeah I tried with both a USB 2.0 and 3.0 Port. No luck with fastboot.

ADB works but fastboot doesn't, weird. Until we can find a solution, I'm just going to use another laptop for fastboot commands :(

Exactly the same issue for me. My HTC cable is not recognized at all but when using a Samsung usb cable I get the same issue as you.

Enjoy!

Stuck at step one! the reason is because I've got three levels of warnings I mean Full screen red alerts here is what happens

Chrome message
Phishing attack ahead

Attackers on firstfirst.net might try to trick you to steal your information (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

Back to safetyDetails

Okay this was the Problem all day yesterday!

But today, I clicked the button that says Download Now, and I got a file to download. Whoa it worked today!

After manually putting my HTC Evo 3D (Sprint) (PG86100) into Bios Mode or (HBOOT) I see

Shooter XC SHIP S-ON RL
(HBOOT-1) 1.85.0000
eMMC-boot
May 17 2012, 15:06:44
HBOOT
<Vol UP> To previous item
<Vol DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item
o7ZLhjG.jpg

I got into this by Pressing Power and Volume Down letting go power holding down volume down until HBOOT Loads.
Now I select fastboot to enter into fastboot pressing "POWER" to confirm my selection it loads up to select bootloader,
I press Power to select bootloader and it does nothing, but waiting my system all the sudden detects a.
"USB device not recognized" PopUp
1Fs3q4L.png

I'm stumped here. what am I missing or doing wrong I just want to unlock this flipping htcdev.com Hboot crap Required
I've done the instructions. Could anyone be so kind to tell me what it is I'm doing wrong? I've installed the drivers I have
tried multiple drivers which None of them are working as a detected driver when in fastboot mode? HTCDEV had me
download a fastboot program that is saying pending. waiting for device in CMD prompt.
H:\HTC EVO 3D>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
< waiting for device >
^C
H:\HTC EVO 3D>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
< waiting for device >
^C
H:\HTC EVO 3D>

I dunno what to do. Hi5 thanks for reading anything would help!

Justin Cram
DyingJedi

Hippie459MN

I dont know what to tell you but in my experience fastboot on the Evo3D wont work right out the box and you need to flash an hboot that has the fastboot commands enabled. I had to anyways cause I couldnt use the fastboot commands but I never had hboot 1.40 from the start and was able to get s-off while remaining locked (big plus!!!). My computer did see the phone though when in fastboot mode so not sure what your issue is. Try a different USB cable maybe.

Anyways, the first post is pretty much old and outdated and a crude way of doing things now. Had you looked up a few posts (Post 32 - Click here) you will see that there is a simple installer now and has been for a while and it works great. I have used it on 3 computers without any issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Enjoy!

My laptop only has USB 3.0 ports. I was having a HECK of a time trying to root my phone with Windows 8 (reboot into bootloader/recovery mode and device no longer recognized when connected to PC.)

I followed the procedures at the link below to replace my Windows 8 USB3.0 drivers with Intel USB3.0 drivers and my EVO 4G LTE started to be recognized in bootloader mode:

plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

(im junior so I cannot post links, add http above... ;) )

this solved a lot of problems for me :)

p.s. have not noticed any other issues with other things connected via USB with these Intel drivers either...been using them for months.

UPDATE - Intel now has official USB3.0 drivers for Windows 8/8.1 on their website, so you don't need to go through the long convoluted process at the link above to get the drivers installed - just head over to Intel's website and download the USB3.0 intel drivers (provided you have intel chipset) and you should be good to go.
    Any adb and fastboot app should work. Worked fine for me on a really old version and also on the latest version.

Get it right from Google. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Just click on Downloads for other platforms and then download SDK Tools only.

Install that then launch the SDK Manager and select to download the Android Platform Tools and you will get the latest adb and fastboot

I would install to your c: drive and not in program files. Just a recommendation.
    So what is your having trouble with? This guide is kind of old news now. Just go get the universal driver pack and be done with it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-driver-for-windows-that-actually-works-on-8/
    Did you install them as part of HTC Sync, as a separate .exe file, or using the workaround in hippie459mn's guide?

ramjet73

As HTC Sync then uninstalled Sync.

私のエピック4Gのタッチから送られてきた。