Kit Kat KRT16S rolling out

Search This thread

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I just got an OTA.

http://android.clients.google.com/p...signed-nakasi-KRT16S-from-KRT16O.3aad414b.zip

Changelog: https://funkyandroid.com/aosp-KRT16O-KRT16S.html

My initial analysis.. It's tiny, 1.5 megs large. It's adding the recovery-from-boot.p stuff back, something I think disappeared in like 4.3 or so, so this will wipe out custom recovery when booted. Just remove the file from /system and re-flash recovery.

Bunch of files are patched, including build.prop for build info but it's still 4.4. No kernel change.

You'll have to re-root, as usual. This, with the recovery wipe, means you'll be using fastboot to flash recovery, re-flash supersu, etc.

AdAway is saying it can't remount /system. I didn't have this problem previously, so something might have changed here. I can do it manually in adb but AdAway keeps failing to do it itself. :(

Last edited:

CatThief

Apr 28, 2012
I just got the exact same thing! It looks like a patch to the original 4.4 OTA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: khaytsus

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Analyzing, although I'm not the best at this. Looks like it's enabling the recovery-from-boot.p again, something that seemed to disappear in like 4.3. Will over-write custom recovery, so we'll have to delete the file from /system and re-flash CWM/TWRP.

It's patching a large number of other files, but I couldn't guess what it's doing. I'm sure someone else could.

It flashed fast enough on my system, I'll update if it changed to 4.4.1 or anything like that.

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
My recovery is gone after that little update. I even tried reflashing it using fastboot and it was not installed after a reboot again so something is writing over TWRP on a reboot for me.

Last edited:

NVNexusUser

Aug 4, 2013
I also got the OTA update today. It blasted away TWRP and SU. Simple process to reload both.
BTW... the KRT16O update files no longer appear for download on the Nexus Factory Image page on Google, replaced with KRT16S.

JornadaW

Jun 15, 2013
ADAway has no problem for me. adaway 2.3 with superSU1.69. Both recovery image and supersu need to reinstall again.

Last edited:

CatThief

Apr 28, 2012
I flashed stock recovery and unrooted just to be safe, then used ADB sideload to apply the update. All went well. I'm letting it sit for a while before flashing TWRP and installing SuperSU.......

Sent from my rooted GSM Galaxy Nexus

riot1031

Jan 27, 2008
Finger Lakes
I flashed stock recovery and unrooted just to be safe, then used ADB sideload to apply the update. All went well. I'm letting it sit for a while before flashing TWRP and installing SuperSU.......

I did the same thing but I'm getting an error while installing the update, error 7 I think. Any ideas?

CatThief

Apr 28, 2012
The exact same thing happened to me when I tried to install the JWR66Y-to-KRT16O. I got lucky this time. Whew!

You could try downloading the full factory image from Google, extract the image files, and use fastboot flash. I would do that with boot.img and system.img

If that fails, you probably have something inside the system files that isn't stock.

Last edited:

just lou

Dec 8, 2010
New York
I let the OTA update on its own. I lost root and TWRP, but only took a few minutes to reroot and push TWRP back on. All is well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

JornadaW

Jun 15, 2013
I got ota update thru TWRP(ver 2.6.3.1). No problem except recovery will be replaced.
As usual have update process ongoing automaticly in TWRP, no need to do anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just got an OTA.

http://android.clients.google.com/p...signed-nakasi-KRT16S-from-KRT16O.3aad414b.zip

Changelog: https://funkyandroid.com/aosp-KRT16O-KRT16S.html

My initial analysis.. It's tiny, 1.5 megs large. It's adding the recovery-from-boot.p stuff back, something I think disappeared in like 4.3 or so, so this will wipe out custom recovery when booted. Just remove the file from /system and re-flash recovery.

Bunch of files are patched, including build.prop for build info but it's still 4.4. No kernel change.

You'll have to re-root, as usual. This, with the recovery wipe, means you'll be using fastboot to flash recovery, re-flash supersu, etc.

AdAway is saying it can't remount /system. I didn't have this problem previously, so something might have changed here. I can do it manually in adb but AdAway keeps failing to do it itself. :(
    Side loaded KitKat a few days ago. Working perfectly. Just turned the device on and there's as notification of an ota update. Let it get on with it and it's no different. Think I'm just surprised that it didn't figure out the device was already up to date.

If you sideloaded KitKat a few days ago it was KRT16O. Your version should have changed from KRT16O to KRT16S after installing this OTA.

Yes I have changed some system files...know of a way to flash this update without having to revert everything?

I ended up grabbing the full ROM from Google and then used fastboot to flash the boot.img and system.img. Worked great and I'm now on the latest version!
    but this way will wipe me won't it? Or can I do this dirty (without wiping anything) and retain my data and setup?

There's really nothing dirty about it if you are coming from KRT16O. You won't lose your data, apps, customizations, or anything like that as long as you don't flash userdata.img. Just flash boot.img and system.img, and don't wipe or reset anything. Dalvik cache will be rebuilt after you reboot. Letting it sit about 10 minutes after that never hurts either.

How to flash the ota via twrp?

Copy the zip from /cache to your sdcard. Boot recovery. Tap Install. Locate the zip. Done. Good luck.