Can't get CM11 nightly to install

Search This thread

easyrider77

Dec 3, 2009
I installed the nightly cm11 cm-11-20140104-NIGHTLY-d2spr.zip and gapps 4.4, and an ics modem, then rebooted, and all I get is a black screen after the Samsung logo. After that it doesn't go anywhere just stays that way. I can get into recovery again just fine.

Steps I have done are as follows:

Wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
wipe dalvik
Install rom (above zip file)
install pa gapps 4.4
install ICS modem SPH-L710_LI3_Modem

I have tried 3 different types of recovery, CWM touch, CWM normal, and Philz recovery, all three ways result in the same black screen after the Samsung logo.

Someone suggested I needed the MG2 bootloader so I used this rom on this thread http://androidforums.com/boost-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/758586-odin-backup-sph-l710_mg2.html and got MG2 successfully installed and up and operational.

I thought maybe it was because gapps was giving me issues so I decided to install cm11 without anything else to rule out anything else, and make sure it wasn't the rom itself.....same black screen after the Samsung logo.

I then suspected the recoveries so installed different ones to rule them out, did the steps over again with each recovery, and still same black screen after the Samsung logo.

I am in the process of downloading other KK roms, but until then, does anyone have any ideas what I may have missed or am doing wrong....if anything or perhaps what the cause f this can be and how to fix it?

I've done this what seems a million times on my S2 so it's not like I'm not familiar with the process and how to do things, I just can't seem to get it working on this phone.

Whiplashh

Jun 29, 2012
I installed the nightly cm11 cm-11-20140104-NIGHTLY-d2spr.zip and gapps 4.4, and an ics modem, then rebooted, and all I get is a black screen after the Samsung logo. After that it doesn't go anywhere just stays that way. I can get into recovery again just fine.

Steps I have done are as follows:

Wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
wipe dalvik
Install rom (above zip file)
install pa gapps 4.4
install ICS modem SPH-L710_LI3_Modem

I have tried 3 different types of recovery, CWM touch, CWM normal, and Philz recovery, all three ways result in the same black screen after the Samsung logo.

Someone suggested I needed the MG2 bootloader so I used this rom on this thread http://androidforums.com/boost-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/758586-odin-backup-sph-l710_mg2.html and got MG2 successfully installed and up and operational.

I thought maybe it was because gapps was giving me issues so I decided to install cm11 without anything else to rule out anything else, and make sure it wasn't the rom itself.....same black screen after the Samsung logo.

I then suspected the recoveries so installed different ones to rule them out, did the steps over again with each recovery, and still same black screen after the Samsung logo.

I am in the process of downloading other KK roms, but until then, does anyone have any ideas what I may have missed or am doing wrong....if anything or perhaps what the cause f this can be and how to fix it?

I've done this what seems a million times on my S2 so it's not like I'm not familiar with the process and how to do things, I just can't seem to get it working on this phone.

Unless it is a typo, this is the Sprint S3 forum. You are lucky you didn't mess up your phone using our modem. 2nd, if you are on an S3, you need the latest clockworkmod recovery and need to be on md4. I would not take update to MK3, but you can flash the modem and it will work much better. ?

-Whiplashh

Sent from a Premium Xda app using the Flo Nexus 7.

easyrider77

Dec 3, 2009
Unless it is a typo, this is the Sprint S3 forum. You are lucky you didn't mess up your phone using our modem. 2nd, if you are on an S3, you need the latest clockworkmod recovery and need to be on md4. I would not take update to MK3, but you can flash the modem and it will work much better. ��

-Whiplashh

Sent from a Premium Xda app using the Flo Nexus 7.

Kinda confused at your post....I realize it's a s3 forums, that's why I posted here.....what typo?
I mentioned about the s2, that WAS what I had before, and I was comparing it with the s3 as far as install goes, if that's what yer referring to.

Perhaps I overlooked my post but I'm not seeing where I referred to anything but the s3, other than me saying about the s2 line.

If your referring to the fact it's a boost mobile s3, they are the same phones, one is branded boost one is branded sprint, both have the same internals and hardware, and both use the same name SPH-L710. You can also use sprint roms/modems/kernels on a boost s3....is this what yer wondering about?

Am I missing something??

As for the cwm, yes I have tried 4 different recoveries. I will cut and paste my steps and stuff from another forums so as to save typing.....here it is:

Symptoms:
When I install a rom via philz, cwm touch, or cwm normal, after install and reboot I get to the samsung logo, and then it goes to a blank screen. I have let it sit to upwards of a 1/2 hour and nothing happens. Battery does not get hot, just nothing happens.

Steps I take on install/wipe are as follows:

-Boot into recovery

-Data/Factory reset

-Clear cache partition

-clear Dalvik cache (under advanced)

-Flash Rom of choice

-Flash Gapps if it apply's (with touchwiz it does not apply)

-reboot to system

All that being said.......I just bought this phone at best buy 3 days ago.
While the phone works really well, samsung has done somthing to the os/phone that makes it harder to root or use roms.

I have tried numerous roms, and having no luck whatsoever installing them.

I have been compiling a list of roms and such and here is what I have so far:

Roms with a black screen after samsung logo:

-CM11 nightly latest build - blank screen after samsung logo

-Beanstalk 4.4 nightly build - black screen after samsung logo

-Cm10.2.0 - bails out on install

-CM10.1 - bails out on install

-Carbon Rom 4.4.2 - black screen after samsung logo

-Slimbean 4.3 - black screen after samsung logo

-Slimbean 4.4 - black screen after samsung logo

Roms that have worked fine:

-jdsingle MK5 Tw rom

-ODIN Backup for --> BOOST MOBILE SPH-L710_MG2 (tw) - no isues at all

-stock rooted MD7 rom (tw) - no issues at all

-stock rooted MG2 rom (tw) - no issues at all

-VanirAOSP nightly - installed with a modified cwm recovery, philz/cwm normal/cwm touch I got a black

screen after samsung logo - had a few glitches

-Fox - installed with a modified cwm recovery, philz/cwm normal/cwm touch I got a black screen after

samsung logo - no wifi or 3g/data

-Bam Android - installed with a modified cwm recovery, philz/cwm normal/cwm touch I got a black

screen after samsung logo - no data/3g

-Carbon rom 4.3.1 installed with a modified cwm recovery, philz/cwm normal/cwm touch I got a black

screen after samsung logo - had a few glitches

As you see above the list is getting quite long, sonsidering a ton of others have not had this issue, and I see on videos this same exact phone SPH-L710 people instlal just fine.
I have talked closely with struckn and some other devs as well, and nobody can figure out why I cannot install these roms. Speculation however is from reading and from what people have told me on xda and here, is that these newer s3's somehow have been modified via the hardware or software (I lean to the software) so it makes it really difficult to root/install roms.

I know it can be done because I am rooted, and I have used 3 or 4 different TW roms. Anything aside from that it just doesn't work, and throws me into a blank screen.

So I'm at a loss right now why this is giving me such problems, so I will throw this out there, in desperation and ask....does anyone have any ideas why, am I just destined to be stuck on touchwiz and not have any other choice or options??

Hope this clears things up a lil, sorry if I wasn't as thorough as I needed to be :).

Last edited: