[Q] Bluetooth Volume Control Issues

Search This thread

jaredtritsch

Feb 24, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
I have noticed recently that when I am connected to a Bluetooth speaker (I have seen this with my Jawbone Big JamBox, my Sony DT1300 Home Theater Amp, and my JayBird BlueBuds X) that the volume controls go completely crazy.

If I press volume down, on either the device or the phone (unified volume control) the volume goes down like normal.

If I press volume up, on either the device or the phone (unified volume control) the volume ALSO goes down. Watching the volume display on he phone as it happens reveals the volume slider stepping up one level, then slipping back down to a position slightly lower than it was initially. Repeated presses of volume up drive the volume down further to the point where sound becomes muted.

Since this is happening with three COMPLETELY different bluetooth devices (A desktop speaker, a headset, and a Home Theater System) and this is NOT happening when I connect using my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1, I can only assume something on the Moto X is to blame.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

bsaman

Jul 27, 2012
If I press volume up, on either the device or the phone (unified volume control) the volume ALSO goes down. Watching the volume display on he phone as it happens reveals the volume slider stepping up one level, then slipping back down to a position slightly lower than it was initially. Repeated presses of volume up drive the volume down further to the point where sound becomes muted.

Did you ever make any progress on figuring this out? I also have the Big Jambox and saw the crazy volume behavior, but dismissed it. Then, I got the Kinivo BTC450 and got something even weirder!!!

Starting from lowest bluetooth volume to highest (using buttons on the phone):

can't hear -> can't hear -> can almost hear -> almost there -> can't hear -> can almost hear -> almost there -> too loud -> too loud

The slider behaves normally, not jumping down when it should be going up; but the volume is all over the place. This behavior is present when pushing the volume up or down, unlike the Jambox issue on volume up. I haven't reached out to Motorola on this.