[DEV] Ubuntu 11.10 for A43/A101 [RELEASE 1]

Search This thread

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
Look at the messages on the screen, it's surely a wrong root partition number.
Unfortunatly, as has said CalcProgrammer1

You'll need to recompile the kernel from CalcProgrammer1 git. (You may try the .cmdline file in kboot, but if I recall well, it doesn't work. Well, it does work, but archos kernel doesn't really use this parameter)

thanks for the reply, i tryed the cmdline thing but no luck, and im unsure how find out the real mount poin of the ext3 partition, also isnt there any way to just decompile and recompile the kernel as we can do for boot.img files on phones, im too lasy to build the kernel........?

EDIT: also i get no messages on the screen, after i chose the ubuntu entry in kboot i just get stuck at a multi colored screen

Last edited:

grim-a101

Mar 19, 2012
EDIT: also i get no messages on the screen, after i chose the ubuntu entry in kboot i just get stuck at a multi colored screen
This is typically a wrong compiled kernel (well, with bugged compiler), maybe you could try another one (even if the root path is wrong, you should see the list of the available partitions on the kernel messages on screen)

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
This is typically a wrong compiled kernel (well, with bugged compiler), maybe you could try another one (even if the root path is wrong, you should see the list of the available partitions on the kernel messages on screen)

ok, il try an other, but cant this also be caused by the initramfs.cpio.gz file i made, i made in root explorer, maybe you could tell me how to make the empty initramfs file so il be sure its not cause of it?

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
I've done it on Ubuntu, with a simple right-click/new document.
Yours should be fine

ok, so i did some testing, none of the kernels in the first post work, all of them get stuck at the same multi collored screen, any ideea except compiling my oun kernel, as i dont really know how to do it?

EDIT: ok, so i found a kernel onthe 3rd-4th page that works, but still not booting, if i make you a screenshot can u halp me, also are u sure the cmdline thing doesent work and i have to recompile the kernel?

EDIT2: i get a "kernel panic: -not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance"

EDIT3: i also get a: "EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p1): warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended"
thanks if you can help me

Last edited:

eymas

Jan 14, 2012
Considering i'm going to use my trusty A43 as a full media/webserver, i'll give this a try.
although there is one issue, the rootfs link in the first post appears to result in a 404.

divx118

Dec 20, 2009
Considering i'm going to use my trusty A43 as a full media/webserver, i'll give this a try.
although there is one issue, the rootfs link in the first post appears to result in a 404.

I am currently working on a new rootfs, but with a more light weight desktop manager like enlightenment or lxde (lubuntu). I have also SGX for X working. Gnome or unity is much to heavy for this device with only 256mb. However still some work todo before a release.
BTW I am not using the kernel from CalcProgrammer, but my own build from nicktimes kernel sources release. http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Gen8Linux2.6.37#HowtoinstallMeegoUbuntuBodhiimage
When I am done there will also be a guide on howto build the image yourself with rootstock on the openaos wiki.

divx118

eymas

Jan 14, 2012
I am currently working on a new rootfs, but with a more light weight desktop manager like enlightenment or lxde (lubuntu). I have also SGX for X working. Gnome or unity is much to heavy for this device with only 256mb. However still some work todo before a release.
BTW I am not using the kernel from CalcProgrammer, but my own build from nicktimes kernel sources release. http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Gen8Linux2.6.37#HowtoinstallMeegoUbuntuBodhiimage
When I am done there will also be a guide on howto build the image yourself with rootstock on the openaos wiki.

divx118

Aha.

I wonder what Ubuntu Phone will need.

eymas

Jan 14, 2012
Ok, so i tried to install this with the available methods.

Issue #1: Rootfs is unavailable thanks to a 404.
Issue #2: booting results in a blank screen(Black)

I have an 8GB sd card formatted to ext3, so i used the appropriate image.

eymas

Jan 14, 2012
Ok, so i tried to install this with the available methods.

Issue #1: Rootfs is unavailable thanks to a 404.
Issue #2: booting results in a blank screen(Black)

I have an 8GB sd card formatted to ext3, so i used the appropriate image.

Could you re-upload the rootfs image perhaps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Last summer I got Ubuntu 11.04 working on my A43 but didn't post anything about it. With the progress made on kexec and the new kboot bootloader, it is now possible to have multiple kernels for multiple OS'es. This means it just got a whole lot easier to boot Ubuntu without losing the ability to run OpenAOS or UrukDroid Android OS'es.

As far as I'm aware, Ubuntu doesn't work on the 2.6.29-omap1 kernel that Archos uses and is the base for most other development on gen8. However, for A43 and A101 users, OpenAOS member Nicktime made some headway in porting the 2.6.37+ kernel to gen8, but appears to have abandoned the project. I've cloned his repository and have been working to add features that he did not finish implementing. However, his kernel did have the ability to boot an Ubuntu rootfs and it works very well for desktop Linux distributions (this also works on Debian and I would assume other ARM distros as well).

As I have been unable to build an Ubuntu 11.10 rootfs using the rootstock method that Ubuntu describes here, I've started working with the HP TouchPadBuntu rootfs from this thread. This rootfs boots well on my TouchPad and I've removed the TP-specific items from it and added the gen8 items as necessary. The display is working and the touchscreen works as well (calibrated correctly as I copied my calibration from my 11.04 install). It boots into Unity 2D which is the default. I'm having issues getting the wl1271 wireless module up, I have had it running once but NetworkManager said device was not ready despite being able to iwlist scan and see a list of AP's and then connect to them manually.

RELEASE 1

You will need the rootfs and the modifications.

To install, mount your destination partition (should be at least 4GB and ext3 formatted) to a location, then run the following:

Code:
    cd /media/UbuntuPartition (change this to wherever your Ubuntu partition is mounted)
    tar xzf /path/to/TouchPadBuntuRootfs.tgz ./
    tar xzf /path/to/Gen8Modifications.tar.gz ./

If you do not have a microSD card in the slot, you need to edit the file etc/fstab and change anything mmcblk1 to mmcblk0, this is because the SD card will identify as mmcblk0 if it exists, but if it does not exist then the internal storage gets identified as mmcblk0 instead. This is a kernel issue I have yet to find a solution to.

Kernels for Release 1
    These boot from partition 3 of internal memory (/dev/mmcblk2p3)
    Normal and Rotated 90 Degrees

This boots from partition 1 of external sdcard (/dev/mmcblk0p1)
    Normal

These files do not need an initramfs, but to flash to device or to use with kboot you need one anyways. Simply create an empty (0 byte) file named 'initramfs.cpio.gz' and use it for this purpose.

INFO ON KERNEL MMC/SD INITIALIZATION

mmc0 (mmcblk0pX) - Micro SD card
    mmc1 (mmcblk1pX, mmcblk2pX) - System and Data blocks of internal memory
    mmc2 - wl1271 SDIO interface

I installed the rootfs to an 8GB microSD and boot it using root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 on the kernel command line.

USEFUL LINKS
    http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Gen8Linux2.6.37
    https://github.com/CalcProgrammer1/archos-gen8-kernel-2.6.37
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1304475
    http://www.omappedia.org/wiki/OMAP_WiLink_Connectivity_Home
    http://www.omappedia.org/wiki/MAC802.11_based_Wilink

divx118
    RC.LOCAL START-UP SCRIPT

This script should enable everything at boot time and should make Ubuntu easier to use on gen8 tablets. It starts WiFi and Bluetooth as well as enables USB charging.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    #MAC_ADDRESS='00:22:33:44:55:66'
    MAC_ADDRESS=`cut -f3 -d" " /media/data/system/persist.archos.WIFI_mac`
    ifconfig wlan0 hw ether $MAC_ADDRESS
    ifconfig wlan0 up

modprobe btwilink
    sleep 10
    hciattach /dev/ttyS0 texas 3000000
    /etc/init.d/network-manager restart
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/battery/usb_online
    echo 3 > /sys/devices/platform/battery/charge_level
    exit 0

You must have /media/data mounted in your /etc/fstab file, the entry should look like this:

Code:
    /dev/mmcblk1p4 /media/data ext3 defaults 0 0

If this entry isn't in /etc/fstab, the /media/data partition will not be available at the time rc.local is run, and it will fail trying to read the MAC address. Alternatively, you can uncomment the hard-coded MAC address and use that but it's not as clean.
    I'm actually struggling with getting a Kernel source + .config that boot up on my a101.
    I've reinstall a new box with Ubuntu 12.04, I've compiled the toolchain, but I've made so much test on all the kernel sources and .config that I have ... I'm a little lost.
    Seems that I've found a .config that is working with Nicktime's git repo, I'll try to make the touchscreen working by adding the device ID in the generic touchscreen driver. I'll tell if that made a difference or not.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

GOT IT!

Well almost.
    The touchscreen is reacting, but as the display is upside-down, the touchscreen is inverted (ie I have to touch the bottom-right side of the screen to click on the upper-left).

What I did (In nicktime's archos-linux-2-6-37-gen8) :
    drivers/hid/hid-ids.h
    replace:
    Code:
    #define USB_VENDOR_ID_UNITEC    0x227d
    #define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_USB_TOUCH_0709     0x0709
    #define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_USB_TOUCH_0A19     0x0a19

by:
    Code:
    #define USB_VENDOR_ID_UNITEC    0x227d
    #define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_USB_TOUCH_0709     0x0709
    #define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_USB_TOUCH_0A19     0x0a19

#define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_10_TS_V0   0x0a19
    #define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_10_TS_V1   0x0a1a

In drivers/hid/hid-multitouch.c:
    Replace
    Code:
     /* Unitec panels */
            { .driver_data = MT_CLS_DEFAULT,
                    HID_USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_UNITEC,
                            USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_USB_TOUCH_0709) },
                            USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_USB_TOUCH_0A19) },
            { }

by

Code:
     /* Unitec panels */
                            USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_USB_TOUCH_0709) },
                            USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_USB_TOUCH_0A19) },
                            USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_10_TS_V0) },
                            USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_10_TS_V1) },

{ }

Those modifications just tell the hid-multitouch driver to handle the 0x0A1A device.
    Now, I've got to find where in the .config (or source file) is the screen invertion.
    I've also been looking into porting an even newer kernel as there is a LOT to gain from it if done right. The 3.x kernels have integrated btwilink/wl1271 drivers, better OMAP DSS drivers, and more. Archos hacked DSI video mode into the old OMAPDSS driver for the A43. This has been added officially but it is different than Archos' hack.