[Q] SlapMyMoto 4.4 Rooting/Unrooting

Search This thread

gerodive

Aug 6, 2010
So I'll be getting a Verizon Moto X soon and I plan to root via SlapMyMoto. My question is this: If my device ever needs to be serviced for warranty or resold at a later date, will I be able to unroot with ease back to 100% stock 4.4 without a trace of the rooting? The process is so convoluted that I worry it breaks certain things and I won't be able to switch back to pure stock. Has anyone tried this?

enriquejones666

Nov 20, 2011
san jose
Nexus 9
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
"100% stock without a trace of rooting"... No. You can easily flash back to the stock 4.2.2 image, But the system write protect that "WpNoMo" disables, does not revert back (meaning, the system wp will remain disabled). So, it will be nearly indistinguishable from stock, but a trained expert could easily detect it (a single command sent over adb will tell you wp is off).
Sent from Nexus 7

Last edited:
Reactions: gerodive

trrubicon06

Oct 25, 2011
I was wondering the same thing. I rooted my 32g VZW Moto with Slap 1.0, but just received my Dev Edition from the $100 off sale. My plan is to return the original back to stock and sell. Will the stock recovery return when flashing back to 4.2.2? I wanna make sure the buyer can upgrade OTA and whatever like stock.

gerodive

Aug 6, 2010
I was wondering the same thing. I rooted my 32g VZW Moto with Slap 1.0, but just received my Dev Edition from the $100 off sale. My plan is to return the original back to stock and sell. Will the stock recovery return when flashing back to 4.2.2? I wanna make sure the buyer can upgrade OTA and whatever like stock.

This. For all practical purposes, will the phone pass a warranty test and be resellable to act like a normal phone with OTA updates and the like?

nhizzat

Mar 12, 2011
Google Pixel 3
OnePlus 6T
Will the stock recovery return when flashing back to 4.2.2? I wanna make sure the buyer can upgrade OTA and whatever like stock.

Yes it will. Like stock depends on whether or not you disabled write protection completely.

This. For all practical purposes, will the phone pass a warranty test and be resellable to act like a normal phone with OTA updates and the like?

I believe the answer is yes because the 4.4 OTA tripped the counter.

nhizzat

Mar 12, 2011
Google Pixel 3
OnePlus 6T
What does that mean? Apologies for my relative ignorance in this field.

From what I've read, the 4.4 OTA trips the flash counter within the bootloader as if you had flashed something yourself manually. What I gathered from that is there's no way to distinguish a previously rooted Moto X from a completely stock Moto X with the 4.4 OTA.

gerodive

Aug 6, 2010
That's good to hear. So I'll be able to root 4.4, unroot, and get whatever the newest OTA is (probably 4.4.2) without any issue?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "100% stock without a trace of rooting"... No. You can easily flash back to the stock 4.2.2 image, But the system write protect that "WpNoMo" disables, does not revert back (meaning, the system wp will remain disabled). So, it will be nearly indistinguishable from stock, but a trained expert could easily detect it (a single command sent over adb will tell you wp is off).
    Sent from Nexus 7
    Will the stock recovery return when flashing back to 4.2.2? I wanna make sure the buyer can upgrade OTA and whatever like stock.

Yes it will. Like stock depends on whether or not you disabled write protection completely.

I believe the answer is yes because the 4.4 OTA tripped the counter.
    What does that mean? Apologies for my relative ignorance in this field.

From what I've read, the 4.4 OTA trips the flash counter within the bootloader as if you had flashed something yourself manually. What I gathered from that is there's no way to distinguish a previously rooted Moto X from a completely stock Moto X with the 4.4 OTA.
    That's good to hear. So I'll be able to root 4.4, unroot, and get whatever the newest OTA is (probably 4.4.2) without any issue?

when ever you want to go back to stock you just need to download the stock firmware and flash it via RSD Lite or Fastboot and then take the OTA