[Q] How do I root the Samsung Galaxy Light SGH T399

Search This thread

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
I am wondering if there is any chance of an incoming rom for this device the samsung galaxy light. I would like if cyanogenmod replied to my tweet on Twitter about support for this device. I hsvnt even found this device to have its name with yhe other devices in development. I really hope if people start donating or something that this could take off I mean it has more capabilities than the Samsung admire on cricket or metro pcs and they have roms ..lol this I feel is a shame for the galaxy light. . Which leads me to ask.. hmm.. whats the hold up on development?
The admire and vitality had roms because it was an amazing device for teh price and filled a nice price gap so a LOT of people had them, plus it helped that most of the code for cyanogenmod was lifted from the prevail where we had cm runnng for a while.. the light has to fight that spot with the moto g which si far more popular as well as a few other budget devices, thus it isnt as known.

Yeah, I put in a request for informal support on CyanogenMod forums. No results.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/index....equest-T-Mobile-Samsung-Galaxy-Light-Sgh-T399

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
i suggest reading up on this post http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/72611-can-i-get-cyanogenmod-on-my-device/ in it specifically:

Now, what does this mean to you? First off, requesting anywhere in the CM forum, the CM Blog, or the Facebook/Google+/Twitter accounts for device XX to be supported is probably a waste of your time and anybody who reads said request. CyanogenMod does not work on device requests as there is no guaranteeing that a current CM maintainer is even interested in the device.

that thread is the sticky at the top of the device requests forum http://i.imgur.com/Qn5mTbf.png and its a really good read, i suggest everyone check it out just for some understanding on how the CM project works behind the scenes.

I know my last few posts have seemed like a debbie downer and im sorry, i just dont wish for people to get the wrong idea about stuff :/

Reactions: cyberstoic

Proud2banoob

Jul 12, 2013
Durham
Google Pixel 6a
its more popular. go compare the number of tech news sites writing about the light vs the moto g.

I believe you that it's more popular. I wasn't implying you were incorrect. I just meant that the moto g didn't deserve the preference. It's been out longer, which helps. I'm selling several, so the popularity of the Light is growing.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: shabbypenguin
Jan 24, 2013
Bloomington
so what is needed to get this rom started. anybody here able too? I could try uploading files if anybody needs something I can tinker with my light and afford to brick it.. Lol

Just let me know folks what we need to get the ball rolling for a custom rom

Id build it myself but im a noob but id be happy to donate ;) also I will risk my phone for any developmental purposes. I do know my way around android software/hardware alittle

Jan 24, 2013
Bloomington
binaries files and other files too.. for Rom kickstart

so what is needed to get this rom started. anybody here able too? I could try uploading files if anybody needs something I can tinker with my light and afford to brick it.. Lol

Just let me know folks what we need to get the ball rolling for a custom rom

Id build it myself but im a noob but id be happy to donate ;) also I will risk my phone for any developmental purposes. I do know my way around android software/hardware alittle

I am posting my system Binaries and framework files for Samsung Galaxy Light
and what i believe are binaries and framework files i hope will be of use.
Let me know im trying to help in anyway possible.

Reactions: Proud2banoob

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
I am posting my system Binaries and framework files for Samsung Galaxy Light
and what i believe are binaries and framework files i hope will be of use.
Let me know im trying to help in anyway possible.

Anyone can make a rom now, its just a matter of you guys have no way of putting the rom on the device. your system dump is incomplete, its only 8MB's where the usual sgs3 rom is around 700MB's. if i have a good system dump i can at least deodex and get a few cool tweaks ready for when the phone is ready though.

Reactions: Proud2banoob
Jan 24, 2013
Bloomington
adb pull /system

in order for me to do anything with it i cant just have bits and pieces, i normally build roms based off odin tars and tend to have a far "cleaner" approach.

I have the sdk on C:\ along with every Individual file included in the sdk when I type cd C:/androidsdk

Then I type adb pull /system but it either don't work or says device not found.. I'm a noob please help

numbapkz

Apr 11, 2013
I think I may have just pulled all of the system files i tried it on my device and the allocated space of what was pulled is 1.20gb and 2135 files is this of any use to you shabbypenguin? if so i can upload it to mediafire or something

tazmaniondvl

Sep 11, 2012
Phoenix
You should also send it to chainfire and see if we can get a cf-auto

Sent from my SGH-T399 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

And I'm pretty sure that it won't contain anything personal, being that your info is stored on the internal sd not in the system

Sent from my SGH-T399 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: numbapkz

Daytona1445

Feb 3, 2014
San Jose
I think I may have just pulled all of the system files i tried it on my device and the allocated space of what was pulled is 1.20gb and 2135 files is this of any use to you shabbypenguin? if so i can upload it to mediafire or something

what software and steps did you take to pull this info? I would like to try it on my phone as well.

Thanks

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
I got the files and its helpful in that i can begin working on a rom for this phone, it wont however help with root in any way shape or form. chainfire needs boot.img or recovery.img to work on cf-root, same stuff needed for cwm. im beggining work on a rom, havent come up with a name yet but either way it wont do much good until you guys have cwm :(.

Reactions: Bdub220
Jan 24, 2013
Bloomington
I got the files and its helpful in that i can begin working on a rom for this phone, it wont however help with root in any way shape or form. chainfire needs boot.img or recovery.img to work on cf-root, same stuff needed for cwm. im beggining work on a rom, havent come up with a name yet but either way it wont do much good until you guys have cwm :(.

I have Booted into stock recovery using volm. Down, home button and power and there's an option to flash Rom.zip ....if its even possible to use stock recovery with that option? Or do we really have to have a custom recovery

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

I have Booted into stock recovery using volm. Down, home button and power and there's an option to flash Rom.zip ....if its even possible to use stock recovery with that option? Or do we really have to have a custom recovery

Could we use the boot. Img and recovery. Img from a file pull using adb?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooted kernel
    Stock kernel
    Root your device script

1) install supersu from teh market
    2) flash rooted kernel in odin
    3) boot up and enable usb debugging
    4) run the rooting batch script to root your phone
    5) flash stock kenrle back to get wifi etc back
    6) enjoy root.

i need someone to then run this command in adb shell or teminal emulator

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/dw_mmc.0/by-name/RECOVERY of=/sdcard/stock-t399-recovery.img
    So much misinformation being spread around, a locked bootloader only blocks the install of custom images, not root. should you guys have a locked bootloader youll be the first locked samsung device on tmobile, the only way youll know is when someone flashes a custom kernel.

source code helps you with nothing as i said :/, odin images come from either kies or are leaked i would suggest reaching out to samfirmware.com instead as samsung will ignore you. motochopper would never work on this as it has an exynos cpu and motochopper is for qualcomm. so exploits more like exynos abuse or framaroot are ones you should look at but i doubt any of them will work.

flashing modded images via odin will work, however youve no way to make them without teh stock files, you cant dump them without using dd (which needs root). its a rather vicious cycle, but once you get root and get cwm you are set for life :/
    Samsung replied to my message!

The source code has been posted here: http://opensource.samsung.com/

Search for "SGH-T399".

:laugh:
    For what it's worth to the other developers I got Alex from androidfilehost.com to add this device so if you wanna upload stuff you can now do it there

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app