Losing 4G connection

Search This thread

legaldeejay

Dec 2, 2013
I have the app LTE OnOff which allows you to set Preferred Network Types. This is the list of options:

0 WCDMA preferred
1 GSM only
2 WCDMA only
3 GSM auto (PRL)
4 CDMA auto (PRL)
5 CDMA only
6 EvDo only
7 GSM/WCDMA, CDMA, and EvDo (PRL)
8 CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto
9 GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto
10 CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto
11 LTE only
12 LTE,CDMA

I have it set to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto which allows both 3G and 4G. What often happens is that I will lose 4G and the preferred network will switch itself to something else, like CDMA auto (PRL) and stays on 3G until I switch it back to what it was before.

Any explanation for why this is happening?

legaldeejay

Dec 2, 2013
I just wanted to report that I finally got a new SIM card, but the problem still occurs when the LTE OnOff app is set to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto. So I tried the CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto setting and so far so good. Maybe this setting would have worked with my old SIM card, I don't know.

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I just wanted to report that I finally got a new SIM card, but the problem still occurs when the LTE OnOff app is set to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto. So I tried the CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto setting and so far so good. Maybe this setting would have worked with my old SIM card, I don't know.
Stop using this app. It wasn't meant to be used with the HTC one. It might even be the cause of your issue since it tries to override the default network preferences.

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
Stock rooted rom + Stock recovery + Factory reset = No more problem dropping 4G

That will be the only method to fix your corrupt NV radio partitions.

I would also suggest not using that app, as Disconnecktie said.

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com

All it does is make a shortcut to the "RadioInfo" process that is stored in settings. You can reach this by going to dialer and typing *#*#4636#*#* > Phone info. You will see the it there. The app is perfectly safe because it doesn't do much but shortcut to a process that is stock on the phone. Held in the settings.apk
I sense removed the app and just made a shortcut myself. Right now i have mine set to LTE/CDMA auto (PRL) and its bee working great for me. Check to see if you have the option to change it to that also.

see attached photo, sorry for the graininess of the photo. guess XDA has a limit on how big of an upload you can do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-21-16-19-21.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-21-16-19-21.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 62

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
Is this the app you're using? If you are the reason I say to quit using it is because it was made for the thunderbolt years ago. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.andirc.lteonfoff

If not maybe try what Santod suggested. This issue happens sometimes when you flash aosp roms and sometimes when you switch the radio to an unsupported mode. I had to do the factory reset using stock recovery once before because I accidentally switched to an unsupported preference.

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Is this the app you're using? If you are the reason I say to quit using it is because it was made for the thunderbolt years ago. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.andirc.lteonfoff

If not maybe try what Santod suggested. This issue happens sometimes when you flash aosp roms and sometimes when you switch the radio to an unsupported mode. I had to do the factory reset using stock recovery once before because I accidentally switched to an unsupported preference.

I understand that it was made for the thunderbolt but the source for this shows all it does is use Google setting apk to find the radio intent:

private void radioInfo(){
ComponentName intentComponent = new ComponentName("com.android.settings", "com.android.settings.RadioInfo");
Intent mainIntent = new Intent("android.intent.action.MAIN");
mainIntent.setComponent(intentComponent);
startActivity(mainIntent);
System.exit(0);

}

anyways not to get off topic, the app is fine.

OP what rom / kernel are you on.

Reactions: xdadevnube

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I understand that it was made for the thunderbolt but the source for this shows all it does is use Google setting apk to find the radio intent:

ComponentName intentComponent = new ComponentName("com.android.settings", "com.android.settings.RadioInfo");
System.exit(0);

}

The app hasn't been updated in over three years. I'm pretty sure the ril has changed a lot since then. A factory reset with the stock Rom and recovery in place will fix the issue.

Last edited:

legaldeejay

Dec 2, 2013
I am using an Ecliptic ROM. The app I referred to is not really an app, it is just a shortcut as synisterwolf stated. The option I have been using since I enabled it - CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA/LTE - appears to be working fine, so I am sticking with that.

Reactions: SynisterWolf

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solution

@legaldeejay

The best solution to your issue is to do as Santod suggested; go back to stock rom, recovery, and a factory reset.

If the problem even then STILL persists, well, nothing beats a good ol' fashioned RUU (caution: wipes media memory).

Neo
    Forum Moderator

System.exit(0);

}

The app hasn't been updated in over three years. I'm pretty sure the ril has changed a lot since then. A factory reset with the stock Rom and recovery in place will fix the issue.

has nothing to do with RIL and if you like we can talk more about it in a PM.

thank you
    I am using an Ecliptic ROM. The app I referred to is not really an app, it is just a shortcut as synisterwolf stated. The option I have been using since I enabled it - CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA/LTE - appears to be working fine, so I am sticking with that.