[Q] no wifi rooted at&t S4 4.4.2 NB1

Search This thread

maleko808

Apr 7, 2008
greetings!

I've been searching for hours and bashing my brains trying to get wifi working. It originally broke after an OTA update

tried all the tips and still nothing works permanently. The things I have tried are too numerous to remember or list.

It's not a hardware issue as wifi can work for periods of time but it always breaks - I assume because of an update that downloads and breaks it.

i see talk of reflashing "modules" with safestrap but safestrap has never worked properly and now does not work at all ("unfortunately safestrap has stopped") Can modules be flashed from Odin?

TIA !

tsaxman

Mar 2, 2012
MA
Sorry to hear about your troubles man. Been there, done that...

IMHO, if you don't have hardware issues, this what you should do:

ODIN to stock http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2616221 (post 1, the Returning to Stock / ODIN section)

After that root

Now it's time to flash you favorite rom (Safestrap has the list). Copy the following to your SD card:

Feb 7, 2012
La Porte
Same boat as well I believe, need help please.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T I337 ucufnbn1 MDF. And I've tried to get into the UMTS menu with every possible number and trick I can find on Google, here, YouTube. And nothing works. I just want to be able to sim unlock it and also be able to put cwm recovery on it so I can put ROMs on it. I do have it rooted with Towel and have busy box installed as well as SU. Cyanogen's website picks it up by its other name jfelte or whatever and has a lot of ROMs. If someone could please help me finish getting the rest of the way, that would be greatly appreciated.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T I337 ucufnbn1 MDF. And I've tried to get into the UMTS menu with every possible number and trick I can find on Google, here, YouTube. And nothing works. I just want to be able to sim unlock it and also be able to put cwm recovery on it so I can put ROMs on it. I do have it rooted with Towel and have busy box installed as well as SU. Cyanogen's website picks it up by its other name jfelte or whatever and has a lot of ROMs. If someone could please help me finish getting the rest of the way, that would be greatly appreciated.

You won't be able to put cwm on it or cm. See index, all things at&t......in the general forum

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Feb 7, 2012
La Porte
Ummmm a tiny bit more help please lol

I looked at the stuff in that link and like eating ice cream to fast , I got a brain freeze or headache........ Lol. I'm getting that I need to downgrade to mk this and flash that. Could someone be kind enough to give me a quick but correct step by step run through. Again it'd be very appreciated.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I looked at the stuff in that link and like eating ice cream to fast , I got a brain freeze or headache........ Lol. I'm getting that I need to downgrade to mk this and flash that. Could someone be kind enough to give me a quick but correct step by step run through. Again it'd be very appreciated.

Just click on the spoiler for nb1 need users. The step by step is there. It's in the first post

Feb 7, 2012
La Porte
So this one

So are you talking about this one and if so, why would I do that when that's what I'm already on. I'm on nb1 4.4.2 rooted with towel. So I'm lost in what your trying to explain.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2012
La Porte
So Safestrap 3 it is

So I need to install Safestrap. I heard with my s4 being MDF , it would damage it. I could be wrong and if so cool. Just let me know no probs.

Feb 7, 2012
La Porte
MDF Reply

Here is a screenshot of where I'm talking about. Oh and Safe strap 3.72 is installed perfectly thank you so very much for that. Your awesome. And a lot of people are saying when you reboot and it shows the "Safestrap is disabled" screen you can't get back into it. I did just fine.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2012
La Porte
NB1 discussion

Ok , well I honestly appreciate your help with this. With this setup can I install any ROMs at all? Am I limited to certain ones or can I install any compatible ones for my model? I know sometimes when your on a certain stock ROM your stuck with only like certain types. Like Paranoid or whatever it is, and a few others.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Ok , well I honestly appreciate your help with this. With this setup can I install any ROMs at all? Am I limited to certain ones or can I install any compatible ones for my model? I know sometimes when your on a certain stock ROM your stuck with only like certain types. Like Paranoid or whatever it is, and a few others.

You can not install any roms. The i337 on any firmware higher than mdl can only flash touch wiz based roms. See the index, all things at&t.... for roms that are compatible.

GalaxyMasterI337

Aug 19, 2014
This mini-guide should work!

The problem is, in order to get WiFi working, you need to install the NB1 modules, but to do that, you need to install Safestrap. However, you can not install Safestrap because the app keeps closing on you. There is a simple fix to this, which I will explain later. For now, just read this WHOLE post BEFORE you do anything, and keep in mind that I am NOT held liable if you mess up your phone. Use this at your own risk.

1.) Root your phone

If you're already rooted with something like SuperSU or Superuser, skip this. If not, read ahead. Download and install the Towelroot APK file attached to this post, open it, and click 'make it ra1n'. If your phone didn't reboot, now you have root (they need to trademark that). Now, down below, I also included the APK for SuperSU. Download and install it. Now open it. When you open it, let it install the 'Normal' way, not via the 'TWRP/CWM' way. Also, when it asks you to disable KNOX, say yes, wait a couple of minutes (it will still be loading) and reboot your phone. Open up SuperSU again, click 'Yes' to disable KNOX again, and now you have a good base to start from.

2.) Install Safestrap AFTER fixing the error

The error your are getting is easily fixed. Go to the Play Store and install 'SELinux Mode Changer'. Open it, grant it root access, and change the mode to 'Permissive'. Now, open up Safestrap again (you mentioned you already installed it), and it shouldn't force close. Click 'Install', and if the 'Reboot to Recovery' option below is not grayed out after that then it worked.

3.) Download and install the NB1 modules

On your phone, download the included NB1 modules ZIP file I attached for you, and once that is done you need to reboot. After the Galaxy S4 logo, you'll see a screen that says 'SAFESTRAP: DISABLED' and there will be a little robot. TIP: To enter Safestrap, press the menu button (physical, hardware key) under 'Recovery' at that screen. To continue to Android, press the back key (again, physical) under the 'System' tab. For now, press the menu button under 'Recovery'. Now, click 'Install' which should be in red, click 'Add zips', and navigate to your Downloads folder. Now click on the NB1 modules ZIP you just downloaded. Swipe to install, and reboot. This time, hit the back key under 'System'.

All done!

Now, Android should (and will) boot up, and you'll have working WiFi! If, for some odd reason, you don't have WiFi- do NOT panic! Just search around for the MF3 modules and flash those! All is good, all is good. A lot of this guide was taken from my post about my personal method of SIM unlocking the AT&T Galaxy S4 without the dialer codes or an AT&T SIM. It was just modified a little to work for you.

Remember, hit thanks! :good:

Attachments

• ATT_NB1_modules.zip
    406.8 KB · Views: 107
  • tr_1_.apk
    110.4 KB · Views: 70
  • eu.chainfire.supersu.apk
    2.2 MB · Views: 58