Android on a Stick HDMI USB

Search This thread

rayjr13

May 26, 2011
if you power independantly of the tv USB power, which I would assume turns off when the TV is off, then remaining on should be no problem. If the HDMI output is connected directly to a tv and you turn the tv off, I'm not sure you should expect any sound to come out of the speakers....simple stuff really. The better questions might be, or at least more appropriate for me are:

Similiar to MK802, not II, there does not appear to be a software shutdown button. What methods, apps, framework mods can add this functionality?
Can anyone forsee any problems connecting the HDMI directly to a AV system with HDMI video passthrough. (this would be ideal for a monitor off/sound through AV system situation)

What i haven't experienced in android because I jsut havent tried it with any device is should audio be expected out of the HDMI interface for android-based devices?

joaosousa

Apr 28, 2006
Porto
Hi, i have an oval elephant aka SmallArt u-host device. It comes with android 4, but i am trying to boot some linux distro's like lubuntu, xubuntu using the micro sd card.

I can get it to boot, but i cant make wifi work. Anyone has any ideas on how to make it work???

Rescue Wagon

Mar 2, 2012
Crazy Idea

I was thinking about one of these for my motorcycle to use as a GPS and for Pandora. Does anyone know if any of these models will support GPS and a 3G?

Rescue Wagon

Mar 2, 2012
I know that Raspberry Pi can have both, but the last thing I found is that it hasn't been fully ported over to Android OS and I'm really looking to run something that is Android based.

deadhp1

Dec 31, 2011
I was thinking about one of these for my motorcycle to use as a GPS and for Pandora. Does anyone know if any of these models will support GPS and a 3G?

The ug802 can support webs and 3g sitcks. It doesn't support gps, and doesn't have bluetooth support. A usb bluetooth stick won't work with it.
I'd probably choose something with kernel sources so you can add support where it may be lacking.

I'll be testing the mk808 early next week when my sample unit gets here. I'm looking forward to it.

rayjr13

May 26, 2011
Along the same lines, anybody hear of the GV-20 (aka MK808), it looks like a UG802 with 8GB nand and Jelly Bean...
AND clocked to 1.5/6?

The ug802 can support webs and 3g sitcks. It doesn't support gps, and doesn't have bluetooth support. A usb bluetooth stick won't work with it.
I'd probably choose something with kernel sources so you can add support where it may be lacking.

I'll be testing the mk808 early next week when my sample unit gets here. I'm looking forward to it.

I was sick to my stomach when I ordered the UG802 and then the next morning checking on the order status and saw this as new. Might to buy this one too.

Anyone have experience with US shipping times for gadgetgreats?

MemoryController

Dec 21, 2011
Thessaloniki

How do you order a sample? There is a bit of local demand here so I'm interested in having one as demo unit but can't find the manufacturer's site

Sent from my GT-I9100 running CM10

deadhp1

Dec 31, 2011
How do you order a sample? There is a bit of local demand here so I'm interested in having one as demo unit but can't find the manufacturer's site

UG802 manufacturer is ugoos.net
You can probably get a retail unit cheaper. I got one for 62.99 a last week.

My MK808 sample is a bit more expensive and ordered it through alibaba. Manufacturer is Tomato.
So far none are available with bluetooth on alibaba, even the ones that say they have bluetooth respond with it's not available at this time.

rayjr13

May 26, 2011
So am I mistaken or are there multiple packages or at least packaging for the UG802? Is the IF802 same as ug802+ same as ibex UG802+?

I purchased mine when gadget greats had it as just UG802 in a black box. I just wish I had some idea when it would get here. Feels like I've been waiting forever.

Reason I ask is from a development stand point will all these ug802a referenced be compatible with the same ROMS & kernels?
I know sample units vs retail units have been mentioned.

deadhp1

Dec 31, 2011
So am I mistaken or are there multiple packages or at least packaging for the UG802? Is the IF802 same as ug802+ same as ibex UG802+?

I purchased mine when gadget greats had it as just UG802 in a black box. I just wish I had some idea when it would get here. Feels like I've been waiting forever.

Reason I ask is from a development stand point will all these ug802a referenced be compatible with the same ROMS & kernels?

So far the ug802 are almost all the same. I believe there are 2 models, each with a different antenna. (pcb, or foil)

Software and roms should be compatible across all 4gb ug802's. Some places are just renaming them.
There are only 3 different wifi chips that they might use(rtl8188eus, rk901, rk903)....and so far only one type has been used(rtl8188eus).

I just read that someone actually got through to ugoos about the wireless issue and it has been discovered that it can be solved by soldering (2) 1pf bidirectional capacitors near the pads where the u.fl connecter should be.(where the antenna is soldered on)
I find this strange because I can't find a spot on my pcb where to solder them.

Personally what worked to fix the wifi on my sample unit that I upgraded to 9/03 firmware was to flash the kernel.img I ripped from my old firmware.
My wifi is steady again, but who knows if this will be the same for others.

We also know how to enter flash by shorting the 2 pads near the nand chip when plugging the ug802 in.

I've started a forum devoted to android tv sticks over at http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/
I've posted up some howto's and some firmwares as well as my old kernel.img.
Hopefully we can gather and share info there.

MemoryController

Dec 21, 2011
Thessaloniki

They offer wholesale prices right?

salonist

Sep 26, 2012
there are reported serious wifi problems with the ug802
search ug802 wifi problem

my reseller sent this response

"in4dealz service

sorry for troubled u
and thanks for ur sugestions
we have testes the quality before shipped
but we didn;t think when u use, it will get hot
and it affects,that;s why wifi doesn;t stable
it's okay,
do u want to ship back for replace a new and good one?
thanks
Best wishes
Giovanni

knowing it costs more to resend back to china and since it's a hardware problem, there is no good replacement for the same product.
seller also seemed to know of the wifi problem and sold the faulty units and is still selling the faulty units

Dec 26, 2011
Xfinity Player App

Anyone get the comcast xfinity player app to work yet?

I got the Xfinity Player app to work on my MK808 (with 10/26 stock rom upgrade) today. I just installed it and input my Comcast info. At first it gave an error 3-4 times but I kept reloading it. It finally loaded all the shows/menus/pics properly and has been playing just fine all night.

EDIT: The app froze up and needed to be re-installed. It's working fine again, for the moment. After reading comments for the app on the Play store, it would appear it's very buggy/little supported.

Last edited:

dobriy

Aug 12, 2012
Ordered MK808 from lighttake today, will report my experience once it arrives :)
Still not sure which remote keyboard/touchpad to order - too many choices :( or just control it with my Android phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They come in much better flavours than those posted above. I like this one:

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G133999328931

It is basically the Galaxy S3 board with extra peripherals, more than enough for a decent low-powered htpc imo. Runs ubuntu pretty well considering there are no open source Mali drivers.......yet ;)
    Has anyone had a chance to try out these new Android Micro/Mini computers yet?
    First impressions?
    Would you use as your main media centre now XBMC is Android compatible?

They are the size of a USB stick usually with integrated wifi, USB port and HDMI port as well as a micro SD expansion slot. Looks cool.

http://youtu.be/akp2hYE1dZ0

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-Processor-Media-Center/803232_550274999.html
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-a...r-w-wi-fi-hdmi-usb-micro-usb-black-4gb-141171
    I've been looking at these android usb sticks for a while now.
    Here's my take on them:

Note: None of these devices have bluetooth built in.

MK802- all around solid allwinner a10 based.
    specs: 1ghz A10 SOC, Mali400 single core GPU, 512 or 1gb ram, 4gb flash, wifi b/g/n, mini-usb for power, full size usb and micro-sd.
    Can sometimes have issues with heat if driven really hard. Missing ESD protection for HDMI. No power button in hardware or software.
    The wifi can be a little weak.
    It can boot from micro-sd and has a linux port already.
    Antutu score is around 2380.
    Plays 1080p no problem.
    Price:~$55-~75
    There is a new model out called mk802 II that fixes some issues and adds another usb port.

Oval Elephant(uhost)- a better allwinner a10 based stick
    specs: 1ghz A10 SOC, Mali400 single core GPU, 1gb ram, 4gb flash, wifi b/g/n, mini-usb for power, full size usb and micro-sd. Also have built in microphone and microphone port.
    Better than the MK802 but not as popular. Has ESD HDMI protection and a software power button.
    It can also boot from micro-sd and has a linux port.
    The wifi can be a little weak.
    Antutu score is around 2450.
    Plays 1080p no problem.
    Price:~55(uhost)-$74(Oval Elephant)

CX-01-low heat telechips based stick.
    specs: 800mhz Telechips tcc8925, Mali400 single core GPU, 512mb ram, 4gb or 8gb flash, wifi b/g/n, micro-usb for power and full size usb.
    The micro-usb port is nice instead of the mini-usb. It's half the size of the mk802.
    It lacks a micro-sd card slot and lacks a power button.
    It seems to have some problems with wifi range and disconnecting. Wifi seems a little slow.
    Antutu score is around 2150.
    Plays 720p no problem. 1080p varies depending on the file.
    Not as nice as the A10 based systems but it will work in a pinch. It's also quite cheap.
    Price:~$45(4gb)-~$55(8gb)

UG802-Rockchip rk3066 Dual core based device
    specs: 1.2GHZ rk3066, Mali400 QUAD-core GPU, 1gb ram, 4gb flash, wifi b/g/n, micro-usb for power, full size usb and micro-sd.
    Again no power button in software or hardware.
    Wifi has good range.
    Antutu score of 6801.
    Plays 1080p no problem.
    Price:~$89

I just received a sample of the UG802 stick today. It pretty much runs rings around the others. The wifi has better range than my Photon and it gets a better Antutu score. The built in launcher is nicer.
    My only problem is that Rockchip is not as open as Allwinner or Telechips. There is no kernel source to be had.
    I'll be keeping this and my CX-01. The CX-01 is going to be for the garage, the UG802 is going on my main tv.
    I chose to keep the CX-01 to experiment with, a custom rom is in the works on the pandawill forum.
    I gave my Oval Elephant to my brother as it's a very nice stick and would work well for him(he's a newbie to android).

My mk802 has already been sold on ebay. In my opinion it just wasn't worth keeping when I had the Oval Elephant.

Anyway top of my list is the UG802, but I'm sure that will change as soon as a quad-core stick gets released.
    ug802 pics

Courtesy of habrahabr dot ru.
    To tell the truth, I dont think this kind of product line is gonna be exist in the near future. Phones with HDMI interface are much more useful, and their price is dropping day by day.

disagree. At this price point. it's cheaper than a phone by nearly 5x; you are only interested in this if you already have or are willing to bring your own HDMI screen; so the draw is a device that is portable or fixed and not mobile. No one will want to turn there phone into a portable device that must be present if the TV purchased for 60-80$USD more can be as functional, sans touchscreen, as an Android tablet.

Think for me the biggest negative on the phone w/HDMI is HDMI tethering my phone/tablet (which I would otherwise use as the remote) to the TV across the room.

This is great option for "smart TV" upgrade that doesn't seem to headed the way of the logitech revue.