[Q] IMEI blocked?

Search This thread

pr0cl1v1ty

Jan 27, 2008
College Station, TX
Okay so I found galaxy note 2 from a craiglist deal, popped in sim card, everything worked great as its a tmobile version but said per seller that it was unlocked. 30 minutes later after the deal my device had been blocked from network use. My sim would no longer work in my older phone, so I called and got that fixed, but I now have a stupid nice phone that im using for a paper weight. Obviously the person who sold it to me either knew it was reported lost or stolen, or reported it after selling it to me, its whatever it happens right.

What are my options? I really want to be able to use this phone and spent a lot of money on it. I appreciate all input.

pr0cl1v1ty

Jan 27, 2008
College Station, TX
I did, I even went to the AT&T store and they gave me a new sim card and it worked, made calls, surfed the web for like 10 minutes and the same thing happened.

f4phantomii

Feb 10, 2009
Only other option may be to try it on the other carrier. If it's a TMo phone, try it on ATT and vice versa.

---------
G1(CM7)--> G2(CM9)--> Note 2 T889 stock (root + multiwindow mod)

Reactions: pr0cl1v1ty

chingoo04

Apr 5, 2010
Okay so I found galaxy note 2 from a craiglist deal, popped in sim card, everything worked great as its a tmobile version but said per seller that it was unlocked. 30 minutes later after the deal my device had been blocked from network use. My sim would no longer work in my older phone, so I called and got that fixed, but I now have a stupid nice phone that im using for a paper weight. Obviously the person who sold it to me either knew it was reported lost or stolen, or reported it after selling it to me, its whatever it happens right.

What are my options? I really want to be able to use this phone and spent a lot of money on it. I appreciate all input.

If it is locked. Unlock and use through other carrier either tmobile or something that uses tmobile network mvno. If u have att note 2.

KillaHurtz

Aug 13, 2010
Albuquerque
I don't know if you guys have reading comprehension problems or what... Dude said he used on tmo for 30 minutes and then got blocked, and then did the same thing with AT&T. For those of you that don't know AT&T and T-Mobile now share their blacklists, meaning it will not work on any carrier that uses any of those towers. Sad to say your best option would be to sell to an international user on celltraderonline. Be very clear that it is on the US blacklist and will not work with AT&T, T-Mobile or their sister carriers.

JOSE89178

Jul 12, 2012
Nevada
Have you tried any T-Mobile or AT&T MVNO's like Simple Mobile or Red Pocket? That might work. If not your pretty much screwed. Unless you use it in another country.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

dwest3784

Oct 12, 2008
Evansville
I have been "burnt" also with buying a T-Mo Note 2 on Craigslist. I used my phone for 2 mos before it got blocked from T-Mo. I used the dialer tricked and unlocked the phone and now using it on Straight Talk Att sim. But you are right you can't use it on T-Mo network or any of the mvnos. You can only use it for ATT mvnos. I get 4g speeds and everything.

JOSE89178

Jul 12, 2012
Nevada
I guess you read my mind lol. :eek: I never saw your post. I never would of posted something double and make myself look like a fool CD they were less then 3 min apart. So excuse me :banghead:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

nccu_eagles

Jun 18, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I have been "burnt" also with buying a T-Mo Note 2 on Craigslist. I used my phone for 2 mos before it got blocked from T-Mo. I used the dialer tricked and unlocked the phone and now using it on Straight Talk Att sim. But you are right you can't use it on T-Mo network or any of the mvnos. You can only use it for ATT mvnos. I get 4g speeds and everything.

if the phone has been imei blacklisted it will not work on any united states gsm service that includes straight talk... highly doubt you have a blocked phone working on straight talk

dkim3

Nov 27, 2012
I had another thread going about being blocked on imei.
I just called tmobile and talked to them for about thirty minutes about my situation.
A quick summarization of the conversation is:
- The previous owner has been accused of fraud so that is the reason of the blocked IMEI.
- Can't do anything to unblock it, unless the previous owner retracts ther dues or whatever it is that needs to be payed.
- No third party unlocking will work.

Well for me, I fortunately have his information such as address and phone number and the text conversation still logged on my old phone. Luckily I called him today as a private number to check if he's phone still worked and still does, thank god.
Now I'm planning on calling him up tomorrow and, professionally, tell him my situation. When I met the guy, he didn't seem like a bad guy but hey, never judge a book by it's cover eh.
If he refuses any of these or won't agree to a median than I'll have to take legal actions.

That's my plan that is. I am not going to let $600.00 go to waste on a blocked phone! I'm taking this guy all the way.

eurohomie

Oct 19, 2011
Houston
not sure but can't you get rid of your IMEI by flashing a bunch of times? I had this happen with my SK4G, my IMEI number under settings was a bunch of 0s. When I called up T-mobile and asked for an unlock code for the phone, it didn't work because my IMEI was screwed up. I ended up having to alter some Hex file in order to unlock it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have no idea why someone would buy anything on Craig's List. No different from buying something from the back of a truck.

That's a ridiculous statement. I've bought and sold plenty of legit computer stuff on CL. So have my friends.

At least part of this BS with the blacklists is to hurt or kill the used devices market. Phones are getting where PCs got several years ago and the upgrade cycle may slow down. God forbid I am able to buy a used device rather than letting a carrier lock me into a silly 2 year contract or pay $750 for the device...

I can't entirely disagree that the blacklisting won't have some affect but the way they're going about it seems hamfisted at best. Laptops and other small electronics have been sold on CL for years and you don't see laptop makers blacklisting MAC addresses or the government wanting to force something so stupid on them.

I know this isn't the time or place to argue about blacklisting-fact is, it's happening. But imho its a very poorly thought out "solution." There are laws about stealing things and selling stolen things, how about enforcing those? Blacklisting just sweeps them under the rug.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    I have seen plenty of bad imei Note 2 on eBay that states that they're unlocked for ATT and can't be used for T-Mobile. All I know is my phone is blacklisted on T-Mobile and I'm now using it on Straight Talk micro ATT sim. When I talked to TMo the customer representative told me that I can get the phone unlocked and I can use it on ATT, hell she and the person with Tech support suggested that I get an third party company to unlock the imei number. What made me mad that I felt Tmo should of had a disclaimer on the BYOD plans stating that this situation could happen. There are alot of phones that are sold second hand and Tmo and ATT should be aware but my main concern is that Tmo has the BYOD plan and didn't think of this situation before. They should at least give you options to buy it outright or payment plan so that way they can make some of the money back that they feel that the company lost. But I'll never buy a second hand phone again.
    Sorry I'm a bit late on this guys, but I work at T-Mobile at the moment. Since their business is going down the drain, unfortunately, they are IMEI-blocking any phones that were either on EIP and the payments were defaulted or on a normal subsidized plan where the contract wasn't completed. However, a pretty easy way of getting through your IMEI being blocked is merely going to a T-Mobile corporate store and asking a nice guy to call the RSL hotline and request an unblock of an IMEI. You can say you bought if from someone and didn't know it was blocked etc. Now, it helps if you're trying to start new service, since we employees of T-Mobile require certain metrics to hit goal each month, an activation will motivate us to get said phone unblocked, otherwise, they'll probably think you're some shady character. So, you could walk in, say you want to start a $30 monthly plan, but think your IMEI might be blocked because it hasn't worked for a friend's SIM card, and ask if they could call and get it unblocked while being willing to show ID, even though not needed, it'd seem more trusting. I've done this on my own Note 2 after an insurance claim, thinking I lost the device, but after I received my new one, rooted it and all, found the old one. I went to work, unblocked my own IMEI, and now I have two Note 2's. :good:
    Never in my life this is why I don't read forums because the people who do ignorant name calling, racist stuff etc is fine, but I receive infraction points because I stated honest logical device, how an trolling or attacking someone because I assessed a story THEY posted! It's my opinion and I should be able to state it, I'm human, I've done dumb things before why does everything need to be so "politically correct"I see nothing wrong with my retorts to this thread, it is advice people need to hear, we need more honesty more truth and let's call a spade a spade! For a site full of mostly men you sure act like a bunch of cry babies, it's like tattle tell grow a backbone JEE'T! I've been called out my name, labeled the wrong gender, etc. I've never reported anyone and stranger online can't possibly hurt my feelings. If me telling you to protect yourself next time and be smarter about your dealings online and to other complainer about T-Mobile and there policies or what they need to say is absurd. How this is trolling I haven't the clue, how am I attacking someone who voluntarily post there situations, it's my opinion, and a fair one I might add,I wouldn't tell someone something I wouldn't tell my closet friend or family member, this site is full of overbearing sensitive WO-(men) where the secure people at dang this is hysterical

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    They don't unlock the phone, they change the Imei.

And that would be illegal in my state and probably the op's as well. Don't know Missouri law.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement