How many weeks did it take you to get used to Windows 8?

How much did it take you to get used to windows 8

• Never

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • 1 Week

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • 2 Weeks

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 3 Weeks

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 1 Month

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 2 Months

• 3 Months

• 6 Months

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 1 Year

• Other

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Why even....? *_____*

• Total voters
Search This thread

iodev

Feb 14, 2014
www.iodev.science
We all know what happened, i'm not here to complain I just wanna know how much it took you to get used to the change :)
I myself needed 2 months to get used to it ( I used windows with a starmenu since 2005 ), also don't forget to share your impressions :)

Last edited by a moderator:

smallhorsey

Jan 12, 2012
We all know what happened, i'm not here to complain I just wanna know how much it took you to get used to the change :)
I myself needed over 5 weeks ( I used windows with a starmenu since 2005 ), also don't forget to share your impressions :)

I am still getting used to it... well ... having to get used to it. I think trying to make an operating system that can be used for "everything" from touch-screen to business users is just very complex. I don't really like the metro stuff when I am using my Computer with a mouse. I can see that it might be nice on a tablet or phone ... but for desktop users it is just freaky... I also would not try to install Android and use it with a mouse :)

I went from XP straight to W8. (Gamer/Designer, so I need my laptop for my main usage).

Took me about a week. Mainly because I installed Classicshell. So it now looks and works a lot more like XP. The only way I can reach the Metro UI is by hitting windowskey + w. (I think. Might be a different combination, I never use it.) It boots to desktop, i'm using the unlocked real administrator account and I've got my Start menu back.

The only thing that annoys the life out of me is that you can't disable auto sorting in List view. You have no idea how many times you use that when you have folders with over 2000 files until it's gone.

I can't stand Metro UI. If I ever meet the designer who made that, I'll bash his head in with my uni's GUI Design rulebook. Repeatedly. Untill all he sees is massive square blocks of colour in 24".

iodev

Feb 14, 2014
www.iodev.science
I went from XP straight to W8. (Gamer/Designer, so I need my laptop for my main usage).

Took me about a week. Mainly because I installed Classicshell. So it now looks and works a lot more like XP. The only way I can reach the Metro UI is by hitting windowskey + w. (I think. Might be a different combination, I never use it.) It boots to desktop, i'm using the unlocked real administrator account and I've got my Start menu back.

The only thing that annoys the life out of me is that you can't disable auto sorting in List view. You have no idea how many times you use that when you have folders with over 2000 files until it's gone.

I can't stand Metro UI. If I ever meet the designer who made that, I'll bash his head in with my uni's GUI Design rulebook. Repeatedly. Untill all he sees is massive square blocks of colour in 24".

Lol! Come on man, you don't need to hate it (MS ain't gonna change) enjoy, try to use metro more, or else you will realize some day "Hey PC, where's my desktop, oh no it's that KB9993582" :laugh: I also agree XP was the best ever (even if now it's totally unsecure & unreliable)

Last edited:
Lol! Come on man, you don't need to hate it (MS ain't gonna change) enjoy, try to use metro more, or else you will realize some day "Hey PC, where's my desktop, oh no it's that KB9993582" :laugh: I also agree XP was the best ever (even if now it's totally unsecure & unreliable)

It looks like Godzilla muched on a pile of LEGO and consequently vomited all over a massive purple carpet. :rolleyes:

I'm a designer. Yes, I have to hate it. :p What's the point of designing your own background when you can't use it? I'll switch over to Metro once Desktop is fully gone. (It never will, corporate use + metro = nuhuh.)

iodev

Feb 14, 2014
www.iodev.science
It looks like Godzilla muched on a pile of LEGO and consequently vomited all over a massive purple carpet. :rolleyes:

I'm a designer. Yes, I have to hate it. :p What's the point of designing your own background when you can't use it? I'll switch over to Metro once Desktop is fully gone. (It never will, corporate use + metro = nuhuh.)

But you can use your own background for the start screen just install 8.1 :)

G

g33kparineeti

LOL, weaks???

Btw, Windows 8 sux!!!
Windows 7 FTW..!!!

Ph0enix_216

A little less than a week. Wanted to get a Chromebook, but I got my Win 8 machine for a bit cheaper. Hated it for a week, then loved it until I discovered how to install Ubuntu :p

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<

system.img

Feb 14, 2012
Chennai
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
I bought a new laptop (my first one! :D) and it came with Windows 8.1.

Got used to it in 2 days.

In desktop mode, which I use 95% of the time, it is almost same as Windows 7.
But what I have noticed is that it is more buggier than Win 7.

First, I tried to remove my lockscreen PIN and the settings app always crashed while doing it. It worked only after many reboots.

Hot Corners (for bringing up Charms bar and Multitask bar with a mouse) randomly stops working even when it is set to ON and only a reboot solves it (only for a short while). Very frustrating.

I've seen a few more bugs like these and many glitchy animations in Win 8.1 even with the latest patch update.

I do like some things with Win 8 like the quick bootup (this doesn't work sometimes too) and also the ability to play tablet/phone games on my laptop (I have a pretty weak phone. :()

I miss Win 7 Aero though...

Last edited:

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
Set it to boot to desktop and installed classic shell and a 7 theme. Not even a day

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

zedpentium

Dec 15, 2013
I installed classic shell for start button. And remove hot corners, and made it go to desktop right away in win 8.1

Last edited:

JamesAutumn

Aug 29, 2012
Knoxville
Not sure how this has become an issue to anyone. Win 8 is virtually the easiest one to get used to if you cater to a tablet friendly group. For a long time pc user it's still not that bad maybe like a day or 2 if you use your pc heavy and it'll be a smooth ride no prob. Just all about being patient and realizing it's a solid build with fun features even if most see them as novelty or infringing on their fanboy pc opinions.

I think the main issue is if your not 8.1 is finding the restart button and maybe messing with windows update but those can be fixed with the stardock thing or simply upgrading to 8.1

OmegaRED^

Oct 31, 2010
2 days.. and after switching to 8.1 it got better with updates.
I don't use win 8 apps or metro.