GApps on the Nook Tablet

Search This thread

anlog

May 9, 2006
Ok (after rooting) here is how I installed GApps (Market, Google Framework, etc) on the Nook Tablet, as well as the steps I took to stabilize everything...

1. Downloaded GApps package from goo-inside.me and extracted files.
2. Deleted the setupwizard.apk file from the set of extracted files (in the system\app folder).
3. Copied "system" folder from extracted files to tablet via USB.
4. Used Root Explorer to remount /system and copy files into their designated locations, and also set permissions (644) on all copied apk's in /system/app folder.
5. Rebooted.
6. Ran the market, signed in with my Google account, and downloaded/installed Superuser. Ran the binary update within the app.
7. Install any additional apps from Android Market.
8. Profit.

Known issues...

1. If setupwizard.apk ends up on your tablet you will not be happy.
2. A factory reset is recommended after installing GApps (though probably not necessary).
3. Not all apps show in the Market. Perhaps a build.prop tweak will fix this???

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Last edited:
Reactions: heliosue

trippmcnealy

May 9, 2011
Denver, CO
Anlog,

I was able to get SuperUser installed following the directions on the other discussion! Thanks for much for all your hard work.

Working on getting Google Apps installed right now.

Update: Well I have SuperUser on my Nook, but whenever I try to copy anything to \system\app it tells me I don't have permissions. Looks like I can't get root to actually run.

Last edited:

anlog

May 9, 2006
Make sure root is fully working before you try to install GApps. Use the latest ones for CM7 (I think its from August). You need to remount /system as RW before copying the files and setting permissions. Root Explorer lets you do all of that.

All of this could be done with an ADB script as well, but I won't have time to write one today. Anyone?

bkerk25

Mar 7, 2011
Finally figured out what was wrong initially, root does not seem to work unless you manually enter commands. Attempted market setup, for some reason it is still force closing every time. Any chance someone who got it working could upload exact files they used.

theundeadelvis

Oct 19, 2010
Well, I may have royally screwed up. I followed this tutorial, and I copied over the entire Apps folder from the gapps download. Now I get numerous force closes, and I have no keyboard! Any suggestion?

wfellis

Feb 12, 2011
Well, I may have royally screwed up. I followed this tutorial, and I copied over the entire Apps folder from the gapps download. Now I get numerous force closes, and I have no keyboard! Any suggestion?

I ran into issues copying the whole folder over. I am currently running the google market though.

do everything one step at a time, install the googleframework first (from the directions on the kindle page), then do the market. I ran into the first time through the market would not actually connect so I rebooted the NT.

*note*
each time you reboot your NT you need to go in and what appears is toggle the usb debugging off then on, same with the "auto mount", and I did the unknown sources as well (not sure if this is necessary). It appears a reboot resets the flags and our menu isn't actually writing the settings so you have to toggle it.

Push comes to shove, start over with fresh reboot. It took me a few times (as it probably did others as well).

JoeM01

Nov 18, 2011
ok, so can someone who is patient tell me where I need to copy the system folder? help the feeble minded, please.....

JoeM01

Nov 18, 2011
It needs go in system/apps

i'm copying from the system/apps directory (unzipped gapps files), to where on the nook?

I tried copying the files into several locations, but nada.

this is literally the last thing need to knock out for me to be set until the days of ported roms.

please. halp (lelu dallas, multipass).

RussianMenace

Oct 13, 2010
-1 Go download latest Gapps and extract the contents to your HD. There will be two folders, one of which is "system."
-2 In the system folder there will be more folders, one of which is "app." Inside of app are all the system APKs.
-3 Detele SetupWizard.apk
-4 Now copy the app folder to the root of your NT SD card via USB.
-5 Next step you need to use ADB or Root Explorer...I used Root Explorer.
-6 Open root explorer, then go to sdcard and you should see the APP folder you copied.
-7 Once there, hit menu -> multi select > then put a check mark to what you want copied then hit the copy button.
-6 now hit back untill you're back in the root
-8 Then navigate to system, and at the top you should see button "Mount RW" hit that button.
-9 Then go into the App folder, and hit paste.
-10 All the selected APKs are now in the system/app folder.
-11 Now you need to give each of the copied apps permission by long-clicking on it till a menu comes up, hit permissions, then check all the check boxes next to "Owner"
-12 After you did that to all the apps hit the "mount RO" button on top of the screen
-13 Reboot the NT.

That should do it...hopefully I havent missed anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok (after rooting) here is how I installed GApps (Market, Google Framework, etc) on the Nook Tablet, as well as the steps I took to stabilize everything...

1. Downloaded GApps package from goo-inside.me and extracted files.
    2. Deleted the setupwizard.apk file from the set of extracted files (in the system\app folder).
    3. Copied "system" folder from extracted files to tablet via USB.
    4. Used Root Explorer to remount /system and copy files into their designated locations, and also set permissions (644) on all copied apk's in /system/app folder.
    5. Rebooted.
    6. Ran the market, signed in with my Google account, and downloaded/installed Superuser. Ran the binary update within the app.
    7. Install any additional apps from Android Market.
    8. Profit.

Known issues...

1. If setupwizard.apk ends up on your tablet you will not be happy.
    2. A factory reset is recommended after installing GApps (though probably not necessary).
    3. Not all apps show in the Market. Perhaps a build.prop tweak will fix this???

Enjoy!!!
    -1 Go download latest Gapps and extract the contents to your HD. There will be two folders, one of which is "system."
    -2 In the system folder there will be more folders, one of which is "app." Inside of app are all the system APKs.
    -3 Detele SetupWizard.apk
    -4 Now copy the app folder to the root of your NT SD card via USB.
    -5 Next step you need to use ADB or Root Explorer...I used Root Explorer.
    -6 Open root explorer, then go to sdcard and you should see the APP folder you copied.
    -7 Once there, hit menu -> multi select > then put a check mark to what you want copied then hit the copy button.
    -6 now hit back untill you're back in the root
    -8 Then navigate to system, and at the top you should see button "Mount RW" hit that button.
    -9 Then go into the App folder, and hit paste.
    -10 All the selected APKs are now in the system/app folder.
    -11 Now you need to give each of the copied apps permission by long-clicking on it till a menu comes up, hit permissions, then check all the check boxes next to "Owner"
    -12 After you did that to all the apps hit the "mount RO" button on top of the screen
    -13 Reboot the NT.

That should do it...hopefully I havent missed anything.
    New 9/30 gApps works, just remember to remove setup :)
    anlong:
    Use either wireless adb found here: https://market.android.com/details?id=siir.es.adbWireless
    or use debugging toggle found here: http://code.google.com/p/secure-set.../detail?name=ADBWidget-0.2-alpha.apk&can=2&q=
    ^ instructions for that:
    Download ADBWidget.apk
    Copy ADBWidget.apk to /system/app (you can use root explorer or something.)
    Add ADBWidget to your home screen
    ok, so can someone who is patient tell me where I need to copy the system folder? help the feeble minded, please.....

lol, i have been struggling with this exact same thing. for those of us who cant fill in the blanks of the brief instructions we need an exact step by step please ;)