Galaxy S III Shipping May 2012 Update: 2012/04/23

Search This thread

pacc

Jul 16, 2008
Since 2008, I'm well aware of forum rules, of which I've broken none so far and always on-topic.
Good luck playing admin/moderator.

Toss3

May 13, 2008
Stockholm
this a forum with rules. not a chat. one rules is: don't go offtopic.

and if you want a list:

forbidden topics in this thread:

#1 Apple/iPhone vs. Samsung/Android.
#2 ...

So whaddaya all think about the iPhone 5 and how do you think it'll compare to the SGS3? :p /s

Really psyched for the May 3rd event! Wish Samsung would have given a bit more to go on with the teaser videos, because I'm really getting anxious here.

R

rd_nest

Apple's reply --

Apple's reply

rbh01g.jpg

:) :)

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
Surprised more people aren't hoping for a premium sound chip. Too much want horsepower. And I think it is all but certain that gs3 will have a Mali 604 but which one? And I hope it is 32nm. It should be a power sipper unless Samsung borks power management.

bow chicka wow wow.

Tool-kit

Mar 26, 2012
Uhm, doesn't look to convincing, the design of that phone looks :confused: ... I'm sure samsung can make the S3 look worth the wait. The design need to look a bit different, I need to see that there is a difference before I even switch the phone on.

jj03

Oct 19, 2010
Samsung has become the new apple when it comes to sheep followers. There are a lot people out there wanting to buy the next Galaxy phone just because it's the next Galaxy phone. It's funny how Samsung wants to become the same company they poke fun at.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using xda premium

says the man on the htc bandwagon...oh the irony of an idiot...lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ascariss

May 6, 2011
Gdansk
Surprised more people aren't hoping for a premium sound chip. Too much want horsepower. And I think it is all but certain that gs3 will have a Mali 604 but which one? And I hope it is 32nm. It should be a power sipper unless Samsung borks power management.

bow chicka wow wow.

This is why I still have a separate walkman and use it as my primary audio device. I've tried listening to the audio on my S2, and it still isn't that great as I would want it.

Reactions: xath23

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
We should see something completely different to the past devices hopefully to avoid all this your phone looks like an iPhone debate. Whatever gets released it should be good Samsung have always been ahead of other Android competitors recently.

Maybe we will see their own OS as well on a device? As well as an Android device. Not bada but that tizien thing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Logi_Ca1

Jun 29, 2011
This is why I still have a separate walkman and use it as my primary audio device. I've tried listening to the audio on my S2, and it still isn't that great as I would want it.

I bought a Sansa Clip Zip as well so that in the future one flaw like bad sound quality won't turn me away from an otherwise great phone. It's too bad really. Seems like only Apple cares about great sound quality from their phones.

Disclaimer: Not being an Apple fanboy here. Check out RMAA results for iPhone 4S vs Galaxy S2 and HTC One X and you will see what I'm talking about.

override182

Jun 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
override182.net
Most didnt know that smdk4x12 contains ref to wolfson but perhaps samsung might change it during production of the phone. Try gooling up wolfson and smdk4x12 and you will find it. I asked supercurio on it and he confirms it points to the version of it but that is the defaults of 4412.. We dont know either sammy changed or stick to defaults

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

xath23

Jun 24, 2011

bow chicka wow wow.

I don't care all that much because I have dedicated gadgets for music. I can't stand touch when it comes to that since I want to be able to blindly operate it while it's in my pocket. Sure I don't mind a better chipset but performance codec support etc. is more important imo.

Also most people don't have high end heaphones, so they won't be able to notice a difference anyway.

ascariss

May 6, 2011
Gdansk
I bought a Sansa Clip Zip as well so that in the future one flaw like bad sound quality won't turn me away from an otherwise great phone. It's too bad really. Seems like only Apple cares about great sound quality from their phones.

Disclaimer: Not being an Apple fanboy here. Check out RMAA results for iPhone 4S vs Galaxy S2 and HTC One X and you will see what I'm talking about.

No idea how the iphone sound quality is, never checked it. One think my walkman lacks is codec support, if the device could play flac, I would be golden. Plus the built in noise-cancellation is also a huge bonus especially on the train, or tram.

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
I don't care all that much because I have dedicated gadgets for music. I can't stand touch when it comes to that since I want to be able to blindly operate it while it's in my pocket. Sure I don't mind a better chipset but performance codec support etc. is more important imo.

Also most people don't have high end heaphones, so they won't be able to notice a difference anyway.

well, it's not just about high end headphones. some of us output to receivers and such. cheap sound vs a TI or wolfson makes a big difference.

Reactions: RexJay78

tbong777

No idea how the iphone sound quality is, never checked it. One think my walkman lacks is codec support, if the device could play flac, I would be golden. Plus the built in noise-cancellation is also a huge bonus especially on the train, or tram.

I have an Itouch 4.....Have not used it since the Captivate SGS II was not as good as the Captivate but stillon par with the Apple because of the settings one cam make with Vodoo Louder and PowerAmp. The Note is just as good as the SGS II. Goodt headphones make a difference as well. I use the Westone 3.

In the mean time the iTouch sits on an Alarm cradle and never gets used. Going to give it away like I did the iTouch before it. Don't need i anything since the SGS II

rydeordie99

Aug 16, 2011
I have an Itouch 4.....Have not used it since the Captivate SGS II was not as good as the Captivate but stillon par with the Apple because of the settings one cam make with Vodoo Louder and PowerAmp. The Note is just as good as the SGS II. Goodt headphones make a difference as well. I use the Westone 3.

In the mean time the iTouch sits on an Alarm cradle and never gets used. Going to give it away like I did the iTouch before it. Don't need i anything since the SGS II

Maybe you don't notice the difference, but everyone I've asked can easily hear the difference between an iPod touch and the s2. It is even more apparent when I run audio into aux in my car. I have to keep an old iPod touch just for music so I'm hoping the S3 fixes it

ziggazee

Jan 23, 2009
Not sure if it got mentioned before but there is an "Unpacked App" on Google Play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsungmobile.unpacked2012_1
There is not much to see there right now but the design is pretty unique, maybe thats the direction they are heading in terms of UI with the new Galaxy phones..

Thanks.. I can watch the event live on my phone now. It also says galaxy s3.. first time seeing Samsung themselves call it that, I think there's no doubt now that the phone will be called s3 and not "the next Galaxy" lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm going to amend a post from earlier. Here's the contenders for the possible SOC in the Galaxy SIII (and compared to the Exynos 4210 in the Galaxy SII).

Exynos 4210
    CPU: Dual-core Cortex A9 @ 1.2ghz
    GPU: ARM Mali 400 MP4
    Process: 45nm

Exynos 4212
    CPU: Dual-core Cortex A9 @ 1.5ghz
    GPU: Unconfirmed, believed to be ARM Mali 400 MP4 clocked 50% higher than in the 4210
    Process: 32nm
    Status: Confirmed as sampling in October 2011, should be available for shipping product around April 2012

Exynos 4412
    CPU: Quad-core Cortex A9 @ 1.5ghz
    GPU: Unconfirmed, believed to be ARM Mali T-604
    Status: Leaks show this as a possible Samsung SOC, but no official confirmation. Unknown if sampling and when general availability might be.

Exynos 5250
    CPU: Dual-core Cortex A15 @ 2.0ghz
    GPU: Unconfirmed, lead candidates are ARM Mali T-604 and PowerVR SGX544
    Status: Confirmed as sampling as of November 2011, should be available for shipping product around May 2012

-----------------------------------------------------------

With that said, I just cannot fathom Samsung using the 4212 in the Galaxy SIII. That would mean their flagship model would have a speed boost over the SII and nothing more. So, the lead candidates should be the 4412 or the 5250. The 5250 is their 2012 flagship SOC, whereas the 4412 is just a rumor at this point. But, for ****s and giggles, let's compare their theoretical performance.

Exynos 4412:
    Cores: 4
    DMIPS per clock: 2.5
    DMIPS per core: 3,750
    DMIPS total: 15,000

Exynos 5250:
    Cores: 2
    DMIPS per clock: 3.5
    DMIPS per core: 7,000
    DMIPS total: 14,000

So, the quad-core would encode 4 or more streams slightly faster than the dual-core, but in actual real-world usage, the dual-core would stomp the quad. This is because no program is 100% efficient as multi-threading. With each core you get diminishing returns. Each core in the 5250 is significantly faster than each core in the rumored 4412. Trust me, if you had to choose, you WANT the 5250.

It could be either SOC, but the hopeful side of me is saying the Exynos 5250 is the chip in the Galaxy SIII. OMAP5 will be out in the second half of 2012 and uses the same technology as the Exynos 5250. So, if the Galaxy SIII gets the 4412 instead, it will be the first time the Galaxy S series has been outclassed by another shipping product in the same calendar year.
    Quadband, HSPA+, 4.65" Super-AMOLED Plus Display, WLAN, aGPS, Gorilla-Glas, Android 4.0, Quad-Core 2 GHz, Ram 1.5 GB, 32 GB internal Memory, WLAN, Aluminium-Case, BT 3.0, 10 MP Cam Shipping May 2012

584c1fdf-90b2-ab36.jpg
    This is Fake !

Come on !!! Screen shot is Galaxy S 2, look like It has been eating lot of Cheese Burgers. .. :D
    So something official here.. News is from Economic Times, one of the most famous newspaper.. 3rd May is the Date!! Its The Official Olympics Phone!!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...all-we-know-about-it/articleshow/12715281.cms

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/rep...e-unveiled-as-official-olympics-phone_1677637

Welcome to 3 days ago.