Solution to irresponsive back/home key

Search This thread

expertzero1

Sep 28, 2011
So Cal, California
Is it now a hardware or a software problem??

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

its a hardware problem because m03sizlak said it is.

I've used adb shell # getevents to see that FREQUENTLY tehre is just no event generated when pressing the home and back buttons. It *is* a hardware problem. I've never been so annoyed, displeased, or disappoined with a phone. I'll be returning it. Even tho the model I saw in the store had the exact same problem. If my next one has same problem I'll give the ol F**K YOU to HTC and not look back.

Also, havent found a way to get software keys on it...which MAY be an acceptable alternative to broken hardware buttons

nullkill

May 19, 2007
Seattle
its a hardware problem because m03sizlak said it is.

Sorry that just isn't a fact. Just because he did not receive a value does not mean it is a hardware problem. If the software threshold is set to low to register as a detection then that's exactly what would happen and could be adjust to fix this issue. Not saying it is 100% software or hardware as we just don't know yet but most of the time unresponsive capacitive buttons is a software issue.

patato2

Mar 22, 2013
People upgrading to 1.29 said it fixed the problem

doing a bit translation from Taiwan version if you guys can't wait. not sure if I used the correct words though, hope you don't mind.

1.29.709.12(214.04MB)

1. virtual button sensitivity adjusted
2. slow motion video quality improved under low lit
3. better Beats Audio experience
4. better background noise when using headphone
5. better bluetooth device matching

some said back button issue fixed after upgrading.

Reactions: h.han

Jme369

Apr 1, 2013
doing a bit translation from Taiwan version if you guys can't wait. not sure if I used the correct words though, hope you don't mind.

1.29.709.12(214.04MB)

This is great news, and just in time, will cancel my s4 exchange.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

v3rtex

Dec 30, 2012
Great news, hopefully the next versions will get further improvements.
Cant wait for custom kernels with Sweep2wake and other features :laugh:

iliasker

Aug 11, 2011
When does the new software come to Europe does anyone know? Because this is a real problem for me

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

m03sizlak

Jun 28, 2010
Buffalo, NY

1.29.709.12(214.04MB)

I'd like to know exactly what they changed to fix this, and when it will be available to US users.

budroux

Jan 6, 2011
Calibration seemed to help on my end. Then again it was coming and going in the first place so I am not sure if it is a true fix. Anyways, this problem is only a minor deal in my humble opinion considering how awesome the rest of the phone is and I am not getting all bent out of shape. I am sure it will get fixed one way or the other...

CiDhed

May 14, 2009
St. Louis
Sorry that just isn't a fact. Just because he did not receive a value does not mean it is a hardware problem. If the software threshold is set to low to register as a detection then that's exactly what would happen and could be adjust to fix this issue. Not saying it is 100% software or hardware as we just don't know yet but most of the time unresponsive capacitive buttons is a software issue.

Thank you. I've talked to Moe on IRC. He needs to calm down about this as does everybody else. I'm sure HTC is working on a solution. I, for one, haven't noticed the problem on my phone.

dirtyhamster73

Sep 26, 2010
Wakefield, MA
Thank you. I've talked to Moe on IRC. He needs to calm down about this as does everybody else. I'm sure HTC is working on a solution. I, for one, haven't noticed the problem on my phone.

And that's exactly why you're saying we should all calm down, maybe if you were having the issue you wouldn't be saying that. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

CiDhed

May 14, 2009
St. Louis
And that's exactly why you're saying we should all calm down, maybe if you were having the issue you wouldn't be saying that. :)

I'm hoping HTC will fix the issue too. I'm not affected by it so I'm not letting emotion dictate my response to the problem like moe is doing(seriously, read his rants on IRC). I'm looking at it with a level head. There is a software update in their home country that says it addresses it. That means they are working on the problem. We already know that not all the LCD panels are the same, the same could be true with the digitizers too. That would explain why some have the problem and others don't. If they did fix it in the update then the problem might just be a calibration issue on some models of digitizers.

A fix is coming, I have no doubt that HTC will address this soon. The phone has only been released for a few days in the States and a few weeks globally.

Reactions: dirtyhamster73

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
My first HTC One had this issue within half an hour of opening the box, i believe it to be a problematic first batch, my second was overheating constantly and i'm now on my third, it doesn't get as hot as the first but still a bit too warm for my liking.

Luckily no more back button issue.

If you have this problem then i would recommend sending it back, i'm sure HTC are aware of it and it is a hardware issue and nothing to do with unlocking whatsoever, as like i said it happened to mine literally half an hour out of the box.

If a software update fixes it then great but it's still a little worrying for a brand new phone, especially one of this calibre.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

for those of you who are experiencing irresponsive back/home buttons you could try this below:

go to settings -> language&keyboard ->HTC sense input -> advanced -> calibration tool

When you're calibrating the keyboard, press the keys very lightly, after you're done you should have a better back/home key response.

At least it worked for me :) hope this helps!!!
    People upgrading to 1.29 said it fixed the problem

1.29.709.12(214.04MB)

I'm hoping HTC will fix the issue too. I'm not affected by it so I'm not letting emotion dictate my response to the problem like moe is doing(seriously, read his rants on IRC). I'm looking at it with a level head. There is a software update in their home country that says it addresses it. That means they are working on the problem. We already know that not all the LCD panels are the same, the same could be true with the digitizers too. That would explain why some have the problem and others don't. If they did fix it in the update then the problem might just be a calibration issue on some models of digitizers.

A fix is coming, I have no doubt that HTC will address this soon. The phone has only been released for a few days in the States and a few weeks globally.