★ ☆ [Kernel] NuK3RN3L | s2w+s2s | 01-21-14 | 1,900MHz | 3.0.84 | Sense/AOSP | ☆ ★

Search This thread

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
★ ☆ [Kernel] NuK3RN3L | s2w+s2s | 01-21-14 | 1,900MHz | 3.0.84 | Sense/AOSP | ☆ ★

-NuK3RN3L-

OVERCLOCKED
Edition

Now added!

Santod's Mecha ICS Sense/AOSP Kernel

santod_tardis_header6.png

DOWNLOAD:

NuK3rn3l mecha Final

sweep2wake
sweep2sleep
16 Governors
TCP Controls
Zram/Swap
Linaro
OTG
01-20-14

Use Trickster Mod to enable Wake options

You need an updated version of Busybox from the Play Store to use Trickster Mod.
Once that's installed, open it and run the installer.
Then you can install Trickster Mod, grant it su permissions, and use it to enable s2w+s2s and adjust all other kernel settings and tweaks.
Trickster Mod can be found here.

-NuK3RN3L-
stock frequencies
current build

~ or ~

NuK3RN3L-
Overclocked Edition
1,516MHz Default/Max
current build 6-25-13

+ LagFree

-NuK3RN3L-
Aosp NuK3RN3L, with working wifi on Aosp ICS and Jelly Bean.
Only use this for this one on Aosp roms. (CM9/CM10)

[URL="http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23017610006233856"]NuK3RN3L ICS/JB Aosp OC Edition

[/URL]

These have been well tested, but use at your own risk!
I am not responsible for you or your device or anything that you do to it!

Included Governors:

• SavagedZen
    lulzactive
    adaptive
    hyper
    scary
    skywalker
    brazilianwax
    fantasy
    SmartassV2
    interactive
    conservative
    userspace
    powersave
    lionheart
    ondemand
    performance

How to install:

Flash zip in Recovery
Wipe cache and Dalvik cache
Reboot

This can be flashed to any current ICS roms! ;)
Sense and AOSP!

NuK3RN3L was initially built for Sense roms, it has been confirmed to be working on Joe Black's latest CM9 build, though it needs a little camera patching...
Looks like we may have an AOSP/Sense ICS Hybrid Kernel.
On Aosp, Data and Netflix do work, camcorder not yet.
Will work on things with Joe to improve this.

I will try and update my git repo every 7-90 days until I automate it into my buildbox process...

Compiled using the 4.4.3 gcc toolchain.
Big thanks to my buddy Ziggy for his help and inspiration.
XXPachaXX for his work on msm7x30
Flemmard for his work on msm7x30
Also to HTC for finally releasing the source code...
HTCDEV Source files: my copy

Last edited:

santod040

Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
FAQ:

Hopefully this answers some common questions.
I will add to this as kernel changes are made.

On UnSenseROM Jelato, there is a script in /system/etc/init.d called 00_vdd_levels if I recall the name exactly.
It's essentially a text file that should be either deleted, or remove the ## from the name of it so it doesn't run at boot.

Then whatever app is used to control governors and clock speeds will not get reset upon rebooting, whether you use the built in CPU Controls or No Frills, etc,..
On my other roms, the same rule applies, if there is a script in /system/etc/init.d with vdd levels in the name, remove it or rename it.

On NuSenseX ROM you should be careful touching anything in init.d, or you could break your wifi connection.
Soon, I intend to have kernels that will be baked into each rom, and there will be no need to concern oneself with any of this, and it's really nothing of much concern anyhow.
But I think that about covers most cases...

____

GOVERNORS

1) Ondemand:
Default governor in almost all stock kernels.
One main goal of the ondemand governor is to switch to max frequency as soon as there is a CPU activity detected to ensure the responsiveness of the system.
Effectively, it uses the CPU busy time as the answer to "how critical is performance right now" question.
So Ondemand jumps to maximum frequency when CPU is busy and decreases the frequency gradually when CPU is less loaded/apporaching idle.
Even though many of us consider this a reliable governor, it falls short on battery saving and performance on default settings.
One potential reason for ondemand governor being not very power efficient is that the governor decide the next target frequency by instant requirement during sampling interval.
The instant requirement can respond quickly to workload change, but it does not usually reflect workloads real CPU usage requirement in a short enough time and it may cause it to frequently change between highest and lowest frequency.

2) Conservative:
A slower Ondemand which scales up slowly to save battery.
The conservative governor is based on the ondemand governor.
It functions like the Ondemand governor by dynamically adjusting frequencies based on processor utilization.
However, the conservative governor increases and decreases CPU speed more gradually.
Simply put, this governor increases the frequency step by step on CPU load and jumps to lowest frequency on CPU idle.
Conservative governor aims to dynamically adjust the CPU frequency to current utilization, without jumping to max frequency.
The sampling_down_factor value acts as a negative multiplier of sampling_rate to reduce the frequency that the scheduler samples the CPU utilization.
For example, if sampling_rate equal to 20,000 and sampling_down_factor is 2, the governor samples the CPU utilization every 40,000 microseconds.

3) Interactive:
(currently my recommended governor for best overall battery and performance)
Can be considered a faster ondemand. So - more snappier, less battery!
Interactive is designed for latency-sensitive, interactive workloads.
Instead of sampling at every interval like ondemand, it determines how to scale up when CPU comes out of idle.
The governor has the following advantages:
1) More consistent ramping, because existing governors do their CPU load sampling in a workqueue context, but interactive governor does this in a timer context, which gives more consistent CPU load sampling.
2) Higher priority for CPU frequency increase, thus giving the remaining tasks the CPU performance benefit, unlike existing governors which schedule ramp-up work to occur after your performance starved tasks have completed.
Interactive - It's an intelligent Ondemand because of stability optimizations. Why??
Sampling the CPU load every X ms (like Ondemand) can lead to under-powering the CPU for X ms, leading to dropped frames, stuttering UI, etc.
Instead of sampling the CPU at a specified rate, the interactive governor will check whether to scale the CPU frequency up soon after coming out of idle.
When the CPU comes out of idle, a timer is configured to fire within 1-2 ticks.
If the CPU is very busy between exiting idle and when the timer fires, then we assume the CPU is underpowered and ramp to max frequency.

4) Userspace:
Instead of automatically determining frequencies, lets user set frequencies.

5) Powersave:
Locks max frequency to min frequency.
Can not be used as a screen-on or even screen-off (if scaling min frequency is too low).

6) Performance:
Sets min frequency to max frequency.
Use this while benchmarking!

7)
SmartassV2:

Version 2 of the original smartass governor from Erasmux. Another favorite for many a people.
The governor aim for an "ideal frequency", and ramp up more aggressively towards this freq and less aggressive after.
It uses different ideal frequencies for screen on and screen off, namely awake_ideal_freq and sleep_ideal_freq.
This governor scales down CPU very fast (to hit sleep_ideal_freq soon) while screen is off and scales up rapidly to awake_ideal_freq (500 mhz for GS2 by default) when screen is on.
There's no upper limit for frequency while screen is off (unlike Smartass).
So the entire frequency range is available for the governor to use during screen-on and screen-off state.
The motto of this governor is another option for balance between performance and battery.

8) Lulzactive:
Basically interactive governor with added smartass bits and variable (as opposed to fixed amout) frequency scaling, based on currently occuring cpu loads.
Like smartass, it has a sleep profile built-in.

9) Lagfree:
Lagfree is similar to ondemand. Main difference is it's optimization to become more battery friendly. Frequency is gracefully decreased and increased, unlike ondemand which jumps to 100% too often. Lagfree does not skip any frequency step while scaling up or down. Remember that if there's a requirement for sudden burst of power, lagfree can not satisfy that since it has to raise cpu through each higher frequency step from current. Some users report that video playback using lagfree stutters a little.

____

So, Governors can be categorized into 3/4 on a high level:
1.a) Ondemand Based:

Works on "ramp-up on high load" principle. CPU busy-time is taken into consideration for scaling decisions.
Members: Ondemand, OndemandX, Intellidemand, Lazy, Lagfree.

1.b) Conservative Based:

Members: Conservative, Lionheart, LionheartX

2) Interactive Based:

Works on "make scaling decision when CPU comes out of idle-loop" principle.
Members: Interactive, InteractiveX, Lulzactive, Luzactiveq, Smartass, SmartassV2, Brazilianwax, SavagedZen.

3) Weird Category:
Members: Userspace, Powersave, Performance.

___

Changelog:

__

Updated 1,516 OC'd Edition!
Added Governors:
LagFree
Lulzactive
SmartassV2
7 more modules built in

Added 1,516 OC'd Edition!
Adjusted cpu frequency tables
Adjusted voltages
Enabled 1,516 MHz Overclock as Default

Powersave governor added for those of you trying to squeeze more out of the battery, or only using the device on wifi.

Interactive governor added for better response time, keyboard reaction, etc,..

Last edited:
Reactions: Green_Laser

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I'm not trying to be rude to anyone but let's keep the feature requests to a minimum until he gets the more important aspects worked out. There is a lot of testing going on with just what this kernel can do as we speak. I'm sure once things calm down the other features can be implemented.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Green_Laser

arizonaomnia

May 29, 2009
Says AOSP in the title. Can this be used with the CM9 in this thread?

Sent from my NusenseX Bolt using Tapatalk 2

santod040

Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
Says AOSP in the title. Can this be used with the CM9 in this thread?

This can be flashed to any current ICS roms!
Sense and AOSP!

NuK3RN3L was initially built for Sense roms, it has been confirmed to be working on Joe Black's latest CM9 build, though it needs a little camera patching...
On Aosp, Data and Netflix BOTH work, camcorder not yet.

arizonaomnia

May 29, 2009
This can be flashed to any current ICS roms!
Sense and AOSP!

On Aosp, Data and Netflix BOTH work, camcorder not yet.

Anyone know if it fixes the Gmail whiteout? I can live without the camcorder but the Gmail thing was too much.

namurt

Jun 1, 2011
Philadelphia
i flashed both the stock and oc'd versions of this kernel over joe black's cm9 (which was also clean flashed... even wiped my sd) and wifi isn't working. it flat out won't turn on.

i don't have my tbolt in service anymore, so without wifi, i can't use it at all. wifi worked with the included kernel on joe's cm9 rom.

i'm a little pressed for time at the moment, but if a logcat would be helpful, lemme know and i'll post one when i'm back from vacation at the end of the upcoming week.

santod040

Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
i flashed both the stock and oc'd versions of this kernel over joe black's cm9 (which was also clean flashed... even wiped my sd) and wifi isn't working. it flat out won't turn on.

i don't have my tbolt in service anymore, so without wifi, i can't use it at all. wifi worked with the included kernel on joe's cm9 rom.

i'm a little pressed for time at the moment, but if a logcat would be helpful, lemme know and i'll post one when i'm back from vacation at the end of the upcoming week.

Yeah that's a known issue with flashing it seperate.
There's a couple things not included in the kernel zip, that have to be changed Rom side.
These changes are easily made and Joe should have an update posted soon with this kernel in it and the needed Rom files to have WiFi working.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
It's just become known it would work as well as it does.
Fixes and improvements to his Rom and this kernel are coming.
If he doesn't have it up soon, I'll post a patch for using this on his Rom.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Reactions: jfp2004 and namurt

namurt

Jun 1, 2011
Philadelphia
sweet jesus, you are one amazing dev!

that was a lightning quick response, hah.

it's so nice to see our bastard child of a device still getting some love. :)

Reactions: quickdraw86

arizonaomnia

May 29, 2009
NuK3RN3L is also now booting with AOSP JellyBean.
Stay Tuned!!!!

Screenshot_2013-06-23-01-54-57.png

You know....if you WANTED to....you know, just for sh1ts and giggles.....you COULD post the version of this without working data, just to give a preview and let people play with it. I remember that Liquid did something similar with an early build of OCS for the Thunderbolt. Or not. Whatever you want to do is fine, of course.

*drooling*

quickdraw86

Feb 1, 2012
Harrisburg, SD
sweet jesus, you are one amazing dev!

that was a lightning quick response, hah.

it's so nice to see our bastard child of a device still getting some love. :)

Yep, santod is the man, no doubt about it.

This device launched more than 2 years ago with froyo, was upgraded to gingerbread, eventually got ICS, and may yet see unofficial jellybean!? That's an amazing run for any phone IMHO.

Last edited:

Green_Laser

May 7, 2013
Yep, santod is the man, no doubt about it.

This device launched more than 2 years ago with froyo, was upgraded to gingerbread, eventually got ICS, and may yet see unofficial jellybean!? That's an amazing run for any phone IMHO.

+1
Santod, Chief Executive Officer

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-NuK3RN3L-

OVERCLOCKED
    Edition

Now added!

Santod's Mecha ICS Sense/AOSP Kernel

santod_tardis_header6.png

DOWNLOAD:

NuK3rn3l mecha Final

sweep2wake
    sweep2sleep
    16 Governors
    TCP Controls
    Zram/Swap
    Linaro
    OTG
    01-20-14

Use Trickster Mod to enable Wake options

You need an updated version of Busybox from the Play Store to use Trickster Mod.
    Once that's installed, open it and run the installer.
    Then you can install Trickster Mod, grant it su permissions, and use it to enable s2w+s2s and adjust all other kernel settings and tweaks.
    Trickster Mod can be found here.

-NuK3RN3L-
    stock frequencies
    current build

~ or ~

NuK3RN3L-
    Overclocked Edition
    1,516MHz Default/Max
    current build 6-25-13

+ LagFree

-NuK3RN3L-
    Aosp NuK3RN3L, with working wifi on Aosp ICS and Jelly Bean.
    Only use this for this one on Aosp roms. (CM9/CM10)

[URL="http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23017610006233856"]NuK3RN3L ICS/JB Aosp OC Edition

[/URL]

These have been well tested, but use at your own risk!
    I am not responsible for you or your device or anything that you do to it!

Included Governors:

• SavagedZen
      lulzactive
      adaptive
      hyper
      scary
      skywalker
      brazilianwax
      fantasy
      SmartassV2
      interactive
      conservative
      userspace
      powersave
      lionheart
      ondemand
      performance

How to install:

Flash zip in Recovery
    Wipe cache and Dalvik cache
    Reboot

This can be flashed to any current ICS roms! ;)
    Sense and AOSP!

On Aosp, Data and Netflix do work, camcorder not yet.

I will try and update my git repo every 7-90 days until I automate it into my buildbox process...

Compiled using the 4.4.3 gcc toolchain.
    Big thanks to my buddy Ziggy for his help and inspiration.
    XXPachaXX for his work on msm7x30
    Flemmard for his work on msm7x30
    Also to HTC for finally releasing the source code...
    HTCDEV Source files: my copy

Just tried the new kernel for CM9 and wireless tether is not working as well as USB mass storage mode. Anyone else having an issue with either of these? I wiped cache and dalvik but didn't do a full wipe because I'm lazy and didn't want to have to set everything back up, is that the issue?

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

The issue is, you are dealing with a brand new kernel, built from actual ICS source for the Thunderbolt.
    Whereas, CM9, was compiled and patched to work with older existing GB source.
    So, you will have some things on the current CM9 build which was made before source, that won't work due to the built in GB source, such as the camcorder not functioning, funky Ril connections, Netflix..etc.
    Whereas with the new kernel Netflix works, display is smoother, data/ril should get better, as more builds are made working the source into them as well.
    Can't have a rom compiled using blobs from GB, to work on ICS and then use the proper source to make a kernel and expect it to fix everything.(may be a good Q. for rom thread)
    The rom now has to be redone essentially in order to fully utilize this new kernel for everything it offers.
    As of right now, it's a trade off to use either kernel, some stuff will be broken either way.
    Things all need to be dialed into the new source, until that happens, you are looking at a properly compiled ICS/JB kernel on a ICS/GB rom.
    I'm sure once CM9 is reworked, it should all come together much better. Been talking with Joe about this.
    That is the issue, if that helps explain all these little questions at this point in time. I hope that it does.

Let me know. :)
    There are other full ICS roms here as well...which work quite well with it.

Not self promoting, just stating facts, in case anyone is interested and maybe unaware.
    NuK3RN3L is also now booting with AOSP JellyBean.
    Stay Tuned!!!!

Screenshot_2013-06-23-01-54-57.png
    Congrats on RLS brosif :) these guys are lucky you are still carrying the infected flame for this phone !!!!
    I think that's a great idea! I would love to see any updates or news on the JB development. Alpha and Beta releases could be an added bonus.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

There's not much point in doing that at this stage.
    There was a preview posted.
    I don't think a thread full of questions or ETA requests will help much.
    There is a thread HERE regarding status, but it's not something any of us that are working on it started, or are going to be updating regularly.
    There's not much to report regarding status on any regular basis anyways.
    It can pretty well be summed up by saying, everything works except radio(data,sms,calls,etc) at this point.
    When/if that gets resolved, it will be ready for consumption.
    Not a lot to talk about until then, as far as progress.
    I'm sure the hours and miles of logs we have would just bore everyone to death anyways.
    Trust me, it's being worked on by several of us and many many many hours have been poured into it already.
    When it's done, everyone not hiding under a rock will know.

As was mentioned when the preview was posted, there was no desire to make a thread for it or to do a lot of discussion based on it.
    It was just something for everyone to play with while they wait.