Votes: 22 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

imabigd

Jul 17, 2010
Ok all,

I have been following the updated guide (V1.5 - many thanks to TopSnake for putting this together and updating). I have completed all the steps successfully up to slapmymoto.

As when I was trying to get back to rooted 12.15.15 using SlapMyMoto earlier as a pre-requisite to starting the guide, ADB, inexplicably would not push the slapmymoto.jar file onto the root of the device. It's really bugging me that I can't get this to work, but I just moved it manually - no problem.

I went through round one of SlapMyMoto - with Telnet/Impactor - everything went fine. I am given the message to "After reboot, please apply the OTA then continue following the guide - Rebooting shortly"

Round 2 involved rebooting via ADB command into recovery. At this stage I get the android character on his back with a red/orange triangle on his belly. At this point I am instructed to "tap power and volume up at the same time" in order to get to the recovery menu. Each attempt at this just causes my phone to reboot, and I don't get into recovery mode. I feel too that now I have gotten out of cycle with the SlapMyMoto process since after the second reboot I should have gone into recovery to install the 4.4 OTA (update.zip) and now I've rebooted several times trying to get to recovery mode.

As always, any insight into what I may have done (or am doing) wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Screen_Shot_2014_01_20_at_7_21_20_PM.png

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hu
Ok all,

I have been following the updated guide (V1.5 - many thanks to TopSnake for putting this together and updating). I have completed all the steps successfully up to slapmymoto.

As when I was trying to get back to rooted 12.15.15 using SlapMyMoto earlier as a pre-requisite to starting the guide, ADB, inexplicably would not push the slapmymoto.jar file onto the root of the device. It's really bugging me that I can't get this to work, but I just moved it manually - no problem.

I went through round one of SlapMyMoto - with Telnet/Impactor - everything went fine. I am given the message to "After reboot, please apply the OTA then continue following the guide - Rebooting shortly"

Round 2 involved rebooting via ADB command into recovery. At this stage I get the android character on his back with a red/orange triangle on his belly. At this point I am instructed to "tap power and volume up at the same time" in order to get to the recovery menu. Each attempt at this just causes my phone to reboot, and I don't get into recovery mode. I feel too that now I have gotten out of cycle with the SlapMyMoto process since after the second reboot I should have gone into recovery to install the 4.4 OTA (update.zip) and now I've rebooted several times trying to get to recovery mode.

As always, any insight into what I may have done (or am doing) wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Youre sure you flashed back to 12.15.15 correctly? When you get to the android with the triangle you need to hold the power button and tap the volume up button. That should send you into recovery.

Edit- so so sorry. Its hold volume up and tap power button. My apologies
Sent from my KitKat Ultra

Last edited:

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Ok all,

Hu

Youre sure you flashed back to 12.15.15 correctly? When you get to the android with the triangle you need to hold the power button and tap the volume up button. That should send you into recovery.

Edit- so so sorry. Its hold volume up and tap power button. My apologies

That is odd that it is rebooting you. And you are not off the path. As long as you stay in the current state you are good regardless of the number of reboots. Try casey's method and see if that helps.

Maxx'd out Kit Kat

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
Ok all,

You get it?

imabigd

Jul 17, 2010
Thanks for the quick replies. Indeed, I was pressing the wrong combination of buttons. The guide instructed to tap power up and volume at the same time which is what I was doing.

After a quick food break, I'm moving ahead and installing the the update.zip (OTA update).

You get it?

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Thanks for the quick replies. Indeed, I was pressing the wrong combination of buttons. The guide instructed to tap power up and volume at the same time which is what I was doing.

After a quick food break, I'm moving ahead and installing the the update.zip (OTA update).

Very well. Will update the guide for clarification soon.

Maxx'd out Kit Kat

jaydotelloh

Apr 23, 2010
Soooo... someone please help me! I FXZ'd to to the 12.15.15 file and it appears to have completely wiped my phone. I had done a titanium back up in preparation, but did not expect to lose user data as well! Is this normal? Is it recoverable? Am I an idiot and should have known better!??!?

imabigd

Jul 17, 2010
Just a quick note to say that I have successfully run through the guide and am now rooted on 4.4.

Thanks to jcase for the exploit, Topsnake for the guide and everyone else in the thread who chimed in when I had an issue.

Topsnake, I have a suggestion for additional clarification regarding the second step of the SlapMyMoto Recovery. Here is the revised wording in case this helps (and you haven't already done this):

Once in recovery (android on its back) you must hold the volume up button and tap the power button. This will cause the recovery menu to appear. Then navigate with the volume toggle to “install update from sdcard” and navigate to the update.zip file we copied earlier. Select install.

Note: On the first command to install the update, the phone will install the new recovery and will not continue (it will boot back to the android lying on it's back). Once you see the new recovery is installed, you will need to hold the volume up and tap the power button again to enter recovery and from there re-select the update and install it to complete the install. After this is done (you will see a message to reboot the system now) follow the prompts in recover to reboot the phone.

Also, when renaming the OTA 4.4 file, the guide instructs to rename the zip file update.zip. But since the file is already a zip executable, that actually ends up naming the file update.zip.zip. I would suggest renaming to just update.

Thanks again.

ImaBigD

Reactions: quintonql

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
Just a quick note to say that I have successfully run through the guide and am now rooted on 4.4.

Thanks to jcase for the exploit, Topsnake for the guide and everyone else in the thread who chimed in when I had an issue.

Topsnake, I have a suggestion for additional clarification regarding the second step of the SlapMyMoto Recovery. Here is the revised wording in case this helps (and you haven't already done this):

Once in recovery (android on its back) you must hold the volume up button and tap the power button. This will cause the recovery menu to appear. Then navigate with the volume toggle to “install update from sdcard” and navigate to the update.zip file we copied earlier. Select install.

Note: On the first command to install the update, the phone will install the new recovery and will not continue (it will boot back to the android lying on it's back). Once you see the new recovery is installed, you will need to hold the volume up and tap the power button again to enter recovery and from there re-select the update and install it to complete the install. After this is done (you will see a message to reboot the system now) follow the prompts in recover to reboot the phone.

Also, when renaming the OTA 4.4 file, the guide instructs to rename the zip file update.zip. But since the file is already a zip executable, that actually ends up naming the file update.zip.zip. I would suggest renaming to just update.

Thanks again.

ImaBigD

Awesome. Glad you you got it working. Glad this forum was of great assistance.

jaydotelloh

Apr 23, 2010
Well, looks like I messed up somewhere and the last ADB command (echo "/data/local/tmp/install.sh" > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper) will not take and is giving a permission denied error.

Am i correct in assuming that there is no current way to flash back to 4.2.2 to start over?

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Well, looks like I messed up somewhere and the last ADB command (echo "/data/local/tmp/install.sh" > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper) will not take and is giving a permission denied error.

Am i correct in assuming that there is no current way to flash back to 4.2.2 to start over?
So it looks like one of two things happened.

1) You didn't run MotoWPNoMo
2) You did run it, but it failed and you didn't do the verification command to ensure that it ran successfully.

Sounds like write protection is not disabled. Run this command via adb and report the result

Code:
adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect

jaydotelloh

Apr 23, 2010
So it looks like one of two things happened.

1) You didn't run MotoWPNoMo
2) You did run it, but it failed and you didn't do the verification command to ensure that it ran successfully.

Sounds like write protection is not disabled. Run this command via adb and report the result

Code:
adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect

I have write protection off. I realize exactly what I did after I did it though. I only did the telnet command once before installing the update.zip. stupid mistake on my part, but that's what I get for messing with this stuff after midnight.

Is there any way to fix this yet?

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011

Thanks again.

ImaBigD

Glad it worked for you! Changes accepted and merged. File updated.

I have write protection off. I realize exactly what I did after I did it though. I only did the telnet command once before installing the update.zip. stupid mistake on my part, but that's what I get for messing with this stuff after midnight.

Is there any way to fix this yet?

Ahh yes, we must fully read and double check all steps are done. We only get one shot at this. As far as rooting unrooted 4.4, at this time its not possible

Reactions: NWKENT

jaydotelloh

Apr 23, 2010
Glad it worked for you! Changes accepted and merged. File updated.

Ahh yes, we must fully read and double check all steps are done. We only get one shot at this. As far as rooting unrooted 4.4, at this time its not possible

Yep, I'm a dumbass... Looks like I'm living the stock life until the next exploit is out (aka when the next OTA is pushed). I will only miss the tethering and quick settings tweaks for now. But I'm slightly concerned what will happen once the ota comes and I hit accept on it.

Also, might I suggest you put a warning in about the fxz file wiping all user data? Im not totally sure, but can the XML file be modified to remove that line? In any case, I really only lost my app data (level 275 in candy crush!!!!!!) And all my titanium backups. Since I back my photos and stuff up to g+ I was at least able to get that back.

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Yep, I'm a dumbass... Looks like I'm living the stock life until the next exploit is out (aka when the next OTA is pushed). I will only miss the tethering and quick settings tweaks for now. But I'm slightly concerned what will happen once the ota comes and I hit accept on it.

Also, might I suggest you put a warning in about the fxz file wiping all user data? Im not totally sure, but can the XML file be modified to remove that line? In any case, I really only lost my app data (level 275 in candy crush!!!!!!) And all my titanium backups. Since I back my photos and stuff up to g+ I was at least able to get that back.

Since you are stock you can run the 4.4 fxz and eliminate the system changes that were made if any. added the warning, I figured it was common knowledge but I am looking to make it bulletproof.

Maxx'd out Kit Kat

Last edited:

codkill

Dec 25, 2007
This guide was perfect and I really appreciate the time put into it. I'm successfully rooted on 4.4 and with Xposed, this phone is amazing.
However, this is the first time I've had a phone with a locked bootloader, so I'm not used to having no TWRP/CWM for backups/safety net. Is there any way to make backups without those tools? And if not, are any steps necessary after performing a factory reset to maintain root, or is it permanent until an FXZ flash/OTA?

nubia11

Nov 2, 2011
This guide was perfect and I really appreciate the time put into it. I'm successfully rooted on 4.4 and with Xposed, this phone is amazing.
However, this is the first time I've had a phone with a locked bootloader, so I'm not used to having no TWRP/CWM for backups/safety net. Is there any way to make backups without those tools? And if not, are any steps necessary after performing a factory reset to maintain root, or is it permanent until an FXZ flash/OTA?

Have you tried safestrap?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Here's a link

http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/downloads/safestrap/

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts