[4.4.x][OFFICIAL][NIGHTLIES][UNIFIED][jflte] Omni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Gandalf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
ok looks like mpdecision boostsocket should be working; i'm doing some testing before i merge anything; this will clear up a lot of the minor lag/choppiness that we're seeing with general use as well as clean up all of the touch_boost logcat spam you guys are seeing.

HDR and stuff like that is going to wait for Camera2 project to be rebased on the newer CAF kk_3.5 branch, which in turn should fix up the slow camera capture ( basically ZSL will be working properly once that happens) and HDR stuff for Samsung hardware will slip right in.

keep checking back as i'll be updating here and in the G+ community as more stuff happens

pieceofphil

Jun 2, 2013
Augsburg
My display stays on when charging phone turned off and the battery animation seems to be stuck...
Is this common issue or is something wrong?

Also a few pages there was a conversation about custom kernels but as now they don't seem to support omni.. At least the two I tried which where stating AOSP or omni support or versions

Thanks

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk

twcobra

i'll take a look soon, was it working on any previous nightlies?

again, LOGS LOGS LOGS!

they are REQUIRED when posting bugs!!! this is in the OP as well

I understand if you're trying to see if it's just you that's having the issue, but either way, it makes everything easier with logcats, etc.
:highfive:

with what charger? keep in mind, different chargers offer different power outputs that will greatly affect the charging rate. I'm not having any issues with the stock samsung one that it came with.

Also, the camera preview freeze is a Camera2 issue. If you MUST use the stock camera, you can pull the Camera2.apk from another ROM (cyanogenmod, etc.) for now until it's fixed. Basically i'm not putting too much time into this right now because:

1. I have 3 finals this week
  2. we will be rebasing the packages/apps/Camera2 repository to the new caf kk_3.5 branch, which should clear up this issue without any additional work.

I do have it narrowed down to 5 commits, so once i find which one fixes it, i'll push it up (unless we rebase first)
The camera was killing my battery as well but no big. I uninstalled and went with Camera Zoom. Other than the camera bug already on your plate to fix the Rom is running very smooth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
My display stays on when charging phone turned off and the battery animation seems to be stuck...
Is this common issue or is something wrong?

Also a few pages there was a conversation about custom kernels but as now they don't seem to support omni.. At least the two I tried which where stating AOSP or omni support or versions

Thanks

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk

which 2 did you try? I'll take a look in their source and see if they've got the right stuff

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I've tried Alucard (not the newest version since it was a week from now I tried) had graphical glitches but booted I think

and Ktoons kernel which didn't even boot

both AOSP versions

Yeah jake stated a couple pages back that in order for a custom kernel to work on omni, kernel devs have to remove some gfx driver related commits. But those commits would break the kernel for other ROMs so kernel devs would need to build a seperate release that's omni compatible, like they do for GE/AOSP/TW.

pieceofphil

Jun 2, 2013
Augsburg
Yeah jake stated a couple pages back that in order for a custom kernel to work on omni, kernel devs have to remove some gfx driver related commits. But those commits would break the kernel for other ROMs so kernel devs would need to build a seperate release that's omni compatible, like they do for GE/AOSP/TW.
thank you that was the part I didn't really understand

so for now no custom kernel I guess

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
thank you that was the part I didn't really understand

so for now no custom kernel I guess
yes for now no custom kernels. I misread your post and I thought there were kernels with omni variants. there's just way too much stuff that's needed to have the gpu2 drivers work properly and the omni core guys won't merge it so I dropped the issue altogether and we have to settle as is for now.

there are talks of rebasing to newer caf repos, at which point I'll look into this again

pieceofphil

Jun 2, 2013
Augsburg
yes for now no custom kernels. I misread your post and I thought there were kernels with omni variants. there's just way too much stuff that's needed to have the gpu2 drivers work properly and the omni core guys won't merge it so I dropped the issue altogether and we have to settle as is for now.

there are talks of rebasing to newer caf repos, at which point I'll look into this again
Sry that I write again, but the cause why I'm searching for another kernel still is that charging with power off doesn't seem to work at least for me.

The phone charges but the screen stays on and only a battery loading animation which is stuck is shown and the screen won't turn off like it should.

is this known bug or is my kernel somewhat broken....?

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Sry that I write again, but the cause why I'm searching for another kernel still is that charging with power off doesn't seem to work at least for me.

The phone charges but the screen stays on and only a battery loading animation which is stuck is shown and the screen won't turn off like it should.

is this known bug or is my kernel somewhat broken....?

known issue.
I'm working on getting custom kernels working right now, so i'm putting everything else off until this is done. basically needing to get all the missing stuff from CAF into frameworks_av. total nightmare.

Reactions: pieceofphil

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
https://plus.google.com/101979049437785027733/posts/jLcBrryaHJe

Thanks for working so hard for all us S4 users on this ROM. Regardless of the issues you're running into it's still a great running option for us.

We'll be here when things finally get caught up!

Thanks again.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thanks to Entropy giving me a kickstart to the knowledge bucket, the next nightly (maybe the next, next nightly depending how quickly I can get this submitted) will have full custom kernel support back, and the updated gpu/adreno drivers as well

I *HIGHLY* recommend doing a full wipe for this one

@bobbarker2 i know you were asking about this before^

Last edited:
Reactions: pieceofphil

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks to giving me a kickstart to the knowledge bucket, the next nightly (maybe the next, next nightly depending how quickly I can get this submitted) will have full custom kernel support back, and the updated gpu/adreno drivers as well

I *HIGHLY* recommend doing a full wipe for this one

@bobbarker2 i know you were asking about this before^

/me does a happy dance.

But I'm confused, the G+ post says you're stopping development for the S4 but nightlies are still coming? Can't wait to run Omni with Alucard's kernel!

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
/me does a happy dance.

But I'm confused, the G+ post says you're stopping development for the S4 but nightlies are still coming? Can't wait to run Omni with Alucard's kernel!

No i was just going to stop updating it until this was figured out. conveniently we just figured it out, lol

running ChronicKernel:

nSCZsJYm

Last edited:

arifqur

Nov 12, 2005
Wow. That is great news. Both that you figured it out and that you are continuing developing for jflte. Thanks awfully for all your hard work

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
here's a build i just made with the updated gpu drivers, meaning you can use custom kernels on this one until the nightlies are up to speed

http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=6934

I'm still working on narrowing down exactly which specific commits in the repo are required, but i'll make sure to let you guys know as soon as the nightlies have them merged. until then, I can just post nightly builds in here for you guys with the required changes :good:

Oh yea, and with the audio HAL , hotword detection works again :highfive:

so to my knowledge:

TO-DO:
  • HDR (will probably wait for the camera to be rebased)
  • You tell me?!?

Last edited:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Very cool we can use different kernels now thanks @jakew02 !

Is it Omni that's compiled in SaberMod? I can't recall and for some reason not having good luck on Omni site either... Just wondering.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

arifqur

Nov 12, 2005
The home made version working well with Alucard's kernel.
Thanks Dude. This is a brilliant rom

dafonehacker

Dec 19, 2013
On launcher3 the Google search box is just Grey with no text or mic icon. It does work when you tap it in the right space though . I don't think this is device specific as I have seen other people report it and it also happened to me on aokp and paranoid Android, but it looks like it is fixed in PA 4.4 rc2. I used local extreme on the latest Omni nightly to see what it does, but I can't seem to find anything strange, so I can't provide logs now. Do you think it can be fixed soon? It's actually the only quirk holding me back from using Omni as daily drive :) (using cm now)

Edit: BTW I'm using latest PA gapps full package, but it also happens when no gapps are installed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sorry, i've been VERY busy.

UPDATES:

Jake announced a while ago he was planning on dropping jflte due to lack of time.

He wound up unable to sell his jflte, so there's a chance that if he has time it'll get support, but in general, lack of time is proving to be a major issue for many of us. We're way behind as a result... Many of us have non-Android stuff going on, some of us are in the process of planning some Android-related stuff that is causing delays now but will hopefully have positive benefits in the long run. One thing being discussed is a few projects getting together to create a project dedicated to hardware support, strictly limited to only hardware stuff. Other projects could use that project as a base. (In some ways, we had visions of something like this with Omni, but as we didn't strictly limit scope to hardware, we sort of became "just another project" with the main benefit being we coordinated with other projects much better than in the past.)

yea, just to confirm, i WILL be working on galaxy s4.

I have put it on hold until I finish my note 10 kernel, but i just finished the last of the file merges, and now will begin the endless compilation error from merge derps healing process.

But to clarify to everyone: THERE WILL BE android-5.0 for galaxy s4 jflte QUALCOMM VARIANTS ONLY (sorry exynos)

Kernel merge complete for note 10(2014) , just need to fix it up and I'll start on jflte. :good:
    DO NOT post in this thread until you have read the first three posts and last two pages of this thread in their entirety!

"Me Too" posts for known issues with no useful debugging information WILL BE REPORTED.

What is Omni?

Omni Gerrit Review

OmniLog - changelog

Disclaimer
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
     */

ROM:
    Omni for Samsung Galaxy S 4

Gapps:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942
    (recommend the MODULAR FULL package, however, keep in mind that the STOCK package is intended for Nexus devices)

UPDATE FROM VARIANT OMNI BUILD TO UNIFIED BUILD
    Backup your apps and other pertinent data and DO A FULL WIPE.
    Don't complain about it. Just do it. If you try to post bug reports or complaints and you have not conducted a wipe of:
    • /system
    • /data
    • /cache
    • /dalvik
      I will completely and utterly ignore you, as well as report your post for not reading the clearly posted rules at the top of this post.

UPDATE FROM OMNI VIA OPEN DELTA UPDATER
    Settings -> System Updates -> Check for update
    You will NOT need to wipe anything with the delta updates unless it is explicitly stated or you start having strange issues.

Omni only supports TWRP recovery, use any alternate recovery at your own risk.

Kernel Source: https://github.com/omnirom/android_kernel_samsung_jf

XDA:DevDB Information
    Omni for Galaxy S4, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    jakew02, xplodwild
    Source Code: http://www.github.com/omnirom/

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information

Created 2014-05-28
    Last Updated 2015-04-20
    next 4.4 nightly will be fixed.

hoping to have 5.1 builds ready soon, just need to fix some stuff, but mostly everything is working on them.
    here's a build i just made with the updated gpu drivers, meaning you can use custom kernels on this one until the nightlies are up to speed

http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=6934

I'm still working on narrowing down exactly which specific commits in the repo are required, but i'll make sure to let you guys know as soon as the nightlies have them merged. until then, I can just post nightly builds in here for you guys with the required changes :good:

Oh yea, and with the audio HAL , hotword detection works again :highfive:

so to my knowledge:

TO-DO:
    • HDR (will probably wait for the camera to be rebased)
    • You tell me?!?
    I am dropping support for jflte once L source is released. I have too much going on with 18 credits per semester and my other projects.

The device trees and everything will remain on github and gerrit so if a brave souls decides to take the challenge of bringing the device up, the tools are available for you.