Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,503 Members 37,558 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone build a ROM for me?

Tip us?

prbassplayer
Old
Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 11,709

DONATE TO ME
Building a rom from source is near impossible to do on windows. Taking a Manufacture's rom and modifying it can be done on windows (mostly).

Note: If thread turns in to flame war I will lock.

mtnlion
Old
Thanks Meter 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbassplayer View Post
Building a rom from source is near impossible to do on windows. Taking a Manufacture's rom and modifying it can be done on windows (mostly).

Note: If thread turns in to flame war I will lock.
Also to compile from gingerbread source you'll need to be running a 64bit os.

Sent from my MB865 using XDA

jimbridgman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,147

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrasner View Post
Nice! Glad to see you are getting into this. Get the 32 bit ubuntu for compatibility reasons. Give it a hard drive partition of 20 GB or so if you have enough room. I give 2 GB for swap space. you can do less if you have a ton of ram, or more if you only have a gig or something. linux is essential for rom building. do a search for rom kitchen and also apktool they are both essential to building roms. there is a post in the A2 dev section with a few other things and links to those if you want to check it out. From there open up your favorite custom rom with rom kitchen and build off of that if you want to make your life easier. Make sure you read what it says to do for building a simple rom for the bionic under that post I told you about. (I am to lazy to go find the link, but I am sure you can find it.) Good luck, and as always post questions here if you need help, and always remember that google is your best friend with this kind of thing!

You can actually run 64 bit ubuntu just fine, you just need to install the 32bit libs, and dev libs. I run 64 bit ubuntu as my main desktop, and I have had no issues with working on android stuff at all.

Just my .02 cents.

Jim
Nexus 5 (stock Kitkat 4.4)
Backup: Galaxy Nexus Running Ubuntu Phone OS

"Microsoft is the Evil Empire"
"I *nix UNIX we all scream for Linux"

If you don't have dropbox, go sign up here:
http://db.tt/SorT4X6q
You will get an extra 500MB, and so will I.

Jim

lkrasner
Old
Thanks Meter 593

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
You can actually run 64 bit ubuntu just fine, you just need to install the 32bit libs, and dev libs. I run 64 bit ubuntu as my main desktop, and I have had no issues with working on android stuff at all.

Just my .02 cents.

Jim
I know, I am not even talking strictly from an android development point of view, simply that you really wont need 64 bit with ubuntu and pretty much everything will work on 32 bit, but may be more difficult with 64 bit. you will not really see a performance increase for the most part, so there is just not much point for a less experienced user.
Samsung Galaxy S4 i337- Stock, but working on it
Nexus 7- Changes all the time, but currently PACman

Old Devices:

Motorola Atrix 2- Touch screen broke, followed by a swim in a lake,
Acer Iconia Tab a500- replaced with N7

Like XDA? Click Here To Donate

Quote:
If your question doesn't get answered quickly, it was stupid. Use the search button and Google before posting.