MHL cuts off the WIFI and Phone signal

Search This thread

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
sorry, my statements are not clear.

i just assumed that if you use micro USB to HDMI it will not work because it needs external or additional power.

i got that idea when i tried to use MHL HDTV Adapter + HDMI without extra power connected to the MHL.

but i might be wrong. maybe sgs2 detected MHL so i need to connect extra power. if you use micro USB to HDMI without MHL it might work.

im not really sure :) i hope somebody can confirm.

No, not how MHL works. It NEEDS power. If the HDMI port you plug into is MHL compliant (and not many are, yet) then it will draw power from there. Otherwise, the MHL adapter will need an AC adapter plugged into it for it to work.

Edit to add: you also seem to think you can use a micro USB to HDMI adapter that is non-MHL on this phone. That won't work either. (if I'm misinterpreting that, I apologize)

Last edited:

Flash05

Jul 13, 2010
ah so it will only work if the target device is MHL compliant. otherwise i need to manually power it.

so microUSB to HDMI will still work provided the TV is mhl compliant.

correct, right?

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
ah so it will only work if the target device is MHL compliant. otherwise i need to manually power it.

so microUSB to HDMI will still work provided the TV is mhl compliant.

correct, right?

Again, as long as you're using an MHL adapter. There also exist non-MHL micro USB to HDMI adapters, which don't have the necessary internal electronics.

BopNiblets

Oct 19, 2010
Hi guys, thanks for the advice to change the Wifi channel, that seemed to work for me, although it is incredibly slow, too slow to even stream a HD Youtube video, is this the same for everyone? :(
I recall I had it working for a while when I bought the MHL back in August 2011, but somewhere along the line the wifi started dropping.
I'm using a BizLink MHL, original power adapter, Pure ICS 4.0.3 (but it was the same on GB)
And I've changed to channel 5 (from 11) on a Linksys Wireless-N router.

Any help with moar speed would be cool!

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
Hi guys, thanks for the advice to change the Wifi channel, that seemed to work for me, although it is incredibly slow, too slow to even stream a HD Youtube video, is this the same for everyone? :(
I recall I had it working for a while when I bought the MHL back in August 2011, but somewhere along the line the wifi started dropping.
I'm using a BizLink MHL, original power adapter, Pure ICS 4.0.3 (but it was the same on GB)
And I've changed to channel 5 (from 11) on a Linksys Wireless-N router.

Any help with moar speed would be cool!

Try moar channels.

DrSlump76

May 20, 2011
Hi, i got the same problems here with a genuine samsung hdtv adapter and the official ics 4.0.3. rom (XWLP7), using the original power adapter, all connected to a samsung lcd tv.
:eek:

morgoth12

Jul 29, 2009
I got the same wifi issues as others mentioned.
Can someone explain to me why the wifi channel supposedly matters?
I mean my sgs2 works fine with the wifi channel it's on so how can using a MHL adapter make a difference?? I don't get it.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

changing channels did fix my wifi issue as well but i'm still baffled why it would matter at all?

Got a couple more questions:
How safe is it to use anower power adapter connected to the MHL adapter as has been suggested? What specs for current/voltage would work/should suffice?
When the phone is connected to the tv and it gets a call hdmi output gets dropped and besides that the image isnt always stable when changing phone orientation or resolution...i can get just "snow" and sound ticks for a few moments.
I got overscan issues as well..part of the image of the phone isnt displayed..anyting i can do to fix this?
Will updating to ICS 4.0.3 make a difference at all? My phone is still on Gingerbread 2.3.6 .
Last question: is it normal to have my tv displaying 1920x1280@30Hz when i connect the phone? (Samsung TV) i seemed to recall other devices connect @60Hz?

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
I mean my sgs2 works fine with the wifi channel it's on so how can using a MHL adapter make a difference?? I don't get it.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

changing channels did fix my wifi issue as well but i'm still baffled why it would matter at all?
It matters, because even if WiFi is a wireless signal, and HDMI through MHL is a wired signal, they're both still signals. Once you connect the HDMI cable to the MHL adapter, it may create signal interference that is affecting the specific frequency of the WiFi channel you are using. For example - you remember TV rabbit ear antennas, and FM radio antennas? You notice when you adjust them, when you're touching the antenna itself, the signal quality can be affected? In this case, when you connect the HDMI cable, it may create a localized signal on the phone that blocks the WiFi signal of the frequency that channel uses. Changing the channel changes the frequency (very slightly). I'd wager a bet that using an HDMI cable of a different length (much like lengthening or shortening an antenna) will also affect this, but I've never experimented with it, since I've never actually had the problem happen to me personally.

How safe is it to use anower power adapter connected to the MHL adapter as has been suggested? What specs for current/voltage would work/should suffice?
I've used a Blackberry charger (5v, 750mAh, which is the same as the charger that came with my phone) just fine. I've read others have used up to 1A chargers, but again, I've never tried personally.

When the phone is connected to the tv and it gets a call hdmi output gets dropped and besides that the image isnt always stable when changing phone orientation or resolution...i can get just "snow" and sound ticks for a few moments.
I got overscan issues as well..part of the image of the phone isnt displayed..anyting i can do to fix this?
I can't answer these... sorry.

Will updating to ICS 4.0.3 make a difference at all? My phone is still on Gingerbread 2.3.6 .
Not sure, (I'm also still on 2.3.6) are you talking about the signal interference, or the questions regarding receiving a call while plugged into MHL and overscan?

Last question: is it normal to have my tv displaying 1920x1280@30Hz when i connect the phone? (Samsung TV) i seemed to recall other devices connect @60Hz?
I can't answer this, I never checked the resolution. Sorry. Maybe someone else knows.

Reactions: E:V:A

Cryptopone

Mar 7, 2012
cryptopone.com
For those of you still following the thread for updates.

I managed to get my wifi working with the MHL adapter. I had to change my wifi channel on my router from channel 9 to channel 4. After that, the wifi worked when connected to my television.

So if you're running into this issue try changing the wifi channel to 1, 4, etc until you find one that works. It seems as through interference is affecting the wifi signal.

Reactions: rockfshr

bluehawkpim

Jun 13, 2012
Problem seems to be in data

Hi,

I've tested Mhl cable with data disabled (plane mode) with Wifi-WEP connection and it works. If your try with Wifi-WAP, it fails.

It seems enabling GSM or WCDMA data or Wifi-WAP causes problems on Mhl data output, but if you disable GSM, WCDMA and WPA it worked for me :)

Can anyone test it too?

bluehawkpim

Jun 13, 2012
Works with Shun Kernel

Hi,

I've flashed Shun 1.6 Kernel to my GT-I9100 and 3G, Wifi and Mhl works fine!! :D..

So if you have a rooted GT-I9100, install CWM and flash it to change this buggy official kernel.

maxal

Jan 17, 2012
Southampton
Just change the channel on your wifi router until you find one that doesn't cut out. Much easier and less painful than flashing a totally new ROM.

Thanks but I can't change the channel on the router as I am using a free wifi hotspot at work. Also flashing a different rom is not a problem as I am doing it all the time trying new roms.

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
Thanks but I can't change the channel on the router as I am using a free wifi hotspot at work. Also flashing a different rom is not a problem as I am doing it all the time trying new roms.

You could try a different HDMI cable that is either longer or shorter, as well. Sounds funky, but it will make a difference.

andyrynk

Jan 14, 2012
I9100 MHL HDMI WIFI & Phone signal - WIFI Router Channel

I'm using:

ICS 4.0.3
I9100XXLPS
Kernel - 3.0.15-I9100XWLP7-CL340913
Build - IML74K.XWLP7

When connected with MHL adapter My wifi would work for a short time, then would cut off.
The phone signal would could off immediately with the message - no signal available.

Changed channel on my Netgear router to 4 & all in now well.

Thanks to those that commented on this solution

:)

Quadrider10

Sep 21, 2012
www.youtube.com
this is happening to me too. im on rezound with those specsVVV. i tried to change the channel, and once i do it works for like 30 secs then it stops again. it dident even work with stock rom and kernel. what other settings can i change in the router to elp this? thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Had the same problem connecting to Wifi while using MHL but with a Galaxy Nexus. Then I read somewhere that it also had problems connecting to 5ghz networks with certain channels. So I changed the channel of my network from 10 to 4 and now it works without any problems...
    Hope it works for at least some of you
    [SOLVED] I'm using an original Samsung MHL adapter and i finally made it work: so i tried the foil trick, but it didnt do the job. I had my Wifi channel set to 11... Then i took the foil off, and changed it to 10. Nothing... Then i saw that my neighbours Wifi was visible from my phone, mine was not available. In my routers settings i could check out what channel he was using. It was channel 1. Changed my router to that, and boom, im just writing on my projector. Success.

The frequency of the working channel for me is 2.412 MHz, but i guess "channel 1" is standard for all routers. Steve said on this thread that channel 4 was working for him.

This will be very usefull when Ubuntu for Android will be natively available.

================
    GT-i9100 ICS 4.0.3

It matters, because even if WiFi is a wireless signal, and HDMI through MHL is a wired signal, they're both still signals. Once you connect the HDMI cable to the MHL adapter, it may create signal interference that is affecting the specific frequency of the WiFi channel you are using. For example - you remember TV rabbit ear antennas, and FM radio antennas? You notice when you adjust them, when you're touching the antenna itself, the signal quality can be affected? In this case, when you connect the HDMI cable, it may create a localized signal on the phone that blocks the WiFi signal of the frequency that channel uses. Changing the channel changes the frequency (very slightly). I'd wager a bet that using an HDMI cable of a different length (much like lengthening or shortening an antenna) will also affect this, but I've never experimented with it, since I've never actually had the problem happen to me personally.

I've used a Blackberry charger (5v, 750mAh, which is the same as the charger that came with my phone) just fine. I've read others have used up to 1A chargers, but again, I've never tried personally.

I can't answer these... sorry.

Not sure, (I'm also still on 2.3.6) are you talking about the signal interference, or the questions regarding receiving a call while plugged into MHL and overscan?

I can't answer this, I never checked the resolution. Sorry. Maybe someone else knows.
    For those of you still following the thread for updates.

I managed to get my wifi working with the MHL adapter. I had to change my wifi channel on my router from channel 9 to channel 4. After that, the wifi worked when connected to my television.

So if you're running into this issue try changing the wifi channel to 1, 4, etc until you find one that works. It seems as through interference is affecting the wifi signal.
    Hi, I have the same problem with the wifi cuting out, can you confirm which rom you using please.

alan

Just change the channel on your wifi router until you find one that doesn't cut out. Much easier and less painful than flashing a totally new ROM.