Nexus 7 4.2.2 JDQ39 update rolling out in USA?

Search This thread

JGuinan007

Jun 1, 2010
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6 Pro
OK just got off the phone with Google told me to sit tight and just wait til next fri to call back if I don't get the update OTA by then they are sending out the update to devices in packets with limited bandwith and everyone should be updated by next week OTA just might not have gotten to my specific serial number yet so no worries.:good:

just lou

Dec 8, 2010
New York
OK just got off the phone with Google told me to sit tight and just wait til next fri to call back if I don't get the update OTA by then they are sending out the update to devices in packets with limited bandwith and everyone should be updated by next week OTA just might not have gotten to my specific serial number yet so no worries.:good:

You called Google because you didn't get the OTA yet? Wouldn't it have been easier to just download and install it manually? :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: phillip1953

dalanik

Mar 25, 2009
Prague
OK, managed to install the update by the modified OTA posted here, but now It appears I am not rooted. I still have SuperSU installed, but i.e. when I run Titanium, it reports it won't work. What to do now?

cosimoss

Dec 25, 2010
London
Arrived in the UK this morning:

nexus77.jpg
nexus78.jpg

joetang97

Jun 3, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
Regarding the failed updating via recovery, it is indeed CWM or TWRP that is the sticking point.

Fixed by installing the recovery from the OTA or stock rom, running the update from android and then flash back the desired recovery and root again.

Now running 4.2.2 and no problems so far.

But why is stock recovery needed for some and not others for unlocked stock and rooted is still a mystery...

-Johannes-

Nov 6, 2012
Koblenz
AW: Nexus 7 4.2.2 JDQ39 update rolling out in USA?

Has someone a flashable zip for the new bootloader? Thx ;)

- sent from xperia s -

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Regarding the failed updating via recovery, it is indeed CWM or TWRP that is the sticking point.

Fixed by installing the recovery from the OTA or stock rom, running the update from android and then flash back the desired recovery and root again.

Now running 4.2.2 and no problems so far.

But why is stock recovery needed for some and not others for unlocked stock and rooted is still a mystery...

Are you on the 3G or wifi-only model?

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010

Well, the installer certainly does not remove the su binary nor the SuperSU.apk/Superuser.apk files; but it does do this:

OTA updater-script; said:
set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/xbin");

This has the effect of clearing the setuid bit on the su binary ... which should be enough to disable "root".

Clearly then everyone "loses root" immediately after the flash; to the extent that they don't experience this, it suggests that either the recovery or the early initial boot of the ROM in use performs the equivalent of

chown 0.0 /system/{x}bin/su
chmod 6755 /system/{x}bin/su

on behalf of the user. Voila! root is resurrected.

Obviously this can also be done manually in a recovery via adb or on-screen (TWRP) following the OTA flash.

It could also be that half of the folks on this thread think that root == having a custom recovery, and are somehow shocked that their recovery is overwritten by an update.

cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: PVL_93_RU

joetang97

Jun 3, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
Are you on the 3G or wifi-only model?

3G model.

Just download the required stock ROM and extract the recovery, flash stock recovery, update to 4.2.2, flash alt recovery and root again.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Well, the installer certainly does not remove the su binary nor the SuperSU.apk/Superuser.apk files; but it does do this:

This has the effect of clearing the setuid bit on the su binary ... which should be enough to disable "root".

Clearly then everyone "loses root" immediately after the flash; to the extent that they don't experience this, it suggests that either the recovery or the early initial boot of the ROM in use performs the equivalent of

chown 0.0 /system/{x}bin/su
chmod 6755 /system/{x}bin/su

on behalf of the user. Voila! root is resurrected.

Obviously this can also be done manually in a recovery via adb or on-screen (TWRP) following the OTA flash.

It could also be that half of the folks on this thread think that root == having a custom recovery, and are somehow shocked that their recovery is overwritten by an update.

cheers

Indeed, I think this method of flashing stock recovery should be able to fix some problems with "Status 7" when trying to update via alt recovery.

Obviously those that changed the build.prop will have to do more work to update to 4.2.2.

Either way, my Nexus 7 is running smoothly and not experienced any problems yet, hope that helps at least some who have problems updating to 4.2.2.

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
Indeed, I think this method of flashing stock recovery should be able to fix some problems with "Status 7" when trying to update via alt recovery.

Oops. Reading your prior post again I see you were wondering about flashing failures - as opposed to why there there are different experiences in apps getting root privilege following a successful flash. Different issues, really.

Almost every one of those so-called Status 7 messages that I've seen reported here are just checksum errors that arise from a rooted user having altered their stock ROM. I don't think it is a "which recovery am I using" issue, unless the failing assert() involves the device type or release version check.**

** It does appear their are reports accumulating that using anything but the stock recovery for tilapia devices is a bad idea.

devra1

Oct 8, 2011
How to get rid of "System UIDs Inconsistent"?

I was on 4.2.1, rooted, and with TWRP as recovery.
I wanted to get the OTA to 4.2.2 so I did full Titanium backup and then used the WugFresh toolkit to flash stock 4.2.1.
After flashing, I was offered the OTA which I allowed to install.
When finished, I got root back with Rootkeeper and restored all Apps and Data (not System data) with Titanium.

Everything was working, but on every reboot I got the message :
"System UIDs Inconsistent. UIDs on the system are inconsistent, you need to wipe your data partition or your device will be unstable."

I also found that My Phone Explorer would no longer connect via USB so I decided to go back to 4.2.1.

I again flashed it with the toolkit and did another restore with Titanium. Again, everything seems to be working, but I still get this message on every boot.

I thought using Titanium Backup was a standard way of restoring apps and data.
How do I get rid of this message without wiping and reinstalling all my Apps individually, which means losing all my game scores, etc?

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
How to get rid of "System UIDs Inconsistent"?

I was on 4.2.1, rooted, and with TWRP as recovery.
I wanted to get the OTA to 4.2.2 so I did full Titanium backup and then used the WugFresh toolkit to flash stock 4.2.1.
After flashing, I was offered the OTA which I allowed to install.
When finished, I got root back with Rootkeeper and restored all Apps and Data (not System data) with Titanium.

Everything was working, but on every reboot I got the message :
"System UIDs Inconsistent. UIDs on the system are inconsistent, you need to wipe your data partition or your device will be unstable."

I also found that My Phone Explorer would no longer connect via USB so I decided to go back to 4.2.1.

I again flashed it with the toolkit and did another restore with Titanium. Again, everything seems to be working, but I still get this message on every boot.

I thought using Titanium Backup was a standard way of restoring apps and data.
How do I get rid of this message without wiping and reinstalling all my Apps individually, which means losing all my game scores, etc?

You might need to painstakingly go through your installed apps one by one and figure out which pair of apps are conflicting on the same uid, or which app got installed with a uid that fails to match the file ownership info in /data/data

That's probably not as bad as it sounds.

$ su
# ls -lnd /data/data/*
# strings /data/system/packages.list

gives you both lists with the uids.

Probably it is a bit safer to do this via adb in recovery, as the filesystems will not be active while you are doing recursive chown

I've never really known whether the "fix permissions" menu pick in CWM/TWRP is attacking this problem or a different permissions problem. I wish I knew; did a search just now, and couldn't quickly find an answer - couldn't find the right tree for all the forests in the way.

If you find that answer, I'd be interested to hear about it; I'd rather that than try to go and find it in TWRP's git tree (don't know where to find that).

Edit/Update ----------------------------------

@devra1

I looked at the TWRP sources for fix permissions and indeed this looks like it does what you are looking for - it reads the package listing in /data/system/packages.xml and then enforces the uid/gid information found there on each app data folder.

My c++ reading skills aren't all they should be, but I note there is a place in there involving multi-user where the coder punted a little bit. Given that 4.2 is potentially multiuser (do you have more than one user set up?), I suppose YMMV.

Take a Android backup before you run fix permissions in the recovery; that way you can always revert if you don't care for the result.

good luck.

Last edited:

bbruce

Oct 13, 2007
OTA update - 4.2.2

To receive the OTA update I just have cleaned the data and forced to stop these services:

1 - Google services framework
2 - Google play services
3 - Google play store

Reactions: madbadmax

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
The ota and full image links are out. Why are people still wasting time with workarounds?

Sent from my Nexus 7 3G using Tapatalk

MrManson666

Jul 7, 2011
Strange. I've got a 3G model.
Yesterday it said there is an update available. I just tried to apply it but the procedure failed.
I could restart the N7 as normal but now it says the 4.2.1 ist the latest version?!

devra1

Oct 8, 2011
I looked at the TWRP sources for fix permissions and indeed this looks like it does what you are looking for - it reads the package listing in /data/system/packages.xml and then enforces the uid/gid information found there on each app data folder.

My c++ reading skills aren't all they should be, but I note there is a place in there involving multi-user where the coder punted a little bit. Given that 4.2 is potentially multiuser (do you have more than one user set up?), I suppose YMMV.

Take a Android backup before you run fix permissions in the recovery; that way you can always revert if you don't care for the result.

good luck.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I started comparing the uids as you suggested, but there were just too many. It would have taken ages.
After seeing your comment update, I decided to go for it. I do not have more than one user.
I allowed the OTA update to 4.2.2 (I had flashed back to 4.2.1 stock), rooted and flashed TWRP.
I was still getting the UID error so I did as you said and took a backup in TWRP and then let it do its thing.

:good: - all UIDs now fixed.

Once again, thank you for the help.

Just one last question, because I am a bit confused:

What did you mean by "Probably it is a bit safer to do this via adb in recovery...".
If I put the Nexus in Recovery mode, I cannot connect via ADB. Or did you mean something else?

Top Liked Posts