Remove webtop?

Search This thread

jbuggydroid

Jul 29, 2010
Hey guys I was just wondering if there was a way to completely our even partially remove webtop. I never use it nor care for it and wouldn't mind more room and hopefully more free memory.

Sent from my MOPHO using XDA App

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010
Hey guys I was just wondering if there was a way to completely our even partially remove webtop. I never use it nor care for it and wouldn't mind more room and hopefully more free memory.

Sent from my MOPHO using XDA App

Yeah, I'd be interested in this as well. Repartition the internal storage. I don't need or use webtop and I'd much rather have that space for apps.

This will probably require the unlocked bootloader, but even with that, directions haven't been posted on how to do this.

Kcarpenter

Nov 24, 2009
Clinton, TN
I worked a bit on adapting the FireRat partition mods, but haven't really had time to finish it up.

EDIT:
I should say that the reason it won't work at the moment is because I think we need some bootimg work- which isn't my best area, I really don't have a best area... anyways-
From what I can gather, we need to figure out how to do this:
You can boot a kernel with a modified partition table using one of two methods;
the "-c" parameter to fastboot allows you to add kernel parameters. This is good for booting RECOVERY images and applying custom layouts.

The second method is to build the custom layout into your boot.img or recovery.img.
This can be done using the "--cmdline" parameter to mkbootimg.
And since I don't have a x64 box, I can't build ------------------------------yup thats about it...maybe I can get mrinhart or shabby to help, but I really don't have a lot of time right now between my sons football practices/games, daughters Cheer and Dance, and work.

Last edited:

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com

First. ZOMBIES!!! (haven't slept in going on 38hrs so bear with me)

The repartition is more headache than it's worth. The chance of bricking and I mean replace phone level of bricking, is very high. The only thing else I can figure is to format the osh partition and make it readable as storage for CWM/TWRP backups or fastboot accessible in case of recovery failure. This won't recover the space used but would at least repurpose it.

I'm still in the process of working on a number of personal projects as well as trying to get some issues with the next ROM and Webtop release fixed so everything is in a "No ETA's" status.

Oh and I need to update the All Things MoPho thread on multiple sites.

hellot1M

Jul 15, 2010
First. ZOMBIES!!! (haven't slept in going on 38hrs so bear with me)

The repartition is more headache than it's worth. The chance of bricking and I mean replace phone level of bricking, is very high. The only thing else I can figure is to format the osh partition and make it readable as storage for CWM/TWRP backups or fastboot accessible in case of recovery failure. This won't recover the space used but would at least repurpose it.

I'm still in the process of working on a number of personal projects as well as trying to get some issues with the next ROM and Webtop release fixed so everything is in a "No ETA's" status.

Oh and I need to update the All Things MoPho thread on multiple sites.

Is there a way to have a full desktop Linux emulated environment in its place? Like some type of emulator to emulate any desktop Linux distro with a higher resolution than webtop

Sent from my I9300 using XDA

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Is there a way to have a full desktop Linux emulated environment in its place? Like some type of emulator to emulate any desktop Linux distro with a higher resolution than webtop

You don't need to emulate as Android=ARMLinux with a java frontend. This is demonstrated by the number of (insert disto here) on your phone projects here on xda and elsewhere. They are really running Linux on top of Linux.
How high of a resolution are you looking for? With tweaks, folks have been able to get 1080 output out of Webtop however 1366x768 really is it's sweet spot external output.
If by full desktop environment you mean a full version of KDE or Gnome, then no. I was able to get Gnome crammed into webtop but it required that I build it off device and remove everything not Gnome. It left no room for anything else and would have forced users to use webtop2sd as it had less than 50MB free space after cleaning the partition. It was actually more limited than webtop. To help put Webtop in a category here how it stands up against actual distros.

Webtop= Lubuntu running Avant instead of the built-in LXDE and most preinstalled apps removed.
Webtop+= Webtop with LXDE as its default so Lubuntu lite.
Ubuntop= Xubuntu lite with a ton of common apps installed.

Reactions: hellot1M

hellot1M

Jul 15, 2010
You don't need to emulate as Android=ARMLinux with a java frontend. This is demonstrated by the number of (insert disto here) on your phone projects here on xda and elsewhere. They are really running Linux on top of Linux.
How high of a resolution are you looking for? With tweaks, folks have been able to get 1080 output out of Webtop however 1366x768 really is it's sweet spot external output.
If by full desktop environment you mean a full version of KDE or Gnome, then no. I was able to get Gnome crammed into webtop but it required that I build it off device and remove everything not Gnome. It left no room for anything else and would have forced users to use webtop2sd as it had less than 50MB free space after cleaning the partition. It was actually more limited than webtop. To help put Webtop in a category here how it stands up against actual distros.

Webtop= Lubuntu running Avant instead of the built-in LXDE and most preinstalled apps removed.

Have you heard about GenTop2? I just happened to find this on the Atrix thread posted about an hour ago (ironic) would this work for the photon? I wouldn't see why not considering both have the same version of webtop

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1617684

Last edited:

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Have you heard about GenTop2? I just happened to find this on the Atrix thread posted about an hour ago (ironic) would this work for the photon? I wouldn't see why not considering both have the same version of webtop

It's a Webtop replacement and not a modification like Ubuntop. Unless Gentoo has changed, there's a ton of command line usage involved. This will scare off most linux users and almost all linux noobs. If I can get Ubuntop fixed and Gentoo ported it should cover just about all Webtop users. I'm waiting for a response back from Gendol to cut down on porting time.

Reactions: hellot1M

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any Luck on this?

It's a Webtop replacement and not a modification like Ubuntop. Unless Gentoo has changed, there's a ton of command line usage involved. This will scare off most linux users and almost all linux noobs. If I can get Ubuntop fixed and Gentoo ported it should cover just about all Webtop users. I'm waiting for a response back from Gendol to cut down on porting time.