[GUIDE] How to UNBRICK your Optimus G - security error, bootloop etc

Search This thread

Jugstah

Mar 19, 2010
maybe someone still has the old KDZ for the E971 that might work?

At least for rogers the old files are still there, follow the standard method to get the link. Replace E->D in the link (filename and last directory) and it should work. I am sure the same would apply for bell and telus as well if you know the old version number.

Reactions: solomon4400

Jugstah

Mar 19, 2010
So I would put E97110d and then serial # then download?

No,

Just put in your iemi to get the kdz url. Once you get the url, paste it into your browser and change the version of the rom to the old version...

I'd just post the link but I am not sure I am allowed to.

but everywhere you see E97110E in the url (2 places) replace E -> D.

Izzy Izumi

Dec 20, 2012
My problem was fixed. Thanks!

Ok I have figured it out. If anyone is having a similar issue here is what you do:

First follow the guide in this thread, if you are still stuck at boot logo even after the manual wipe power off your phone, hold down the power and volume down keys to enter factory reset mode and click power again to confirm a factory reset. This worked like a charm for me :)

Wow this worked for me! I was starting to get worried! Thanks everyone!

Just a recap on my situation. I have the E971 version. I rooted my device a few days ago. Then I installed the CM 10.1. I plugged the phone to my computer to transfer files. Unplugged it after I was finished. The phone turned off. Tried to boot up but it would only show the LG logo and then go blank again. I followed the "[GUIDE] How to UNBRICK your Optimus G - security error, bootloop etc" . I ended up with chadoumig's dead android boot animation. I then followed autotelic's advice and made sure to run "msxml.msi" before "KDZ_FW_UPD.exe" but then I ended up with a continuous LG boot up animation. Finally I followed Staz87's advice and did a factory reset. Phone is back to 4.0.4.:victory:

massih88

Dec 12, 2012
For whatever reasons (improper rooting/flashing, power outage during updating, freezing/removal of LG bloatwares or simple bad luck etc), if you bricked your Optimus G and is stuck with a Security Error or in a bootloop, fear not, as long as you can put it into Download and Recovery Mode, all is not lost.

I got the korean version of the (almost) Optimus G (Optimus LTE2, f160k) and ran into the same security error problem that happened out of the blue.

The steps that I undertook below resolved the problem for me and has been proven to work on Optimus G by fellow members.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34516791&postcount=29

1) Download the latest KDZ from LG's server for your phone via the app below (kudos to the creator)

http://www.mediafire.com/?cgeb6o5osy2yl9c

2) Make sure you have LG United Drivers already installed, otherwise download from below

http://www.mediafire.com/?82nt1aeh04aqa3m

3) Download LG KDZ Updater

http://www.mediafire.com/?sj5y073xal03ntw

4) Download the manual adb wipe batch file

http://www.mediafire.com/?ru7erfxsz7p7s3p

5) Put your Optimus G into Download Mode by switching it off, attaching the usb cable to the phone, holding both the up and down volume buttons at the same time and lastly inserting the usb cable into the computer; wait for the drivers to finish loading if doing it for the first time.

6) Unzip the downloaded updater zip file and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe. Use the settings below

Type: 3GQCT
Phone Mode: CS_Emergency
KDZ file: navigate to the folder which you have saved the downloaded KDZ from the step (1)

Click Launch Software Update and wait for the flash process to finish

7) Your phone will restart itself when IParam = 90 is displayed and proceed slower until you see IParam=1 again (which signals the end of flash, you can safely exit the program then and remove the cable from the phone). If phone boots up normally, congrats, skip the steps below and proceed to use the phone as per normal.

However, this most probably will not be the case for newer Optimus-es, as the data partition somehow wasn't wiped even when KDZ-ed, remaining 'dirty', thus causing bootloop or security infringement.

8) If the phone is stuck at the booting up LG/Telco logo, you will need to manually wipe the data partition.

9) Force the phone off by holding the power button for appx 15secs.

10) Put the phone into recovery mode by holding the volume up and home button concurrently, then press the power button. Let go of all the buttons after you see the LG logo on screen for the 2nd time and the screen goes blank thereafter (backlight may still be on). The phone will kind of reboot and then enters recovery mode. Repeat the process if you did not get it the first time.

11) With the phone in Recovery Mode, connect it to the computer, wait for the drivers to load (if doing it for the first time), unzip the wipe batch file downloaded earlier from step (4), double click on wipe.bat to execute the wipe command.

12) Your phone will auto reboot when wiped and (hopefully) boot as per normal.

Hope with this simple guide fellow members will feel safer when rooting or removing non essential LG wares from their Optimus G.

:)

hi there thanks for the guide;) i have one question. Step 6 :Type: 3GQCT
KDZ file: navigate to the folder which you have saved the downloaded KDZ from the step (1)

I cant get the the firmware in the KDZ file. (navigate to the folder which you have saved the downloaded KDZ from the step (1)) nothing to oprn there but i do have it in my downloads

gabby131

Sep 20, 2010
Winnipeg, MB Canada
I am still stuck at "not responding" window. I notice that within this non responding, the updater extracts the KDZ file to a .cab file so I did refreshing the directory where the .cab file is being extracted. When it was done...the updater still won't respond. Dunno what to do now but go to bed...:D

EDIT: I spoke too late and whined too early.....the drive i put my KDZ file was too slow. I did the same procedure on a different computer and it only took seconds to unpack and flash successful!

Last edited:

mandroid717

Jun 22, 2011
Ottawa
Ok I have figured it out. If anyone is having a similar issue here is what you do:

First follow the guide in this thread, if you are still stuck at boot logo even after the manual wipe power off your phone, hold down the power and volume down keys to enter factory reset mode and click power again to confirm a factory reset. This worked like a charm for me :)

My God man u saved me. I have been trying everything for the last 2 days. I will tell u one thing i am not rooting or unlocking till after the JB update this time. this all started after trying to install cm10.

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

Last edited:

metal_god69

Nov 26, 2011
Regina
Anyone on Bell E973 have the 10f .kdz? Using the Original LG Firmware program it finds the new 10h .kdz only.

Thanks for any help

potatohead

Feb 15, 2006
hi there thanks for the guide;) i have one question. Step 6 :Type: 3GQCT

I cant get the the firmware in the KDZ file. (navigate to the folder which you have saved the downloaded KDZ from the step (1)) nothing to oprn there but i do have it in my downloads

the kdz file IS the firmware, just choose it and click Launch Software Update :)

make sure you have already connected the phone in download mode

kifac

Mar 27, 2012
Mississauga
This doesnt seem to whip the device.
Im trying to get rid of everything on this device and start fresh since i received it as a demo phone it has all the bloatware added.

xerockz

Jan 20, 2012
I also have a display model or something similar. It's an E973 stamped *NOT FOR SALE* on the side. I am trying to root without luck and was sent here and told to load the old stock firmware. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the latest KDZ from LGs server. I have also tried the LG Mobile Support Tool to update but I get "Software update is not supported for this model".

The LG Support Tool reports model as LGE973AT and version as E97310g.

Software Information:
baseband APQ8064/MDM9x15M
kernel 3.0.21
build IMM76L
e97310g

IMEI is 354034050124768
IMEI SV 05

Also if it matters, the phone came unlocked and I am using it with Virgin. Will it still be unlocked if I change the firmware to Bell/Telus? I really hope someone can help me out here as I am unable to root currently :(.

trincisor

Feb 1, 2008
Nexus 7 (2013)
Asus Zenfone 5Z
Go here, replacing <yourimei> with your actual imei (just numbers, nothing else), it'll spit out a bunch of text including an address with the kdz.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=<yourimei>

I also have a display model or something similar. It's an E973 stamped *NOT FOR SALE* on the side. I am trying to root without luck and was sent here and told to load the old stock firmware. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the latest KDZ from LGs server. I have also tried the LG Mobile Support Tool to update but I get "Software update is not supported for this model".

The LG Support Tool reports model as LGE973AT and version as E97310g.

Software Information:
baseband APQ8064/MDM9x15M
kernel 3.0.21
build IMM76L
e97310g

IMEI is 354034050124768
IMEI SV 05

Also if it matters, the phone came unlocked and I am using it with Virgin. Will it still be unlocked if I change the firmware to Bell/Telus? I really hope someone can help me out here as I am unable to root currently :(.

Did you try that URL to download the kdz

If that didn't work see if someone has posted a link to e973 kdz
Or try to get a different imei for 973 either bus asking here or go to a store and get it from one of the for sale devices

Sent from my LG-E971 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: malestrom420

xerockz

Jan 20, 2012
Did you try that URL to download the kdz

If that didn't work see if someone has posted a link to e973 kdz
Or try to get a different imei for 973 either bus asking here or go to a store and get it from one of the for sale devices

Sent from my LG-E971 using xda app-developers app

Thanks for the reply, but I have tried the link as well with no luck.

If I can find an E973 KDZ will I still be carrier unlocked if I flash it? This might be obvious but I'm not 100% sure how that would work.

I will see if I can find another IMEI to use but I would like to know if I will run into issues with using Virgin. Also will everything get wiped by loading a different KDZ?
edit: Does anyone have an E973 IMEI I can use to generate the link?? or just mirror an e973 kdz in a pm?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

xerockz

Jan 20, 2012
I get PHONE NOT FOUND when trying to update. Am I supposed to do something with the wipe batch file?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For whatever reasons (improper rooting/flashing, power outage during updating, freezing/removal of LG bloatwares or simple bad luck etc), if you bricked your Optimus G and is stuck with a Security Error or in a bootloop, fear not, as long as you can put it into Download and Recovery Mode, all is not lost.

I got the korean version of the (almost) Optimus G (Optimus LTE2, f160k) and ran into the same security error problem that happened out of the blue.

The steps that I undertook below resolved the problem for me and has been proven to work on Optimus G by fellow members.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34516791&postcount=29

1) Download the latest KDZ from LG's server for your phone via the app below (kudos to the creator)

http://www.mediafire.com/?cgeb6o5osy2yl9c

2) Make sure you have LG United Drivers already installed, otherwise download from below

http://www.mediafire.com/?82nt1aeh04aqa3m

3) Download LG KDZ Updater

http://www.mediafire.com/?sj5y073xal03ntw

4) Download the manual adb wipe batch file

http://www.mediafire.com/?ru7erfxsz7p7s3p

5) Put your Optimus G into Download Mode by switching it off, attaching the usb cable to the phone, holding both the up and down volume buttons at the same time and lastly inserting the usb cable into the computer; wait for the drivers to finish loading if doing it for the first time.

6) Unzip the downloaded updater zip file and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe. Use the settings below

Type: 3GQCT

Click Launch Software Update and wait for the flash process to finish

7) Your phone will restart itself when IParam = 90 is displayed and proceed slower until you see IParam=1 again (which signals the end of flash, you can safely exit the program then and remove the cable from the phone). If phone boots up normally, congrats, skip the steps below and proceed to use the phone as per normal.

However, this most probably will not be the case for newer Optimus-es, as the data partition somehow wasn't wiped even when KDZ-ed, remaining 'dirty', thus causing bootloop or security infringement.

8) If the phone is stuck at the booting up LG/Telco logo, you will need to manually wipe the data partition.

9) Force the phone off by holding the power button for appx 15secs.

10) Put the phone into recovery mode by holding the volume up and home button concurrently, then press the power button. Let go of all the buttons after you see the LG logo on screen for the 2nd time and the screen goes blank thereafter (backlight may still be on). The phone will kind of reboot and then enters recovery mode. Repeat the process if you did not get it the first time.

11) With the phone in Recovery Mode, connect it to the computer, wait for the drivers to load (if doing it for the first time), unzip the wipe batch file downloaded earlier from step (4), double click on wipe.bat to execute the wipe command.

12) Your phone will auto reboot when wiped and (hopefully) boot as per normal.

Hope with this simple guide fellow members will feel safer when rooting or removing non essential LG wares from their Optimus G.

I have E973 from Bell and it's been bricked since sunday after renaming couple of system apps.
    I am trying to follow the instruction above but i can't download KDZ file with LG firmware downloader bc it just would not take my SN.
    Error msg is "unsuccessful in connecting to server orphone infomations is wrong!"
    Could anyone upload KDZ file for Bell E973 somewhere on the net that i can download?

It would be much appreciated..

Go here, replacing <yourimei> with your actual imei (just numbers, nothing else), it'll spit out a bunch of text including an address with the kdz.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=<yourimei>
    Thanks for your response! So this method only works for the Sprint version??

as far as i know this this methode may work for sprint/att altho i think lgnpst is better/easier but only available for sprint and att phones

the kdz method is what roger/bell/telus, korean, japan use to recover
    I have E973 from Bell and it's been bricked since sunday after renaming couple of system apps.
    I am trying to follow the instruction above but i can't download KDZ file with LG firmware downloader bc it just would not take my SN.
    Error msg is "unsuccessful in connecting to server orphone infomations is wrong!"
    Could anyone upload KDZ file for Bell E973 somewhere on the net that i can download?

It would be much appreciated..

2nd thracky's view.

would recommend u do it on the PC, use the app, enter your model E973, enter your imei (15 digits, usually means omitting the the last 0 or digit), shd be able to download your KDZ.