Ice cream sandwich on kindle fire [14-Dec]

Search This thread

rukin5197

Jul 26, 2011
I tried playing a video on the browser and it was HORRIBLY buggy. Probably expected due to pre-pre-pre alpha stage, but just letting you know ;)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

big gulps huh?

Aug 30, 2011
Colorado Springs
So.... I installed over cm7 (no wipe at all) and all my apps work with no force closes (well for the most part). This is simply amazing! Besides the SD and sound issue this would be my daily rom

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

iluretar

Apr 9, 2011
Santa Cruz
I tried playing a video on the browser and it was HORRIBLY buggy. Probably expected due to pre-pre-pre alpha stage, but just letting you know ;)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
yep, probably hardware accelerated video is not working as well as hw composition and probably more stuff but excellent work so far, another thing i noticed looking at cpu spy is that it was a lot at 1008mhz and 600 and 300 were barely used, back to cm7 for now but i'll be watching progress closely, once again excellent job

rukin5197

Jul 26, 2011
yep, probably hardware accelerated video is not working as well as hw composition and probably more stuff but excellent work so far, another thing i noticed looking at cpu spy is that it was a lot at 1008mhz and 600 and 300 were barely used, back to cm7 for now but i'll be watching progress closely, once again excellent job

Well I installed the Gapps and it's now going to be my daily rom. I just wish someone could perhaps upload their facebook for android apk and twitter apk so I could get it because it's not letting me get it in the market. Saying it's "incompatible with this device" even though I used it in CM7...

tannerzion

Aug 4, 2011
I'll have some quick joy on ICS and then delete everything and go to stock, sending it in for replacement tomorrow.

theholyfork

Jun 10, 2011
East Lansing, MI
What adb commands do you use to push files to your sdcard?
I use adb push <apk_name_here>.apk /mnt/sdcard/<file_name>
But I'm half of the time getting the error:
Code:
error: device not found
and the other half working...

None, I just hooked the Kindle up as a mass storage device and dragged and dropped onto the root of the SD Card

Edit: Just realized it might not be the same with ICS. I haven't flashed the ROM, I'm on CM7 right now, so I just pulled the .apk's and uploaded them.

Last edited:

rukin5197

Jul 26, 2011
@JackpotClavin, I would recommend starting your thread now. A lot of people are now using this this thread to criticize your rom (including myself) Let's remember this is g101's thread ;)

Sent from the Kindle Fire running tasty ICS.

shefo

Aug 15, 2011
Do not forget to handle the mic problem "external mics only works with certain apps"
please :D , I will donate for the first time in my life if you handled this problem :)

riverzhou

Dec 2, 2006
Shanghai
grep sdcard output:

/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/media /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=continue 0 0

unmounting and remounting didn't work

the command
cat /proc/mounts on my galaxy nexus:
/dev/fuse /mnt/sdcard fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0

does ICS use a new type of mounting using this fuse thing? i could run a command on my nexus, but on the kindle fire i cannot use /dev/fuse because it's not there

I really wanted to get this sdcard crap sorted out and release a pre-alpha christmas morning but it's not looking like it :/

[ ] FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) support

CONFIG_FUSE_FS:

With FUSE it is possible to implement a fully functional filesystem
in a userspace program.

There's also companion library: libfuse. This library along with
utilities is available from the FUSE homepage:
<http://fuse.sourceforge.net/>

See <file:Documentation/filesystems/fuse.txt> for more information.
See <file:Documentation/Changes> for needed library/utility version.

As I know, zfs for linux is implemented by fuse .

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

If I had to guess why that happens, it's because some apps use /mnt/sdcard as the default location (which will work for us in this condition) and some apps use just /sdcard which does not work for us in this condition. If I'm right, these problems should be rectified once we get /sdcard working as it should

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

I think it's because of Google take a new security policy for sdcard on ICS.
I think a good way for this issue is take a look at other ICS port version, such as Nook Color.

bl1nkk

Jun 16, 2010
Baunatal
mrks.me
I think it's because of Google take a new security policy for sdcard on ICS.
I think a good way for this issue is take a look at other ICS port version, such as Nook Color.

I'd say we should have a look at the Nexus S source, as this has USB mounting support in ICS.

For landscape support in the launcher flash this zip in TWRP, it has a menu button in the drawer.

I get a lot of wifi disconnects btw.

Wifi disconnects because the kindle wants to switch to bluetooth tether, so this should be easy to fix as long as JackpotClavin and/or hash code update the github repo. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DeerSteak

Ongoy

Sep 24, 2010
I'd say we should have a look at the Nexus S source, as this has USB mounting support in ICS.

For landscape support in the launcher flash this zip in TWRP, it has a menu button in the drawer.

I get a lot of wifi disconnects btw.

Wifi disconnects because the kindle wants to switch to bluetooth tether, so this should be easy to fix as long as JackpotClavin and/or hash code update the github repo. :)

A lot of roms have this app baked in in order to enable USB mounting.

JackpotClavin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2011
New York
just got the sdcard to mount exactly as we need it :) i copied vold from our cm7 and it works fine.. not sure as to why it broke on ics, but i haven't had any problems as of yet *fingers crossed. i was able to download things from the browser that didn't work yesterday due to the browser not being able to find the sdcard. i was also able to to go settings -> security -> install certificates from sdcard to which i got the error "no certificates on sdcard" whereas in your builds it would say there is no sdcard or something like that. either way, it means our system can look through /sdcard which is exactly what we need :)

edit: and with that said, as i was typing this, a new thread was created so we should all begin to post our findings there :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After few weeks of hardworking, just got ice cream sandwich run on my kindle fire.

moooom.dyndns.info/?p=107

Things works:
    1. Touch pannel.
    2. Hardware graphics
    3. Audio

Things don't work:
    wifi, accelerometer, light sensor.

I'll release my kernel codes and android source after cleaning up.
    Cheers!

Edit: [14-Dec-2011]
    Audio works now.
    Hi All,

I know that this is going to make me sound like a complete jerk but please believe (and i cant stress this enough) that thats not my intention. I would like to make a plea to all on this thread to see if we can avoid the one liners that contain no relevant information such as the "wow awesome, thanks!" and "cant wait to try it!" posts. I am very interested to follow this thread and all the miscellaneous comments make things very hard to read. The thread for the rom im using for my phone is up to about 280 pages of posts, a good 75% of them are of the type i just mentioned.

No please dont misunderstand im all for supporting and thanking the incredible people who work very hard to give us these roms and have made it my custom to donate 20$ to the developers of the roms i am using. Can we agree to show our gratitude this way and privately rather than clogging up the thread with all the non information posts?

I know everyone prob thinks im a giant a$$-0 right now but im hoping its in everyones best interest who is interested in keeping up with this thread.
    Where will source code be upload to?
    Kernel source is uploaded to github
    https://github.com/g1011999/Android-kernel-for-kindle-fire
    use otter_android_defconfig to compile.
    Not sure if this makes much of a difference now, but I PM'd blazingwolf, the guy who ported ics to the a500, about our wifi and he replied:

just trying to fix some minor things now and we should have a super alpha out in a few days ;D
    the mount bind didn't do the trick :/

here guys i ran out of options to get the sdcard to properly work. merry christmas

back your stuff up and do a FACTORY WIPE in twrp and then install. i'm not gonna troubleshoot any problems in your installation process or anything as i will be busy for the next few days so only install if you are a dev and know what you're doing :)

this isn't meant as an alpha, just putting it out there for folks to do their own troubleshooting as to why the sdcard doesn't properly work

http://www.mediafire.com/?29i5r0k1lvnujmr

821a44ed5cf44f6be1110da868de9ddd tryforsdcard.zip

i added a file into the .zip so the signature test in twrp will not pass, the md5sum of file itself will be 821a44ed5cf44f6be1110da868de9ddd as i generated that after i added the files :)

happy holidays folks