[HELP]Rooting+CWM Recovery+CM11 flashing

Search This thread

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
Hey guys.
My final goal is to get Cyanogenmod11 on my Atrix 2.
I know there are 3 stages to do this.
Atrix 2 Specs:
  • Official ICS 4.0.4
  • Unrooted
What I am planning to do:
Where I need help:
  • 1. I want to know if the rooting method and the CWM method will work.
  • 2. I can't find any proper CM11 ROM+GApps where people have commented "success!"
  • 3. All the tutorials I find just say use BMM. I want to use CWM, how do I go about flashing a ROM with CWM (Bootstrap) on Atrix 2? Can I get some steps for this?
  • 4. My motorola drivers are from https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481 , if that's right.
I'm requesting the amazing xda-devs team for help.. thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

noranora

Jul 23, 2013
1. You posted this on the wrong section.
2. Rooting method will work. But will not. Why? You'll find out momentarily.
3. I think in every thread, including cm has gapps' link. Any gapps will do fine. Unless that is specified by the dev.
3. Here's the answer. All roms here only use BMM to flash. No other. There's a reason why the tutorials say BMM. Fyi, BMM is cwm based.
4. Head over to general section. There you will find a tutorial how to set BMM up.
5. If this is so hard for you, the most preliminary step is a must for you. Snoop around and read.

Sent from my MB865 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

2. Rooting method will work. But CWM will not. Why? You'll find out momentarily.
3. I think in every thread, including cm has gapps' link. Any gapps will do fine. Unless that is specified by the dev.
3. Here's the answer. All roms here only use BMM to flash. No other. There's a reason why the tutorials say BMM. Fyi, BMM is cwm based.
4. Head over to general section. There you will find a tutorial how to set BMM up.
5. If this is so hard for you, the most preliminary step is a must for you. Snoop around and read.

Reactions: 1BadWolf

sameerm02

Jul 24, 2013
Pune
BMM is not that hard to use as it look !! :angel:

Even I also got confused for very first time after watching the video, but dont worry you can do it it not that difficult

Just root your phone by any method then

install BMM from play store -->> open it -->> give root access to it -->> let it do its work -->> i dont remember but may be it will restart phone, if not then restart your phone (after its work is finished) -->> on restart -->> you will see motorola logo and after that android logo (green) -->> click on it -->> then follow the BMM vdo tutorial

(I am kinda lazy about writing all steps :p )

PM me or any member we will help you if you stuck anywhere..... but you have to watch the complete vdo and try to understand it first

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Yeah, kinda sorry about the wrong section thing, I guess I should've posted it in the help section. Btw what do you mean when you say the rooting method will not work? And what I mean by the cm11 threads is that they provide non working gapps where many users have complained of an error "installation aborted".. Thanks though.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CyanogenMod 11

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
BMM is not that hard to use as it look !! :angel:

Even I also got confused for very first time after watching the video, but dont worry you can do it it not that difficult

Just root your phone by any method then

install BMM from play store -->> open it -->> give root access to it -->> let it do its work -->> i dont remember but may be it will restart phone, if not then restart your phone (after its work is finished) -->> on restart -->> you will see motorola logo and after that android logo (green) -->> click on it -->> then follow the BMM vdo tutorial

(I am kinda lazy about writing all steps :p )

PM me or any member we will help you if you stuck anywhere..... but you have to watch the complete vdo and try to understand it first

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate this. But my main worry was the partitions. Its extremely complicating, and I thought clockwork mod recovery aka bootstrap was a better and easier option.

noranora

Jul 23, 2013
Opps. My bad. The rooting method will work. But CWM will not. Because if you want to flash kk rom, you'll need BMM. I'm pretty sure altered stated that, any gapps will do fine. But preferably pa gapps. But if you want it running on main system, you need other gapps. As pa minimal gapps too big for our data partition. So there it is. Fail to install. As for allocating partition for other system, it's pretty simple and easy actually. I'll leave sameer or other member to answer.

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
Opps. My bad. The rooting method will work. But CWM will not. Because if you want to flash kk rom, you'll need BMM. I'm pretty sure altered stated that, any gapps will do fine. But preferably pa gapps. But if you want it running on main system, you need other gapps. As pa minimal gapps too big for our data partition. So there it is. Fail to install. As for allocating partition for other system, it's pretty simple and easy actually. I'll leave sameer or other member to answer.

This is really complicated now.. I had installed CyanogenMod on a Motorola defy and my kindle fire, and there were no partitions and stuff. I don't care much for dual boot and partitions.. Not like I like Motorola's OS anyway. Thanks though.

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
I can rephrase my queries.
What I'm having issues with is:
  • I don't want to have multi boot or partitions, installing CM11 as the default boot is preferable.
  • It would be cool if I could get quick help on installing BMM, it's very confusing.
  • Also, flashing the ROM with BMM is also very confusing.
Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Rooted phone.

Last edited:

Mindvisi0n

Jul 6, 2014

1BadWolf

Aug 12, 2012
Nowhere, Louisiana
[*]I don't want to have multi boot or partitions, installing CM11 as the default boot is preferable.

If you don't want multiple partitions the don't set any up. Just skip that part. I never use more than one ROM either.

[*]It would be cool if I could get quick help on installing BMM, it's very confusing.

Download the app, open it, select "install". Done.

[*]Also, flashing the ROM with BMM is also very confusing.

Reboot the phone. After the Motorola logo you'll see an green android with spinning gears. Within 3 seconds tap on the android. Then select "recovery". Go to "wipe and clean" and do a factory reset. Go back and select "install zip package", then "install zip from storage". Choose the file from your SD card using the volume keys to navigate and power to select. Install gapps the same way then reboot. Done.

Reactions: noranora
I can rephrase my queries.
What I'm having issues with is:
  • I don't want to have multi boot or partitions, installing CM11 as the default boot is preferable.
  • It would be cool if I could get quick help on installing BMM, it's very confusing.
  • Also, flashing the ROM with BMM is also very confusing.
Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Rooted phone.

Ok...i will try to keep it as simple as i can

1) It would be cool if I could get quick help on installing BMM, it's very confusing.
Ans :
Please , i say please if u want to go somewhere with your A2 , u hav to start loving BMM and love it truely madly deeply because without it A2 wouldnt get any of the goodies it has.The video is confusing i agree..i didnt do it when the video was out...Its fairly simple you know...here i list the easy steps..follow them 1 by 1 and do it simultaneously with your device....it wont be difficult...
You can find the complete instructions in the quote below :

>Download and install BMM from google play https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...otmenu.manager
>Our phone does not have a partition for internal storage.. so we use the data partition for it.. To do so, just open a root browser like root explorer and navigate to /etc/bmm/conf
>Open "recovery.fstab" with a text editor
The last line will be something like this

/int vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p25

Just change 'vfat' to 'auto' and 'mmcblk1p25' to 'userdata' (its the same though..)
So that it looks like this

/int auto /dev/block/userdata

and of course save it and close it..
Done.. you are good to go.. Happy Multi Booting..
Just some tips

On your first reboot, tap the android, go to settings-->System_2-->Partition setup and tap on ACTIVATE. This formats cdrom partition to ext2.
Now go back 2 two steps, and select any other system(3-6). choose Partition setup, tap on system.img, tap on Create, select the size, create it. go back and do the same with data.img and cache.img.
Once thats done, go back and select recovery, select switch system. choose your system that you created the images for, the colour will change, install any custom rom.. Enjoy!!

NOTE: BMM stores the images in internal memory(/int/clockworkmod/virtual/system_(num)). Since we dont have emmc partition and are using the data partition for /int, doing a factory reset will wipe it out and you will lose all your other roms.. So be carefull..

NOTE 2: USE ONLY SYSTEMS 3 TO 6 FOR CUSTOM ROMS.. SUSTEM 2 IS CDROM PARTITION.. YOU ACTIVATE IT ONCE AND DONE.. DONT TOUCH IT AGAIN.. ITS ONLY 12MB..

IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL BMM IF YOU USED A2 BOOTSTRAPPER BEFORE. THAT WILL MESS THINGS UP WITH YOUR LOGWRAPPER.BIN. THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL BOOT LOOP AFTER REBOOT. NOW IF FOR SOME REASON YOU DID NOT READ THIS, AND GET A MESSAGE ABOUT BMM ASKING YOU TO GET HELP, BEST THING FOR YOU TO DO IS RECHARGE YOUR BATTERY FULLY AND FXZ BACK. OR THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL HAVE TO USE MCGRUVYER METHOD OR ANOTHER A2 BATTERY. USER RAD7 RECENTLY HAD QUITE A LOT OF TROUBLE WITH HIS BATTERY DYING AFTER BMM MESSED WITH LOGWRAPPER. YOU HAVE BEEN INFORMED.

2) I don't want to have multi boot or partitions, installing CM11 as the default boot is preferable.
Ans :You dont need to multi boot mandatorily.You can flash any ROM of your choice on system 1. That will be the only single ROM you have on your device...
Again..really sorry..BMM is the way...You hav to learn to love it....and it will love your phone back

3) Also, flashing the ROM with BMM is also very confusing.
Ans : After you install and go through the UI once. I bet it will be the simplest thing you ever used..Even more simple than the FB app u regularly use :silly::silly:

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks to both of you guys :D
Installed BMM, but need to flash ROM on system 1. Don't really care about multi boot.. how do I just do that with BMM? o_O

1BadWolf

Aug 12, 2012
Nowhere, Louisiana
thanks to both of you guys :d
installed bmm, but need to flash rom on system 1. Don't really care about multi boot.. How do i just do that with bmm? o_O

↓↓↓↓

reboot the phone. After the motorola logo you'll see an green android with spinning gears. Within 3 seconds tap on the android. Then select "recovery". Go to "wipe and clean" and do a factory reset. Go back and select "install zip package", then "install zip from storage". Choose the file from your sd card using the volume keys to navigate and power to select. Install gapps the same way then reboot. Done.

androidnewbie123 said:
Thanks to both of you guys
Installed BMM, but need to flash ROM on system 1. Don't really care about multi boot.. how do I just do that with BMM? o_O

Also remember ..as you are going to install on system 1...only BANKS MINIMAL GAPPS will work...Link to BANKS Minimal is there in the CM11 thread by ALtered
Happy flashing

Reactions: 1BadWolf

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. Rooting method will work. But CWM will not. Why? You'll find out momentarily.

[*]I don't want to have multi boot or partitions, installing CM11 as the default boot is preferable.

If you don't want multiple partitions the don't set any up. Just skip that part. I never use more than one ROM either.

[*]It would be cool if I could get quick help on installing BMM, it's very confusing.

Download the app, open it, select "install". Done.

[*]Also, flashing the ROM with BMM is also very confusing.

Reboot the phone. After the Motorola logo you'll see an green android with spinning gears. Within 3 seconds tap on the android. Then select "recovery". Go to "wipe and clean" and do a factory reset. Go back and select "install zip package", then "install zip from storage". Choose the file from your SD card using the volume keys to navigate and power to select. Install gapps the same way then reboot. Done.
    androidnewbie123 said:
    Thanks to both of you guys

Also remember ..as you are going to install on system 1...only BANKS MINIMAL GAPPS will work...Link to BANKS Minimal is there in the CM11 thread by ALtered
    Happy flashing